S.O.S from Old Trafford

S.O.S from Old Trafford

26 Aug 2016, 18:24 #1

Help desperately needed by Lancashire .....are you all confident of beating our relegation rivals Hampshire next week?

We are relying on Yorkshire to do us a favour and we will try (don't hold your breath) to hold up Middlesex's title charge at Old Trafford in our penultimate match.

Do any of you think Anderson should be made available to play in any of the final 3 games. He was NOT made available by England to play at The Oval this week, yet Broad was available for our relgation rivals Notts (he pulled out injured) and Cook played for Essex at Leicester.

Does not seem fair to me when titles and relegation is at stake.

Good luck at Southampton.

26 Aug 2016, 18:29 #2

Bizarre if Broad was available and not selected especially when they lost Ball.

But think Broad picked up a knock somewhere whilst signing to play in the Big Bash?

If the red rose could just avoid defeat v Middlesex it would help but not sure this is possible. But Middlesex may be missing a few with England and Ireland who have some games in a Mickey Mouse ICC event which will see Stirling and Murtagh unavailable.

26 Aug 2016, 18:34 #3

Has a moderator "spiked" my original post and left up the duplicate?

I read on Cricinfo that Broad was given the go-ahead to play against Yorkshire only to pull out with a injury niggle.

26 Aug 2016, 18:53 #4

Yes. I deleted the duplicate. They were the same were they not? Apologies, if I have deleted the wrong one, but the system deletes all replies as well, so I deleted the one with no replies.

26 Aug 2016, 19:02 #5

Hard to see anything but a draw down there, unless they want to contrive a result like last year. If it follows the same pattern as other matches on such roads this season we'll lose the toss, bowl first with little reward and be left fighting for a draw for the remainder of the game. A Hampshire draw wouldn't be the worst result for Lancs though

26 Aug 2016, 19:16 #6

Surrey managed to win at Southampton - but only just taking the last couple of wickets in the last half hour.

Lancs were a bit lucky to get a draw there after following on. Hampshire scored big but too slowly.

27 Aug 2016, 13:43 #7

Well we now have the answer that Anderson will not play again this summer as he requires "ongoing rehabilitation" following his shoulder injury. Ditto Broad with his ankle, so at least they are being consistent.

27 Aug 2016, 17:32 #8

Yes...Anderson is having "ongoing rehabilitation" on an injury which (a) does not exist or (b) is very minor (admitted by the ECB themselves before the Test series against Pakistan).

Jimmy A would have come in handy in against Middlesex at OT, but perhaps the leaders have friends in high places? My conspiracy theory. What odds Buttler - yet to play a four-day game for us this season - will be made unavailable to Lancs because he needs "ongoing rehabilitation" to his thumb?

Have Yorkshire got a spare seamer they could loan us? We have Jarvis and Smith (now injured) but the rest are not even Division Two standard.

Cannot believe we have not replaced Wagner as overseas after his call-up. Kent have signed Viljoen and Worcs have taken on Miguel Cummins while Giles and his team sleepwalk towards relegation. Laughably, Giles was talking about winning the title until the Surrey loss.

27 Aug 2016, 18:43 #9

Howden --- Have great sympathy with you, perhaps you appreciate how we feel when our England players are never made available (4 or 5 at a time).

As for a loanee - perhaps Matthew Fisher?! Can`t see that we will need him and he is now fit.

27 Aug 2016, 19:38 #10

I'm sure we'll do our best for Lanky; after all, we have a stake in the result too - just a bit!

The ECB showed their contempt for the county game when they allowed Stokes to play for Durham but pulled Anderson out of the Lancashire side, then took Moores for the U19s when Lancs had both their regular keepers unavailable.

Hampshire need to win the game, so presumably they will prepare a pitch accordingly. I don't think they can hope for a big batting-point draw against Yorkshire, and then rely on winning the other games. Likewise Lancashire v Somerset. We had a pretty flat pitch at OT for the Roses match, which did the home side no favours. They need something more sporting against the powerful Somerset batting. If they go for the bore-draw and find Hampshire have won, they will look very silly.

It's a shame Wagner is not available, but at least some of the younger players have made progress this summer - Hameed, Livingstone, Lilley and Clark especially.

I was going to go to this game but made a late decision to travel down to Southampton.