ODI`s in 2 weeks time

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

ODI`s in 2 weeks time

April 20th, 2017, 4:01 pm #1

It will be an interesting selection, unless all the England players are ordered back from the IPL, which I doubt very much.

No Morgan, Roy, Woakes, Stokes, Buttler, Billings, Jordan & Mills. I assume Root will captain, as the 1 day skipper and Vice-Captain are away in India.

Yorkshire may lose even more players!!

Hales, ??, Root, ??, ??, Bairstow, Ali, Rashid, Plunkett, Willey, ??.

April 20th, 2017, 4:06 pm #2

Think we've already discussed this.

Only Woakes, Buttler and Woakes are staying out for the full IPL, Morgan, Roy and Billings are returning.

Mills doesn't even play 50 over cricket and Jordan hasn't been in recent squads.

April 20th, 2017, 4:08 pm #3

It will be an interesting selection, unless all the England players are ordered back from the IPL, which I doubt very much.

No Morgan, Roy, Woakes, Stokes, Buttler, Billings, Jordan & Mills. I assume Root will captain, as the 1 day skipper and Vice-Captain are away in India.

I was not aware that some of the players were returning. Not to bad then, but still a few gaps to fill.

April 20th, 2017, 4:17 pm #4

And plenty of players to fill them. I don't see any Yorkshire players being called up apart from the usual suspects. England will pick a few youngsters I suspect - the likes of Duckett and Livingstone will probably be involved.

April 20th, 2017, 5:14 pm #5

But the 'usual suspects' are Root, Bairstow, Rashid, Willey and Plunkett - that's FIVE of them! And they will be missing for the entire duration of the Champions Cup, or whatever they call it. There will be a competition rule debarring English players from turning out of their counties, to be fair to the other seven countries.
Bowlers win matches

April 20th, 2017, 6:02 pm #6

That is right, it will be played under ICC conditions so non-playing squad members stay with the squad (although the ECB will still get blamed!). It's a much shorter tournament than the World Cup at least.

April 20th, 2017, 6:20 pm #7

So Hants, who've bought in players, will be OK. It again shows that 'Team England' don't care about counties

April 20th, 2017, 6:30 pm #8

England can't exactly prevent Hants from importing players and there are financial incentives in place for counties to develop their own.

April 20th, 2017, 6:32 pm #9

I have never understood the reasoning behind the ruling that players can not play in domestic competitions during ICC competitions.

What difference can it make if players play 4 day red ball cricket on their rest days during a 1 day white ball competition. It is more likely to hinder them than help them.

April 20th, 2017, 6:35 pm #10

I guess the reasoning is that the host country doesn't get the extra advantage of its non playing squad members gaining match practice when they already have home conditions as an advantage.