Rashid

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

September 9th, 2017, 9:14 am #21

Anybody else getting sick of him now? Seems atm his head is not in the CC game. Is he even bothered about playing for Yorkshire or just biding his time until the one day internationals/big bash returns? Let's not forget him pulling out of playing at the end of last season which Gale was clearly unhappy with and was never cleared up. Rafiq and Carver want to play for us, but are they good enough?
Rashid has always been an enigma. He's a likely to to bowl a rubbish spell as he is a brilliant one, but has the happy knack of taking wickets with an awful ball. Against Worcester in the T20 at Headingley Adil bowled well but took a wicket with a delivery that should have been hit out of the ground.

His batting is similar, although Rash is a poor starter. Once he gets in Adil can score well. I've always thought the best way to get him cheap is to stop him scoring early in his innings as he'll chase a wide one & get caught out.

So please stop this Rashid should be sacked rubbish. Yes we'll all moan a bit but we should give a Yorkshire legend his due support

September 9th, 2017, 10:33 am #22

Anybody else getting sick of him now? Seems atm his head is not in the CC game. Is he even bothered about playing for Yorkshire or just biding his time until the one day internationals/big bash returns? Let's not forget him pulling out of playing at the end of last season which Gale was clearly unhappy with and was never cleared up. Rafiq and Carver want to play for us, but are they good enough?
Are Rafiq and Carver good enough to play for Yorkshire - in short the answer has to be no. Rafiq has so far bowled 78 overs this year, in 4 games, and taken 5 wickets at 54. Whenever I've watched him bowl in the CC he just never looks like taking a wicket. The last appearance of Carver for the first team included his infamous over which went for 37, put on at the wrong end by Bresnan, against a renowned hitter, goodness knows where his confidence is?

September 9th, 2017, 11:16 am #23

To be a Yorkshire legend you need to be dedicated to Yorkshire. And that means you do not "withdraw" from a championship deciding game at Lords.

September 9th, 2017, 11:21 am #24

Rafiq is an excellent one day bowler but has zero penetration in 4 day games. Rashid is the one player in the Yorkshire team for whom we have no replacement in the squad

September 9th, 2017, 11:23 am #25

When I was writing yesterday, I thought I'd had the information about Rashid from this forum. Thinking back, I now recall that it came at a second team game and, since I assume it was pretty much "off the record", I won't name the people involved. The ultimate source was a member of Yorkshire's coaching staff. My proximate source was a member of a current player's family. If you attend games, particularly at the lower levels, and chat to people (it's difficult not to when there are only eight of you in a field!), and also have connections to ex-players and present officials, you often have information that can't be shared on a site like this. Of course, you hear a lot of rumours as well, but it's rarely difficult to assess your sources.
There was a question the other day about Warwickshire's potential interest in a certain player. I could tell you that they did show interest in him a few years ago, but I wouldn't want to tell the whole world why they hesitated over signing him, even though the information came from a former chairman of Warwickshire's cricket committee (who presumably says things to his opponents at bridge that he wouldn't want divulged more widely). Also we've gone into the Malvern College question quite a bit in recent months. At the Worcs v Yorks II match at RGS Worcester, I was able to have a long conversation with the father of a player who's at Malvern on the same cricket programme TKC and Ben Twohig enjoyed. If we chat about that again on the forum, I hope I'll be well informed, but I wouldn't want to betray any important confidences. And I'll try never to say, "If only you knew what I know..."

September 9th, 2017, 11:31 am #26

How can we have no replacement for a player with zero penetration ? Perhaps with a player with 100 % dedication ?

September 9th, 2017, 11:41 am #27

So dewsburian after reading all that. You potentially know something but don't want to spill?.
Poor man’s Tim Bresnan

September 9th, 2017, 11:45 am #28

UFOs do exist perhaps ? Because i too understood nothing .

September 9th, 2017, 12:36 pm #29

Dewsburian is absolutely right when he states that one often hears things said at matches at the lower levels. The players are rarely the purveyors of information, (quite rightly), but their family members are sometimes. Although they may not ask specifically for discretion, it is implicit that they expect it. It would be unethical, not to mention a breach of faith, then to disclose information publicly.

September 9th, 2017, 12:40 pm #30

Yes & a lot of what is heard is rubbish but a few on here believe what suits their own agenda's