New T20 comp.

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

New T20 comp.

March 27th, 2017, 2:43 pm #1

from the Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/ ... a-counties

The vote takes place today to change the Constitution of the ECB to allow them to hold a competition without all 18 counties involvement. The 1.3M bribe to all counties will ensure that all the turkeys will vote for Christmas.

As an aside --- are any supporters in favour of this new comp apart from the idiots at the ECB. Nearly all the postings after every article about the new comp seem to be against it. Do, or will, the ECB listen to supporters. NO, of course not!!

March 27th, 2017, 3:06 pm #2

March 27th, 2017, 3:12 pm #3

Couldn't help but notice that the 1.3 million pound inducement to the counties is one hundred thousand pounds less than Ben Stokes is getting for his few weeks stint in the IPL.

The mess of pottage isn't all that succulent in reality!

March 27th, 2017, 6:23 pm #4

Looks like a done deal to me and if there is a shock vote against they will keep voting until they get the result they want, our game as we all know and love is about to change for the worse imo, but the money men will be loving it.

March 27th, 2017, 6:28 pm #5

Couldn't help but notice that the 1.3 million pound inducement to the counties is one hundred thousand pounds less than Ben Stokes is getting for his few weeks stint in the IPL.

The mess of pottage isn't all that succulent in reality!
I think either the Chairman or Mark Arthur mentioned getting cricket back on the BBC during the AGM when talking about the new competition being on free to air TV. Just to put cricket back in front of people and get a new audience in.

Anybody having watched the Big Bash with the incessant advertising, i.e " lets have a look at the buntings warehouse replay" will have seen through that and known it was commercial TV they were talking about.

The latest from the ECB is that:

'All games will be televised with significant free to air exposure'

What proportion 'significant' is we will see, probably not the final!

I think I also picked up that the games would be played during the day.

Probably just a happy coincidence that the timings will be just right for an early evening TV audience in India!

March 27th, 2017, 8:00 pm #6

Lets be honest, this is coming. End of. The objections of the current cricket community are meaningless, its about a new audience. End of.

A few, for example Vic Marks in his most recent Guardian article, Radcliffe (ex- Warks) of the PCA and a few players are expressing doubts but to quietly and to late.

To me the counties need to set out some 'red lines'. They have to get something more than money from these changes. I'll start CC returns to 16 games and the re-written ECB constitution needs to be clear that first class cricket includes all the existing 18, no others, no composites and no rationalization.

March 27th, 2017, 9:05 pm #7

So eight teams, fifteen man squads with 3 overseas players. The quality will be high so people will pay to watch, anyone who thinks otherwise is living in cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid. Test players won't be available throughout but that has never hindered the Big Bash. It's a sad day in many ways but it's also a sign of the times, cricket must adapt or die.

March 28th, 2017, 8:24 am #8

I think the absolutely crucial thing is Terrestrial TV.
Cricket will die if we don't attract kids and families.

A few years ago cricket was the fifth most popular game in Australia.
Its now the most popular - almost entirely because of the Big Bash.
I'm afraid that doing nothing is simply not an option.

We need this new tournament, we need games at Headingley, therefore (I'm afraid) we need the new stand and the additional debt that involves..

March 28th, 2017, 8:24 am #9

So eight teams, fifteen man squads with 3 overseas players. The quality will be high so people will pay to watch, anyone who thinks otherwise is living in cloud cuckoo land I'm afraid. Test players won't be available throughout but that has never hindered the Big Bash. It's a sad day in many ways but it's also a sign of the times, cricket must adapt or die.
I must be living in cloud-cuckoo land then!!

Artificial teams, with artificial names, played on artificial pitches, with possibly no locally based players, no test players and on "free to view" tv. Crowds will be no higher than the current T20 tournament, IMO.

And to fit this in, we get a reduction in the CC, a second X1 50 comp, and a reduction in the county based T20 comp.

8 teams, 36 matches -- I assume 4 home and 4 away by playing the local team twice and the others once (as in the Aussie big-bash).

March 28th, 2017, 8:43 am #10

Bumble and Hussain all for it (surprise, surprise) :-http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricke ... tions.html