One-Day Cup | Yorkshire vs Durham at Leeds (Match Thread)

One-Day Cup | Yorkshire vs Durham at Leeds (Match Thread)

03 May 2017, 02:38 #1

Royal London One-Day Cup, North Group: Yorkshire v Durham at Leeds, May 3, 2017

YORKSHIRE from: Gary Ballance (Capt), Jonny Bairstow (Wkt), Tim Bresnan, Karl Carver, Ben Coad, Matthew Fisher, Peter Handscomb, Jack Leaning, Alex Lees, Adam Lyth, Steven Patterson, Azeem Rafiq, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Matthew Waite.

Scorecard
Headingley Weather

03 May 2017, 07:38 #2

The Weather's set fair and I wish I was there.

Pity we don't have the full squad to choose from, Plunkett and Willey will be missed. Durham not being able to play Wood evens things up a bit, but not totally in my view. I wouldn't be surprised if the ECB will have told him to hold a bit back until he's got a few matches under his belt and England need it anyway.

I'd like to see Coad and Waite play to see how they go while we still have the reassurance of Rashid, Root and Bairstow in the team.

Think the match is now on R5SX so at least I can imagine I am there.

03 May 2017, 08:58 #3

YORKSHIRE from: Gary Ballance (Capt), Jonny Bairstow (Wkt), Tim Bresnan, Karl Carver, Ben Coad, Matthew Fisher, Peter Handscomb, Jack Leaning, Alex Lees, Adam Lyth, Steven Patterson, Azeem Rafiq, Adil Rashid, Joe Root, Matthew Waite.

Scorecard
Headingley Weather
I don't know why we're wearing out Patto by making him do twelfth man duties..

And whats Alex Lees done wrong..?

03 May 2017, 09:55 #4

Scorecard
Headingley Weather
Well he's not doing 12th man duties today: Waite and Patterson in for Plunkett and Willey

Lees was dreadful in one-day cricket last season, averaging less than 15 in the 50 over matches and making only one 50 from 22 white ball innings overall, so I think has something to prove before regaining his place- Leaning for instance performed far better in white ball cricket last year. It might be an exception caused by the pressure of captaincy, but equally it might be a reversion to the norm considering 2015 is the only year he's actually done well in one-day cricket.

03 May 2017, 10:06 #5

Scorecard
Headingley Weather
2014 when Lees was decent in white ball Cricket, he's gone backwards since.

2015 he averaged 27 which isn't horrendous i guess, but alongside a 64 strikerate it's pretty poor. 2016 was horrendous!

My darling Maxi

03 May 2017, 10:09 #6

Scorecard
Headingley Weather
Yes I don't see Lees as a one day player and prefer him to focus on four day cricket and approach to batting.

The Durham team seems to not only be missing Wood and Stokes but also Rushworth, Onions and some of the names are new to me completely although I am aware of Weighell the young spinner from south of the border in Stokesley who comes from a family of Weighells (so is that a shoal?) who have played their for decades.

Having had two Lankys umpire the Roses much on Monday today we have one of them still in situ but accompanied by former Durhsm opener Gough from Hartlepool.

In football I know the refs declare undying love for a team and they are not appointed for games in the vicinity of their home town. In cricket they tend to think umpires are fully neutral and impartial although we don't seem to be getting many former Yorkies doing our games!

03 May 2017, 10:26 #7

Scorecard
Headingley Weather
It's reason no 412 in my list of reasons why cricket is better than football. We never seriously discuss umpire bias, whereas in football the ref only has to come from the same county and Jose is jumping around protesting. If anything in cricket, I've felt one or two umpires are a bit too keen to demonstrate a lack of bias. It can work against you having an ex-player officiating.

03 May 2017, 10:34 #8

Scorecard
Headingley Weather
I'm inclined to agree until you then take this logic to the next level up where you expect the better umpires to officiate yet on the international scene (with all the supporting technical gadgetry and referrals) they have moved to neutral appointments.

I'm not for one moment suggesting Gough, Lloyd and O'Shaughnessy of bias but a dodgy decision from them might then spark a debate. My preference is to avoid an accident happening rather than clear up the mess afterwards.

Anyway, perhaps one of them could raise their finger in the next over or two please

03 May 2017, 10:41 #9

Scorecard
Headingley Weather
James Weighell was in the Yorkshire Schools' squad until the age of 15. He was not considered good enough for the Academy. He had his first five wicket haul for Durham recently, so it will be interesting to see how he goes today.

03 May 2017, 11:10 #10

Scorecard
Headingley Weather
I see from Cricinfo that Collingwood is on 10,998 List A runs.

Nowadays he tends to bat at 6 or 7, so unless our bowlers can get some wickets, he may not even get to bat.

He was on 10,997 runs two days ago, but batted at 7 (V Warwickshire) and managed to score a single off the only ball that he faced.