RLODC v Notts pre-match thread

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

RLODC v Notts pre-match thread

April 27th, 2017, 2:28 pm #1

from the OS

Yorkshire’s 13-man squad to face Notts Outlaws:
Gary Ballance (Captain), Jonny Bairstow (Wicketkeeper), Tim Bresnan, Matthew Fisher, Peter Handscomb, Jack Leaning, Adam Lyth, Liam Plunkett, Azeem Rafiq, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Matthew Waite, David Willey.

No Lees, so last years 1 day Captain not in the team. Waite & Rafiq to miss out??

April 27th, 2017, 2:51 pm #2

Going to predict Fisher and Rafiq to miss out looking at that squad.
Sure Lees will be back when the England players depart us, but of squad rotation.

Getting the train down to this one as the weather looks cool but dry.
Trent Bridge is one of my favourite cricket grounds.
Should be a decent number of well known players from each side if Hales, Broad and Ball are selected for Notts.

April 27th, 2017, 2:55 pm #3

from the OS

Gary Ballance (Captain), Jonny Bairstow (Wicketkeeper), Tim Bresnan, Matthew Fisher, Peter Handscomb, Jack Leaning, Adam Lyth, Liam Plunkett, Azeem Rafiq, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Matthew Waite, David Willey.

No Lees, so last years 1 day Captain not in the team. Waite & Rafiq to miss out??
Looking forward to this it's virtually a home game for me.
And Glenn McGrath dismissed for 2 just 98 runs short of his century.
Richie Benaud

April 27th, 2017, 3:01 pm #4

from the OS

It should be a good close game. Broad, Ball, Gurney & Pattinson looks a very tasty bowling attack and ours is not to shabby with Bresnan, Willey, Plunkett, Fisher & Rashid.

Batting wise, if our Internationals hit form we have the edge, but Hales can be devastating on his day.

April 27th, 2017, 4:09 pm #5

from the OS

Do we think they'll go with Willey opening? I don't fancy him doing it in this format. That should guarantee him a score!

April 27th, 2017, 4:22 pm #6

from the OS

Bairtsow to open?

Lyth
Bairstow
Root
Ballance
Handscomb
Leaning
Bresnan
Willey
Plunkett
Rashid
Fisher

If Willey opens then Bairstow or Handscomb would be at 6. Too low for Bairstow and Handscomb wouldn't offer much value there. Would rather play Waite ahead of Handscomb if Willey opens.

Christopher Roger Woakes.

April 27th, 2017, 4:22 pm #7

from the OS

Bairstow alongside Lyth, somebody suggested this to me a couple of days of go and I laughed it off!

Seems harsh on Lees, but his 50 over form last year was poor and therefore Leaning gets the nod, and probably needs stroking at the moment, ahead of him with JB taking on a new role. Lees will bounce back I expect.

April 27th, 2017, 4:40 pm #8

from the OS

Would Root open?

Lyth
Root
Handscomb
Ballance
Bairstow
Leaning/Waite
Bresnan
Rashid
Plunkett
Willey
Fisher/Waite

A lot of batting in the tail, can see Plunkett and Willey being promoted for a slog if theres a few overs left. Maybe Leaning misses out if they think they have enough batting in Bresnan, Rashid & Waite.

April 27th, 2017, 7:02 pm #9

from the OS

Surprised to see Lees out of the squad, he'd be ahead of Leaning for me. Also interesting that Waite appears to have moved ahead of Rhodes.

Do we know how fit Bres is to bowl? - following the fall he sustained when taking his excellent C&B late in the home CC game v Hampshire he's hardly bowled (Warks) and had usually poor figures at Southampton.

From the squad and assuming Bres is 100% with his bowling, I'd leave out Waite and Fisher although that means at least 20 overs of spin. If the wicket is 'green' Fisher for Rafiq.

April 27th, 2017, 7:08 pm #10

from the OS

Wonder if Billy Root opposing his big brother?

I'd open with Willey and give it a go from the off.

Lees will have been rested by the ECB.....