ODI | England vs Bangladesh at the Oval (Match Thread)

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

ODI | England vs Bangladesh at the Oval (Match Thread)

June 1st, 2017, 3:20 am #1

Jun 1, 2017 - Group A at Kennington Oval, London

England from: EJG Morgan, MM Ali, JM Bairstow, JT Ball, SW Billings, JC Buttler†, AD Hales, LE Plunkett, AU Rashid, JE Root, JJ Roy, BA Stokes, DJ Willey, CR Woakes, MA Wood

Live Scorecard

June 1st, 2017, 7:57 am #2

I am sorry that this game and many others in the Champions Trophy are not Day / Night games as always enjoy watching cricket on TV in the evenings.

June 1st, 2017, 8:10 am #3

England from: EJG Morgan, MM Ali, JM Bairstow, JT Ball, SW Billings, JC Buttler†, AD Hales, LE Plunkett, AU Rashid, JE Root, JJ Roy, BA Stokes, DJ Willey, CR Woakes, MA Wood

Live Scorecard
Highlights on BBC2 every night, just before midnight.

Ideal timing for some free to air cricket to bring in a new young audience!

Can't work out the time-zones but the live timings will fall right for some TV audiences in some part of the world.

June 1st, 2017, 9:12 am #4

Live Scorecard
Its 3pm in India...........

June 1st, 2017, 9:37 am #5

Live Scorecard
No surprise that a Strauss controlled squad has 3 of the 4 non playing members from Yorkshire. I'm all for our lads going on and playing for England but when they are consistently picked and not played, it just shows the anti - Yorkshire bias.

June 1st, 2017, 9:57 am #6

Live Scorecard
Hmm. To be fair to Strauss (can't believe I have just said that), four Yorkshire players have featured pretty consistently in the ODI side in the last few months. Bairstow the only player to miss out. Not sure that the first time in months that this is not the case can be held up as being anti-Yorkshire.

What I think it does point to is that Morgan is tying himself in knots justifying selections. We can't drop Roy because of his past deeds - he has even pretty much now said that he will play in all of the games regardless of form. But Rashid - whose form inevitably fluctuates but delivers match winning or match defining contributions pretty frequently and over the last 12 months has been one of the best spinners in the world in the short form, can be taken out of the side at the drop of a hat. This doesn't disturb the equilibrium of the side at all and of course it wont affect Rashid's confidence. He might have made the right decision on Rashid, but hard to justify on his own terms

June 1st, 2017, 10:07 am #7

Live Scorecard
I dont think there's anything strange in chopping and changing bowlers in given circumstances yet keeping batsmen in and giving them more time. Quite common in a lot of cricket teams, there's nothing unique in morgan doing that.

June 1st, 2017, 10:22 am #8

Live Scorecard
Yep. Extra seamer vs 2nd spinner is a completely different debate to the batsmen.

Personally i'd be selecting Rashid ahead of Ball everytime though.
Christopher Roger Woakes.

June 1st, 2017, 10:24 am #9

Live Scorecard
I do find it a bit frustrating that some Yorkshire players are not featuring especially when they now cant play in the Roses game at the weekend.
But I really don't believe that Morgan, Bayliss and Strauss sat down last night and picked a team with any thought of anti Yorkshire bias. Sure trying to win and enhance their reputations are far, far more important factor to them.

June 1st, 2017, 10:30 am #10

Live Scorecard
Surprising that Rashid has been dropped. He's played 41 of England's last 44 ODIs apparently. England's plan has usually been 4 seamers and 2 spinners. He's had 60 wickets in that time, 2nd only to Rabada since the last world cup.