One Day Cup QF | Yorkshire vs Surrey at Leeds (Match Thread)

13 Jun 2017, 09:02 #11

Jun 13, 2017 - 2nd Quarter-Final at Headingley, Leeds (day/night)

YORKSHIRE from: Ballance, Bresnan, Brooks, Carver, Coad, Fisher, Handscomb(wkt), Leaning, Lees, Lyth, Patterson, Rafiq, Rhodes, Waite.

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Headingley Weather
Lots of Surrey left handers for Rafa to go at.

My darling Maxi

13 Jun 2017, 09:08 #12

YORKSHIRE from: Ballance, Bresnan, Brooks, Carver, Coad, Fisher, Handscomb(wkt), Leaning, Lees, Lyth, Patterson, Rafiq, Rhodes, Waite.

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Headingley Weather
That's a good suggestion Steve, but let's not stifle the right for folk to express a view or an opinion. It seems to happen quite a bit on this forum at times, a sense of old thought police brigade.

13 Jun 2017, 09:10 #13

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Headingley Weather
I don't think Patterson the worst shout given the likely overcast conditions, i'd be half tempted. The past 4 days work might count against him though and not great in the field at the best of times.
My darling Maxi

13 Jun 2017, 09:17 #14

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Headingley Weather
I'd pick Brooks as he will be fresh and he has a spark about him. We need wickets to win today or Sanga and Stoneman will just bat through.

For me it's a case of whether or big 3 will do better than theirs. Lyth Ballance and Handscomb will need to outbat Sanga Stoneman and Borthwick

13 Jun 2017, 09:25 #15

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Headingley Weather
Patterson's figures at Worcester don't fully reflect his contribution. He was the bowler who pulled it back when Worcs. were getting away.

13 Jun 2017, 09:55 #16

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Headingley Weather
Tim`s wife has still not had their child, so he may be missing. Also a possibility that Rafa is injured,
according to reports.

I think the team will be

Lyth, Lees, Hanscomb, Ballance, Leaning, Waite, Rhodes, Fisher, Carver, Coad, Patterson or Brooks.

Patto would be the most economical of the two, but Brooks would be more likely to get wickets early on, but would be a lot more expensive.

With Stoneman, Borthwick & Sangakkarra in early, Brooks would be the best option for me. If any of those 3 get settled, Surrey will get a massive score.

The other alternative is to bat first, rack up a big score ourselves, then let scoreboard pressure do it`s work.

It will boil down to Hanscomb & Ballance v Stoneman (who always scores big against us), Borthwick & Sanga.

13 Jun 2017, 10:00 #17

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Headingley Weather
Jay it was request and a suggestion - nothing more..
Its a Yorkshire cricket trait i think - perhaps all clubs are the same - we used to spend hours comparing our current team to previous players. Now we spend hours comparing our team on the pitch with the team we could field in an ideal world.
Sometimes i just think its important to recognise the contribution of the lads actually out on the pitch...

13 Jun 2017, 10:20 #18

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Headingley Weather
Fair point Steve, in regards the current side, 'they've got the spirit, don't loose the feeling or take the shock away' that's for sure.

13 Jun 2017, 11:07 #19

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Headingley Weather
Regarding comments about Borthwick - worth noting that whilst he's opened a couple of times for Surrey in the RLCup he's mostly played at six. Batting in white ball cricket isn't his strength, he's not generally a quick scorer. Tempting fate to say that I know.

13 Jun 2017, 11:17 #20

Live Scorecard
Live Commentary
Headingley Weather
True - doesn't Borthwick normally bat at 8 or 9 in T20 games?!