Press Conference on Monday: Gale confirmed as coach

14 Nov 2016, 10:37 #51

One thing to say about Gale is that you cannot knock his passion for Yorkshire.
I think it is very hard to go from being one of the boys, albeit the one in charge, to becoming their overall boss.

14 Nov 2016, 10:40 #52

East
The alternatives at the start of last season I suggested Duckett but when it became clear he was ECB owned, I said Davies.

I appreciate the view of "We have Bresnan and Rashid" but why sacrifice batting quality.

I always baseline against other Counties. Hodd just to stress is far from a bad batsman...Just not top 6 and not proved much in limited overs.

How many keepers in the County game would be above Hodd?

I also acknowledge the point about JB but he hardly plays for us so I don't see why that would be a big factor.
A few responses to a variety of comments.

Why bother suggesting an alternative wk to back up your argument against Hodd? Because it might make the point seem more reasonable. No-one has suggested Hodd is perfect, but aside from unavailable/fantasy suggestions (M S Dhoni for white ball cricket?) no-one has suggested an alternative.

And against change? No, because you can never stand still. If you don't progress, you go backwards. However if being against change means happy to accept 2nd, 1st, 1st, 3rd over the next four seasons, then yes I suppose so.

And finally, if Gale has been appointed, is the most likely explanation: a)to save money, b)as a way of getting rid of him as captain/batsman, c) because they think he'll do a good job? The third may be an error of judgement, we'll have to wait and see, but it's surely the explanation. He won't be short of commitment.

14 Nov 2016, 10:55 #53

Anyone know what time today the public announcement is?

14 Nov 2016, 11:00 #54

A few responses to a variety of comments.

Why bother suggesting an alternative wk to back up your argument against Hodd? Because it might make the point seem more reasonable. No-one has suggested Hodd is perfect, but aside from unavailable/fantasy suggestions (M S Dhoni for white ball cricket?) no-one has suggested an alternative.

And against change? No, because you can never stand still. If you don't progress, you go backwards. However if being against change means happy to accept 2nd, 1st, 1st, 3rd over the next four seasons, then yes I suppose so.

And finally, if Gale has been appointed, is the most likely explanation: a)to save money, b)as a way of getting rid of him as captain/batsman, c) because they think he'll do a good job? The third may be an error of judgement, we'll have to wait and see, but it's surely the explanation. He won't be short of commitment.
I am surprised at the negative reaction to Gale. If you see him at the club he is a huge figurehead. He is liked and respected as a leader of men and clearly understands Yorkshire, tactics and the County scene based on his recent years of success.

In a period of change, he will remain a constant. Nothing much needs to change, surely?

He clearly gets the best out of people. The only questions for me are:

1: Can he attract new players with the same ability that Dizzy did?
2: Does he or do we have a solid mechanism in place for player development?

We saw a huge improvement in the youngsters when Farbrace was with us. That has reduced since he left. Can Gale bring on the youngsters?

I would probably recommend an assistant with proven development principles. Someone who can provide him with hints and suggestions using their own experience.

I know Mark Robinson looks after the Woman, but someone like him who possesses a lot of experience, especially with bowlers and has the added benefit of being a Yorkshireman.

14 Nov 2016, 11:16 #55

Anyone know what time today the public announcement is?
Thank you, Idle Man, for bringing some sanity to this debate.

YCCC is NOT a club in crisis. We were in crisis when Chris Adams did his U-turn (and thank the fates that he did!), McGrath was looking to walk out so we hired Rudolph and brought Gough in as captain. That was a crisis we solved, though it made for uncomfortable watching, and then a 'golden generation' of home-grown players appeared and Gillespie's appointment was the final brick in the wall.

The last four years have been pure joy. Surely the management have done enough to earn our trust and support, whatever decision they announce later today.
Bowlers win matches

14 Nov 2016, 11:35 #56

I am surprised at the negative reaction to Gale. If you see him at the club he is a huge figurehead. He is liked and respected as a leader of men and clearly understands Yorkshire, tactics and the County scene based on his recent years of success.

In a period of change, he will remain a constant. Nothing much needs to change, surely?

He clearly gets the best out of people. The only questions for me are:

1: Can he attract new players with the same ability that Dizzy did?
2: Does he or do we have a solid mechanism in place for player development?

We saw a huge improvement in the youngsters when Farbrace was with us. That has reduced since he left. Can Gale bring on the youngsters?

I would probably recommend an assistant with proven development principles. Someone who can provide him with hints and suggestions using their own experience.

I know Mark Robinson looks after the Woman, but someone like him who possesses a lot of experience, especially with bowlers and has the added benefit of being a Yorkshireman.
It was previously Gale should carry on batting and being captain to Gale will be a great coach. I'm clearly not sentimental towards him like some on here which is why i wanted Brad Hodge.

14 Nov 2016, 11:52 #57

Yes Hodd is perfectly fine at 8 if you only like Red ball Cricket.
My darling Maxi

14 Nov 2016, 11:52 #58

It was previously Gale should carry on batting and being captain to Gale will be a great coach. I'm clearly not sentimental towards him like some on here which is why i wanted Brad Hodge.
That (Jacobus) doesn't reflect people's attitudes to Gale either as captain or coach.The argument for Gale carrying on as captain was that there was no obvious alternative, Ballance then being back in the test side, and that there was a case for continuity given that Dizzy was leaving. Far from being sentimental, those who argued that case were being completely practical and pragmatic. No-one has said that he will be a 'great coach', only that he has some of the obvious required qualities. My own feeling, and I like Andrew Gale very much, is that I think it's a bit too much of a gamble. Those posters engaged in discussion seem to me to have a variety of differing sensible positions, which is what I come on the forum for.

14 Nov 2016, 11:55 #59

And by the way Dwight, regarding Hodd, I did accept the issue over white ball cricket. But we still have no affordable, available, worth having name put forward.

14 Nov 2016, 11:59 #60

I have mentioned the world class Sarfraz Ahmed on numerous occasions.
My darling Maxi