One Ryan Sidebottom....

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

One Ryan Sidebottom....

August 7th, 2017, 8:20 am #1

Some mention of his workload yesterday as he was listed as playing for Warwickshire too.

I wondered if Giles had pulled off his latest coup by signing Ryan mid game to add to his collection of other signings such as Sibley and Hose.

But apparently the guy playing for Warwickshire is another Ryan Sidebottom from Australia and no doubt playing as a kolpak...

August 7th, 2017, 8:35 am #2

Why would an Aussie be playing as a Kolpak?

August 7th, 2017, 8:57 am #3

Some mention of his workload yesterday as he was listed as playing for Warwickshire too.

I wondered if Giles had pulled off his latest coup by signing Ryan mid game to add to his collection of other signings such as Sibley and Hose.

But apparently the guy playing for Warwickshire is another Ryan Sidebottom from Australia and no doubt playing as a kolpak...
Well he's not the registered overseas player as Patel playing

August 8th, 2017, 4:01 pm #4

Think I picked up on commentary that the Australian Ryan Sidebottom has an English mother so is allowed a British passport.

He was bowling to another Aussie, Nathan Sowter, who is also not an overseas player because he has an English mother too.

August 8th, 2017, 5:13 pm #5

Too many people seem to have absolutely no idea what constitutes a Kolpak player.

August 8th, 2017, 5:18 pm #6

There's an awful lot of English mothers going overseas to give birth.....

Keaton Jennings falls into the same category too

August 8th, 2017, 5:31 pm #7

To clarify (from Wikapeadia)

The Kolpak ruling is a European Court of Justice ruling handed down on 8 May 2003 in favour of Maroš Kolpak, a Slovak handball player. It declared that citizens of countries which have signed European Union Association Agreements have the same right to freedom of work and movement within the EU as EU citizens. Thus any restrictions placed on their right to work (such as quotas setting maximum numbers of such foreign players in sports teams) are deemed illegal under EU law. The legal actions in Germany set a precedent for professional sports in Europe, which have had a wide-ranging effect, especially in regard to English county cricket and European professional rugby.

A Kolpak player, or Kolpak, is a term used in the United Kingdom for players in the domestic leagues in cricket and both rugby codes from overseas, subject to the Kolpak ruling.

Hopefully, once Brexit has been completed, this ruling will cease.

August 8th, 2017, 5:36 pm #8

The country will be down the toilet but at least there'll be no more Kolpaks 😉

August 8th, 2017, 6:01 pm #9

You can call them whatever you like but ultimately they are all the same category if they cannot play for England and are denying young county players a chance to develop in the first team.

Harmer is a Kolpak and playing for Essex when he should probably be in the Saffer test squad challenging Maharaj. In fact you could probably get a better team out of South Africans playing county cricket than the test team just beaten 3-1.

Harmer, Rudolph, Ingram, Abbott, Roussow, McLaren, Kleinveld, Cook, supplemented by the absent de Villiers and Steyn and you can see why the Saffers came off second best.

My throwaway comment about him being a Kolpak was laziness on my part at yet another player plying his trade overseas filling a slot that in Warwickshires case could have been filled by Hannon-Dalby for example.

August 8th, 2017, 6:58 pm #10

It's a very strange logic where you're bemoaning someone with a British passport working in Britain.
It's a much smaller world these days with people finding it easier to travel, settle in different countries etc. These type of situations will become more and more regular I feel.