Next years venues

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

August 28th, 2016, 6:31 pm #21

If there are fundamental problems with the viability of Headingley, it is hardly going to be because of eight days of championship cricket being played elsewhere, from which the club takes a financial cut anyway (I would also be interested to know how much club merchandise was bought by the 15,300 spectators last week and how that compares with Headingley sales at four day games).

August 28th, 2016, 6:37 pm #22

I don't know the cut that is taken from the ticket sales, however it's clear headingley needs every penny it can get.

I think the attendence would be more than that, someone said it 10k day one and 5k day two against notts.

August 28th, 2016, 7:29 pm #23

Attendences are high at Scarborough no doubt about it, but cann YCCC afford to play x amount of days cricket away from their ground? That's the key question.

I wonder how the other counties get along, do other clubs also own their outgrounds?
Attendances are high at Scarborough and I love going. It's a long time though, since more than 7,000 have regularly attended.
With more than about 6,000 in the ground, it's an uncomfortable squeeze.

I would support two Championship fixtures at Scarborough for as long as good attendances can be maintained.

Yorkshire need to work very hard to build their support base and should be able to attract far higher audiences than that which attended today's semi-final. I hope the Club feels disappointed with today's attendance. Nevertheless, as support is grown for the one day forms of the game, Headingley is the only ground in the County with the capacity to comfortably accommodate crowds of 6,000 plus.

I wish it were different.

August 28th, 2016, 8:09 pm #24

There wasn't a 10,000 crowd on the first day. 4971. Almost exactly the same on day 2. Chris Waters recorded the final aggregate as 15,300. Day 3 lower coz of the weather and day 4 the usual lower last day figure.

Looking at my 1980s photos of championship matches, i would say that championship crowds at Scarbs now are much, much higher than in the 1980s. Over the past 15 years or so when exact crowd numbers have been recorded, the crowds have been largely unchanged. Exception in 2001 when the first title for 33 years was in view. Great video of that match, BTW, on You Tube. Higher attendances now, as against the 1980s, might reflect the higher number of retired people in the UK population compared to the 1980s.

One day crowds at Scarbs are lower than, say, the 1990s and much lower than in the 1970s/early 1980s - again from looking at old photos and recent announced gate figures. The 1970s crowds of course benefited from one day cricket still being a relative novelty. The recent decline vis a vis the 1990s i am sure is partly because of the endless messing around with the 40/50 over competitions.

August 29th, 2016, 12:17 pm #25

Recent results on the pitch notwithstanding- and I think you would be on very shaky ground if you were to include these as a factor for deciding the future of Scarborough- they have clearly got the split correct. Championship cricket is better-attended at Scarborough than Headingley and is far better-attended than one-day cricket so it clearly makes sense to leave the Championship games at Scarborough.

I'm sure there would have been a bigger crowd for the SF yesterday had (a) Yorkshire been able to field a stronger XI and (b) had the weather leading up to the game not been so foul.

August 29th, 2016, 9:22 pm #26

Taking the new toss rules into consideration and that pitches have worn faster than usual (three weeks according to Mark Butcher), having two CC matches at Scarborough might be a shrewd decision.

As far as I am aware, the white ball formats are yet to be determined and Andrew Strauss wants more 50 over cricket. Reducing two CC matches potentially allows a 16 match T20 Blast, therefore an additional T20 home game goes a fair way to compensate for the loss of a CC home match.

No Pyrah, no party

August 30th, 2016, 6:29 am #27

Apologies for the confusion over Scarborough. My tryping let me down, again

August 30th, 2016, 7:29 am #28

The club need to look to use headingley for other games more often especially when we play at Scarborough. We have never hosted t20 finals day but most other test grounds have. Ladies internationals are another option.

August 30th, 2016, 12:24 pm #29

Agree in principle but that may be easier said than done. The Finals Day venue has already been decided until 2019 and I doubt Headingley would be considered with other grounds having much higher capacities anyway. I can't see the women's internationals being profitable and the ECB seem to prefer using smaller grounds (Chelmsford seemingly being favourite), where a crowd of 3000-4000 makes the ground look reasonably full.

August 30th, 2016, 2:04 pm #30

As someone trying to arrange a weekend (hopefully) in Scarbados in 2017 a 50 over game or first/second day of a championship game would be appreciated on a Saturday