Richard Hutton..?

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Richard Hutton..?

March 16th, 2017, 8:35 am #1

Richard to be new President.
I know he played for us for a few years but has he done anything else for the club since he retired...?
He seems like quite a strange - and potentially divisive - choice to me -but i'm more than happy to be persuaded if he's done more things than i realise!

March 16th, 2017, 9:26 am #2

I don't think he has had any connection with the club since he retired and I don't think he even lives in Yorkshire. Smacks of our chairman using the accountants old boys network.

March 16th, 2017, 9:53 am #3

I think that's a shame. Players have been able to relate to and in different ways respect the last few presidents. How often has Hutton watched them in the last 5-10 years, even when they have been playing in the south? I can't think of a more detached candidate, never mind that he has been the most reluctant of all to bury the 70s-80s hatchets. It seems to me a case of last man standing from the sixties. Time to move on in my view.

However, I gather that the club's communication - on its way - says he lives in Wetherby. Really? Second home?

March 16th, 2017, 10:07 am #4

A poor choice for me, can not think of a more "detached" ex-player. Surely there are several better candidates around. I assume a vote will be conducted on whether to accept.

I would be surprised if the nomination is accepted.

March 16th, 2017, 11:33 am #5

It seems a poor choice to me, though he might turn out excellent; you never know. Better than Donald Trump, I suppose, though I suspect he may not have been available. Perhaps others, whom we might have chosen, may have declined the honour. It's not a role that would suit everyone.
Bowlers win matches

March 16th, 2017, 11:41 am #6

Rather a slap in the face for Bryan Stott and Geoff Cope, among others. Both have continued to show dedication to the club right to the present day.

March 16th, 2017, 11:42 am #7

It seems a poor choice to me, though he might turn out excellent; you never know. Better than Donald Trump, I suppose, though I suspect he may not have been available. Perhaps others, whom we might have chosen, may have declined the honour. It's not a role that would suit everyone.
I am too young to remember the 1960's team but have read a bit about the fall outs in the 70's and 1980's.
I hope Richard Hutton being president is accepted, not for any particular liking for him but its just not worth fighting those old battles anymore.

March 16th, 2017, 12:19 pm #8

Agree, the old battles should be buried. However,if he is elected, it is RH who needs to do the accepting. He will have to be capable of shaking hands with, and chatting to, anyone, and that includes the obvious GB. The latter showed himself capable of following these principles during his presidency. Now it's Hutton's turn. We'll see.

March 16th, 2017, 12:24 pm #9

I wonder if Hutton and Boycott speak to each other......?
Apart from his surname, i cant see any reason why he is being suggested.

March 16th, 2017, 1:19 pm #10

I think that's a shame. Players have been able to relate to and in different ways respect the last few presidents. How often has Hutton watched them in the last 5-10 years, even when they have been playing in the south? I can't think of a more detached candidate, never mind that he has been the most reluctant of all to bury the 70s-80s hatchets. It seems to me a case of last man standing from the sixties. Time to move on in my view.

However, I gather that the club's communication - on its way - says he lives in Wetherby. Really? Second home?
I was recently standing in line behind Richard Hutton in Wetherby Post Office. Whether he has a second home in the area I couldn't say.

Handy for cosy, late-night chats with GB, who lives in Boston Spa a couple of miles up the road! Perhaps another local, Mr Moxon, could mediate.