Press Conference on Monday: Gale confirmed as coach

14 Nov 2016, 13:56 #81

Really do not believe this is best appointment we could have made, but let us see whether it will deliver the necessary results. The appointment of new captain, overseas player(s) (for the season) and wicket-keeper are priorities. Will we lose top players?
I'm concerned but not sure if it's the right decision.

My concern isn't because it's Gale but because he's someone who's grown up in the club. In recent years we've done better when someone who learned his cricket elsewhere becomes coach. Gillespie was good because he knew the club but wasn't of the club. Farbrace would have been an excellent choice for the same reason. Sadly there isn't another obvious choice, so I can't give an alternative.

14 Nov 2016, 14:00 #82

Really do not believe this is best appointment we could have made, but let us see whether it will deliver the necessary results. The appointment of new captain, overseas player(s) (for the season) and wicket-keeper are priorities. Will we lose top players?
It is a bit like the wicket keeper question. The alternatives are thin on the ground. Farbrace and Flower both said no. Same with Dawson by all accounts. Hodge looked to be lukewarm to me in what he said publicly. Are Silverwood, White et al superior to Gale?

I do think we need to try to attract a good deputy from outside if possible - maybe one of the 16 applicants for the head coach job would fulfil this requirement?

14 Nov 2016, 14:04 #83

Does Gale have all the appropriate coaching qualifications?
I know he runs Procoach but that doesn't mean he himself has passed Level 4.
I cannot see the sense of this appointment myself since we then need to replace him as captain & as a batsman - whatever his failings this year.
At least we have lost a "walking wicket" for next season.

14 Nov 2016, 14:17 #84

Those with long memories may recall the early 1970's when Don Revie left Leeds United to manage England. Almost his last act was to recommend Jonny Giles, still a player, as his successor. He knew that Giles would retain the family feeling he had engendered. The board rejected his recommendation and went for a big name from outside the club. The subsequent total failure of Brian Clough is well documented.
Clearly Yorkshire have been keen to maintain the special relationship which exists among the players.They judge that Gale is the right man to foster this.
It is significant that a couple of weeks ago in an interview for the Yorkshire Post, Alex Lees made a public plea for Gale to remain as captain. While the interview reflected his personal views, I am sure that as one-day captain he would be well aware of the feeling of his playing colleagues.
One of our posters challenges Gale's 'acumen' but provides no evidence that he lacks it. How about 40 wins and 12 defeats under his leadership ? How about consecutive championship wins ? How about all the records broken by the side in 2015 ? How about maintaining a championship challenge right to the last day of the 2016 season, often without several key international players ? I reckon Gale showed plenty of acumen in juggling an ever changing eleven.
I wish Andrew Gale good luck in his new role and hope this forum attracts far more supporters than detractors.

14 Nov 2016, 14:36 #85

My attitude to Gale's appointment is influenced by the performance of Club Management over recent years.
Since the Adams debacle, it would appear that there has hardly been a mistake. We have enjoyed five years of wonderful cricket from a team whose work ethic is outstanding.
I applaud and support Gale's appointment. As a Captain he has been outstanding and has earned the respect of a superb group of players. He has always been precocious and I am confident he will grow into the role to which he has been appointed. The less background flak the better.
There are a number of issues for him and the rest of the management team to address over the next few months. They are better at this and far more informed than any of us, so perhaps it's best for us to remain supportive until such time as anything clearly goes wrong.

14 Nov 2016, 14:43 #86

Doesn't really matter who is coach if we have the same batting line up as last year. Relying on Leaning, Rhodes and Ballance and a carousel of overseas players for the upper middle order slots (with no pressure from up and coming second teamers) would be a formula for relegation in 2017 - and unforgivable after a season and a half of poor performances in those batting slots in second half 2015 and 2016. Hopefully, Gale's appointment will free up some money for signings.

14 Nov 2016, 14:46 #87

Not a total surprise. I had an inkling he would take the job, as he had hinted at that outcome a number of times.

Can not agree that it is a "cheap" option, as some have suggested, as we have to find another player and salary to replace him and he will, probably have had a pay rise.

Lets wait and see and judge him after a couple of seasons and not now before he has even started in his role.

It might work, and it may not!!

Leaves a big hole in our middle order to fill.

After the openers -- Pujara at 3? Leaning at 4? Ballance at 5, ?? at 6, followed by Bresnan, Hodd and three seamers.

14 Nov 2016, 14:52 #88

"?? at 6" means spinner at 6 ?

14 Nov 2016, 15:10 #89

I'd love to see Pujara return but can't see it happening.

14 Nov 2016, 15:20 #90

Keaton Jennings could end up being a good signing if possible, i agree that the signings we make will be more crucial to our success than coaching youngsters. Jack Brooks is at the heart of our success, without him i personally think we'll struggle to win the Championship. As for T20 we need 2 overseas instead of 1, we'll have to see if this materialises.