Reasons to be cheerful

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

September 15th, 2017, 9:39 am #11

Amidst all the entirely justified gloom I was thinking about the moments of this championship season that have given me pleasure. Two come to mind - Ben Coad's bowling on the first evening at Headingley against Hampshire back in April, and Gary Ballance finding his form in the same month.

What do others look back on with positive memories from 2017?

Jeremys is a small restaurant sandwiched in between North Bay fisheries and the bookmakers. It is quite expensive but high quality food, from what I recall quite limited opening hours perhaps 4 evenings per week.

September 15th, 2017, 12:06 pm #12

Amidst all the entirely justified gloom I was thinking about the moments of this championship season that have given me pleasure. Two come to mind - Ben Coad's bowling on the first evening at Headingley against Hampshire back in April, and Gary Ballance finding his form in the same month.

Shai Hope at Headingley.

Adam Lyth's huge T20 innings, Jack Leaning's catch - also T20. Overall T20 at Headingley has given me most pleasure.

September 15th, 2017, 6:52 pm #13

Yep, allus lookin fo positives, even in a season of poor onfield performances and crap fixture organisation. The samosas at the shop across from the gates are ruddy ace, but it seems others are twiggin on to em. It's part of the Headingley ritual that I buy 2 of em at 10.43 for each of the small minded buggers I sit with. On one occasion I even got a smile from the lady behind the counter.

PS. Almost on a par for Reasons To Be Cheerful was the discovery of the Arcadia pub in Headingley with with its excellent cask ales.

Throw in Fat Lads Mild int North Riding and life could be worse.

September 15th, 2017, 9:51 pm #14

Most North Riding beers are good.

I buy my ice creams (ok ice lollies) from the samosas shop. Much cheaper than the van in the ground.

The ice creams at Scarbados aren't cheap but they are very yummy.

Oddly my highlight of the season is the T20 Vs Worester. Well we won yet I saw my 1st ever over containing 6 6s.

September 15th, 2017, 10:51 pm #15

A big reason to be cheerful is of course the breakthrough of Coad and to a lesser extent Waite and Brooks this year. I think the futures bright for Yorkshire if we can build it around Coad, Waite, Fisher, Carver, Brook, TKC, Leaning and maybe a couple of others.

September 16th, 2017, 7:13 am #16

Jack Brooks 100!

September 16th, 2017, 8:28 am #17

As others have said I'll never forget that last day at Taunton. The Somerset fans were unsurprisingly confident of a victory but when Whitby Adam got that last wicket it was us Yorkies dancing a jig.The whole 4 days at Taunton were brilliant with fantastic welcoming hosts.
And Glenn McGrath dismissed for 2 just 98 runs short of his century.
Richie Benaud

September 16th, 2017, 10:30 am #18

Emergence of Coad, some excellent T20 batting, good results against Lancs. Not much else.

September 22nd, 2017, 1:46 pm #19

Can I change my selection please?

September 22nd, 2017, 2:27 pm #20

I would say today is a reason to be relieved rather than cheerful. We need to take this as a wake-up call rather than thinking that everything is rosy because we scraped home against the worst side in the division thanks to runs from numbers 8 and 9.