Leaning
Ballance
Bresnan
Rashid/Rafiq
Hodd
Patterson
Sidebottom/Willey
Brooks/Plunkett

Assuming no Root & Bairstow for the vast majority. Rashid (assuming bridges mended)/Willey/Plunkett also will miss a fair amount with ODI's (Rashid for tests?).
That looks a strong and potentially very settled batting line up (I've still got a lot of faith in Leaning) And seam bowling looking strong, hopefully with Fisher to break through into CC at some point.
How many people have won the championship as Captain and coach at the same county?

November 13th, 2016, 11:13 pm #42

The above batting line up is one international call up or injury away from disrupting the team. Only back up with 1st team experience is Rhodes and he doesn't seem to have a fixed playing role.

That batting line up doesn't fill me with confidence for the T20 Blast, at least one aggressive batsman short. I hope Moxon has identified some county batsmen as well, otherwise next year has potential to become a very disappointing season.
No Pyrah, no party

November 14th, 2016, 7:18 am #43

I cannot see the logic of why anyone would happy with Hodd as the first choice keeper.

These days in Year or CC, your 7, 8 batsman are hugely key.

Lyth
Less
Overseas
Balance C
Leaning
WK
Bresnan
Rashid
Patterson
Brooks
Sidebottom

Key positions remain what were last year's problems. A number 3 and a keeper.

November 14th, 2016, 9:08 am #44

Hodd made some contributions with the bat towards the end of the season which were 'hugely key'. We've been discussing this off and on for some time without anything very clear or very new emerging. It seems to me, to bring together various earlier posts:

Hodd does enough with the bat to be ok at 7, and an asset at 8, which is where he would appear in a team with Bresnan and Rashid (ok, this may be out of date, personally I hope not). He is a sound keeper, though I'm not sure he's as good as he was when he first came.

The situation is complicated by the JB situation. Unless England start to play him purely as a batsman, he will be expected to keep when he comes back to us. This prevents us from being an attractive prospect for a quality keeper-batsman, home or overseas. Davies would have been well worth having, but an adviser would have told him to look elsewhere.

The strongest argument against Hodd is that we could really do with a 'keeper-slogger' for the white ball stuff, yet the JB problem would prevent us signing anyone really good. For instance if Billings or Duckett wanted a move, and all the evidence says they don't, we would not be a good option from their point of view.

In these circumstances, the more rational posts I've read tend to accept that we're unlikely to improve on Hodd, who in addition is popular, respected, and likes us.

November 14th, 2016, 9:17 am #45

Daily Mail speculating Ballance as club captain.
Martin (Login Martinh00)
Posted Nov 13, 2016 9:42 PM

Now that truly is an odious newspaper.

November 14th, 2016, 9:19 am #46

Martin (Login Martinh00)
Posted Nov 13, 2016 9:42 PM

Now that truly is an odious newspaper.

Agreed! Don't worry - I don't buy it - just saw a link to the story on the internet!

November 14th, 2016, 9:25 am #47

Hodd made some contributions with the bat towards the end of the season which were 'hugely key'. We've been discussing this off and on for some time without anything very clear or very new emerging. It seems to me, to bring together various earlier posts:

Hodd does enough with the bat to be ok at 7, and an asset at 8, which is where he would appear in a team with Bresnan and Rashid (ok, this may be out of date, personally I hope not). He is a sound keeper, though I'm not sure he's as good as he was when he first came.

The situation is complicated by the JB situation. Unless England start to play him purely as a batsman, he will be expected to keep when he comes back to us. This prevents us from being an attractive prospect for a quality keeper-batsman, home or overseas. Davies would have been well worth having, but an adviser would have told him to look elsewhere.

The strongest argument against Hodd is that we could really do with a 'keeper-slogger' for the white ball stuff, yet the JB problem would prevent us signing anyone really good. For instance if Billings or Duckett wanted a move, and all the evidence says they don't, we would not be a good option from their point of view.

In these circumstances, the more rational posts I've read tend to accept that we're unlikely to improve on Hodd, who in addition is popular, respected, and likes us.
Idle man puts it better than I could - exactly my thoughts on the keeper situation. We have been spoiled by having a world class batsman who keeps. The prospects of finding anyone even close to his abilities who has no international ambitions (and hence could focus solely on the club) is remote. We are better off than some teams in that we have Bresnan/Rashid who would both play as batsmen in may county sides, so arguable can accommodate a keeper batting number 8. In an ideal world we would bat Hodd higher as I think he responds to more responsibility - but we are not going to bat Rashid or Bresnan at 8 are we?

November 14th, 2016, 9:49 am #48

Agree with many comments here particularly about Hodd.

All these people saying he isn't the answer as our keeper now JB is an England regular, can you please name a suitable, realistic, available alternative?

As for Gale as coach and people already writing it off as an underwhelming or cheap move. He was the captain who, with Gillespie, brought us back to back county championships. He played a big part in this. It's almost as if his contribution to this is totally forgotten about.

November 14th, 2016, 10:02 am #49

Why should anyone bother naming someone when you clearly don't want change. Gale is the cheap option as coach just like when we opened the batting with Joe Sayers in 2011.

November 14th, 2016, 10:27 am #50

East
The alternatives at the start of last season I suggested Duckett but when it became clear he was ECB owned, I said Davies.

I appreciate the view of "We have Bresnan and Rashid" but why sacrifice batting quality.

I always baseline against other Counties. Hodd just to stress is far from a bad batsman...Just not top 6 and not proved much in limited overs.

How many keepers in the County game would be above Hodd?

I also acknowledge the point about JB but he hardly plays for us so I don't see why that would be a big factor.