S.O.S from Old Trafford

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

August 28th, 2016, 6:51 pm #11

Yes...Dave Morton mentions the Lancs v Durham game at Southport when Anderson was allowed to play ONLY the first two innings of the match but Stokes all FOUR innings for Durham.

Durham squeezed home by two wickets in a close encounter which could have gone either way. Anderson's second innings replacement was the ineffectual Nathan Buck whose figures were 4-0-26-0 as Durham chased down a target of 250 with Stokes guiding them home despite Tom Smith's five-wicket spell.

At the time, Durham were serious title contenders but they have lost two matches since and have slipped into relegation trouble with us and Hampshire.

If, at the end of the season, Durham survive at Lancashire's expense (by a margin of 32 points or less) serious questions could be asked re: the Anderson/Stokes "farce".

August 28th, 2016, 7:24 pm #12

To refer to Stu's comment of last evening about 4 or 5 players in the England side think of it another way, Yorkshire have developed (some of) these players to be good enough to play for their country: Lancashire's current players, Anderson excepted, just aren't good enough to play for England. Perhaps apologies to Mr. Buttler, who of course was imported but hasn't played first-class cricket for Lancashire this season anyway.

As well as Fisher, how about a loan of Leaning? I am aware of the endless stick he gets, but this is meant to be a serious suggestion. He clearly has talent and maybe a change of scenery would do him good and be beneficial to both parties.

August 28th, 2016, 8:06 pm #13

I think you'll be seeing Haseem Hameed as Alistair Cook's opening partner sooner than you think. Maybe even this winter in Bangladesh and India.

August 29th, 2016, 7:35 am #14

have to agree with that.

I wouldn't count on Hameed playing much cricket for lancs next season.

August 29th, 2016, 12:19 pm #15

We'll see, he's 19 and not played a full season of FC cricket yet, there have been a number of young players who've come into county cricket and made a big impact in their first season only to find it a bit tougher second time around as the pros start to pick their technique apart; we were probably saying similar things after Lees' first season of county cricket for instance. I'm sure Hameed is an excellent prospect but let's not put too much pressure on him.

August 29th, 2016, 2:25 pm #16

have to agree with that.

I wouldn't count on Hameed playing much cricket for lancs next season.
The only consolation for Lancs if they lose Hameed to England is that he is unlikely to make the ODI and Twenty20 teams, so he should still be available for a decent number of championship matches (in the same way as Cook - 6 matches for Essex so far this season).

August 29th, 2016, 7:48 pm #17

1. Cook
2. Hameed
3. Root
4. Bell or Joe Clarke
5. Bairstow
6. Stokes
7. Foakes (wk)

How can that not be an improvement on 2016? There are alternatives, too. Gubbins, for example, if Hameed is thought to need more time; Hain, if and when he becomes England qualified.

With so many of the bowlers having genuine batting ability, we should also be able to field our BEST spinners, whoever they may be, two of them in sub-continent this winter.
Bowlers win matches

August 29th, 2016, 7:55 pm #18

I would be interested to know why you believe Bell should be deserving of a recall, Dave. He doesn't appear to have done much in the Championship, and looked completely out of sorts when we played them a few weeks ago

August 30th, 2016, 7:33 am #19

Bell may have turned heads with a well timed one day knock on tv yesterday.

It would be a mistake to go back to him based on his performance at headingley a few weeks ago though. Pick Hain before him.

August 30th, 2016, 8:19 am #20

Are you sure that's not a typo and you meant Bell-Drummond?

I'd like to see Hameed given a while yet, perhaps ease him in with a home test. Livingstone isn't a bad shout for the future either.