One-Day Cup | Yorkshire vs Lancashire at Leeds (Match Thread)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

May 1st, 2017, 3:57 pm #21

May 1, 2017 - North Group at Headingley, Leeds

YORKSHIRE from: Gary Ballance (Capt), Jonny Bairstow (Wkt), Tim Bresnan, Matthew Fisher, Peter Handscomb, Jack Leaning, Alex Lees, Adam Lyth, Steven Patterson, Liam Plunkett, Azeem Rafiq, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Matthew Waite, David Willey.

Scorecard
Headingley weather
<a href="">Live Commentary (TBA)</a>
Great spell that.
Christopher Roger Woakes.

May 1st, 2017, 4:28 pm #22

YORKSHIRE from: Gary Ballance (Capt), Jonny Bairstow (Wkt), Tim Bresnan, Matthew Fisher, Peter Handscomb, Jack Leaning, Alex Lees, Adam Lyth, Steven Patterson, Liam Plunkett, Azeem Rafiq, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Matthew Waite, David Willey.

Scorecard
Headingley weather
Goodness, Willey handing over the incentive here, could use some more net practice.

May 1st, 2017, 4:38 pm #23

Scorecard
Headingley weather
I think we're probably ok. Well done everyone.Anyone there tell us what sort of crowd they got in?

May 1st, 2017, 4:40 pm #24

Scorecard
Headingley weather
Just under 5000 according to the radio.

May 1st, 2017, 6:32 pm #25

Scorecard
Headingley weather
Pretty full house (except for wildebeest galloping across the blue wastelands to the west) - maybe a few spaces in the less popular bits of the football end.

Very enjoyable day out - even the weather contributed: always best to start play dank & gloomy then end up with a victorious tan...

Strange moderating, upthread - I thought Dewsburian's subtle, ambiguous and amusing comment was potentially far more offensive than anything preceding it! Strange times.

Humour is often a matter of interpretation, especially the online variety or when irony is involveed. A simple "LOL" is often a very useful advisory.

Alex

May 1st, 2017, 6:46 pm #26

Scorecard
Headingley weather
yes thoroughly enjoyable day of high quality cricket

I agree it was pretty full apart from the out of use west stand and in view of the poor forecast and cloudy and chilly start a really good crowd

so many quality performers on display and plenty of kids to see it

wonderful to see Rashid bowl with such skill, guile and control - he won us the match

bresnans opening spell was also terrific as was rsfiq

batting wise it seemed the usual story of players getting out and in but what a partnership between balance and handscombe - both have looked superb each time I have seen them

I thought under 300 was par at best but our it was fine bowling

I would fsncy us to win the tournament if we could get that team out throughout but that is of course a pipe dream

May 1st, 2017, 6:49 pm #27

Scorecard
Headingley weather
Today goes to prove that Yorkshire people are never happy, but that Lancashire are weaker than we think,

The day started dark but thankfully dry. It was a surprise that thwe West Stand wasn't open.

It was very overcast so it waqs no surprised when Lancs put us in. The floodlights were on not long after the start. The weather did improve as the day went on.

As has already been said Yorkshire's top order progressed well. Lyth is still not back in the groove. Ballance & Handscomb batted well together. Then Ballance hit a 6 off the last ball of an over. This goaded Handscomb into 'going for it' which looked good until he put a ball down a fielder's throat. No worries we were are 230-3 with loads of overs left. Bresnan was out of touch (not a get at, it happens to most batsmen), but being a sensible lad tried his best to give Ballance the strike. Even this was beyond Tim at times so eventually he tried to hit one & was caught. Again no worries as we'd more all rounders who can bat ... except they didn't. The next 4 batrmen were like headless chickens getting themselves out, the run out of Plunkett was a yes, no, yes, no commedy of errors as Rafiq at the other end never moved ... it should have been a single. 262-4 became 282-9. Rafiq & Fisher saved up being bowled out. 292 was well below the total we should have had.

Thankfully the Lancs batting isn't as powerful as most Yorkies feared ... & Rashid bowled beautifully ... & yes I praise Rashid over Rafiq. Azeem bowled well & rightfully got wickets but it was Rash who started the rot by tying them down & could have had more. After Adil completed his spell we were surprised when Ballance brought Willey back, David's first over of the day had been a maiden, but after that he was expensive. Many would have prefered trying Root or Lyth. Gary was probably proved right when Vilas & then Bailey were caught 'in the deep'.

One irritant was the umpires refering every run out decision to the video umpire. At least 2 Lancs batsmen were standing next to the stumps by the time thehy were broken. One was so in that Bairstow didn't even appeal, yet it was still refereed.

There were also a few missed catches. Bairstow missed two, not easy but very catchable & Lyth got his hands to one by his chest when Hameed was on 0, the ball was moving & went for 4. Bresnan made some brilliant saves diving to stop a number of hits that would have gone for 4.

So not a perfect day, but we were strong enough to have and easy win.

May 1st, 2017, 7:00 pm #28

Scorecard
Headingley weather
I seem to have been mentioned, above. For the record, when Yorkshire play Lancashire (or anyone else for that matter) I want YORKSHIRE to win, 100%, without exception.

This does not mean that I am blind to the abilities of players from Lancashire, or any other of the counties. I see myself as a supporter and friend of ALL 18 COUNTIES, especially those who develop their own players, as we do, as Lancashire do (nowadays but not always), and as some don't, particularly. In their case, I hope their attitudes will change, especially those big teams with Test grounds who allow others to do their job for them.

If the earlier comment was intended as a 'wind-up', I didn't read it that way. It was a fair question, and I have given a fair answer.

I thoroughly enjoyed today's game. There was a decent crowd - I guessed at 5 to 6,000 - a friendly atmosphere between opposing fans, a lot of good cricket, mostly played by Yorkshire, but not exclusively so; and the right team won.

Disappointment that our top three all made starts, but failed to go on after seeing off Anderson's opening spell. Super partnership between Ballance and Handscomb, then a disappointment that the innings fell perhaps 30 runs short, but entirely due to the excellence of Parry.

I was delighted at Bresnan's opening spell, and he fielded like a 20-year-old throughout. Fisher bowled beautifully and Plunkett was fast and accurate. The pick was undoubtedly Rashid - I counted two bad balls in 10 overs - and he constantly left the Lanky batsmen bewildered, none more so than the otherwise brilliant Livingstone. Rafiq bowled with guile at the death and deserved his wickets.

Although we dropped three catches, our fielding was breathtaking at times; even better than Lancashire's had been.

I'm sure those who watched on Sky will have a different perspective, but that's how it all looked to me. To sum up in one word:

PROFESSIONAL.
Bowlers win matches

May 1st, 2017, 7:04 pm #29

Scorecard
Headingley weather
The odd thing, from my point of view (via TV), was that the Sky commentators assumed - presumably because Bairstow and Lyth made Anderson look fairly innocuous - that the pitch was excellent, yet several players, including Root, were undone by slightly unpredictable bounce. I thought Davies and Livingstone batted as well as they were allowed to, but this is a very good Yorkshire side with five of the current England squad in it and a top Australian, so it was no great surprise that Lancs. were outclassed, as Notts. had been at Trent Bridge. As I said about Adil at Edgbaston, he looks supremely confident and totally in control of his game these days, with Plunkett not far behind on that score.
I could make another remark that would be subtle, ambiguous and (above all) amusing, but I'll restrain myself as it might be thought offensive.

May 1st, 2017, 7:10 pm #30

Scorecard
Headingley weather
Dewsburian: did any of the Sky people comment that Rashid is hitting the crease more aggressively? More akin to Yassir Shah, for example? That he's driving into his action with his legs, more than previously?

Or perhaps it's all in my imagination. But I think that's the best I've seen him bowl, perhaps ever.

Bowlers win matches