Morkel Kolpak?

Morkel Kolpak?

13 Aug 2017, 07:52 #1

Story on cricinfo suggesting he may give up with the South African team and convert to Kolpak with Warwickshire and a London county in contact.

Surely he has unfinished business with us?

13 Aug 2017, 08:57 #2

We might end up with Albie!

13 Aug 2017, 09:48 #3

Story on cricinfo suggesting he may give up with the South African team and convert to Kolpak with Warwickshire and a London county in contact.

It may be an unpopular opinion (not least with our so called "coach") but I really think we need to get with the times and join the Kolpak party before it's too late, particularly as, Coad aside, we have little coming through the ranks. Obviously anyone we did sign would have to be someone with quality like Abbott and Harmer. Morkel would fit that bill as a replacement for Ryan.

13 Aug 2017, 10:46 #4

If Morkel wants to sign as an overseas player then we should consider him. But if he wants to be a financially induced Kolpak then I want nothing to do with it.

As the best and most successful county we should be above such a shabby practice.

13 Aug 2017, 11:52 #5

I wouldn't want us to follow other counties and sign five or six, but I don't see a problem with signing one international quality player who we wouldn't have to worry about losing half way through the season.

13 Aug 2017, 12:08 #6

I think the more worrying issue here is that such a quality test bowler is ready to walk away from it.

13 Aug 2017, 16:34 #7

Another consideration is the impact all these signings from elsewhere will have on our Academy. In recent years, we have signed Andrew Hodd to address our lack of a wicket keeper, Jack Brooks and Liam Plunkett to bolster the fast bowling and David Willey and Tom Kohler-Cadmore to strengthen our one day squad.
Add in the overseas player(s) and a Kolpak player and the majority of the team would be from elsewhere. What message does that give to our youngsters or their coaches ?
Already Will Rhodes has voted with his feet. Would others be tempted to do likewise if they saw first team places going to players from outside ?
Had we signed Morkel this season, I doubt whether Ben Coad would have had his opportunity.
Some years ago when Michael Vaughan's powers were waning, we were fortunate to have two promising young men called Jonny Bairstow and Joe Root. Happily we did not go trawling the world for a batsman.
Each year we employ twelve players in our Academy at considerable expense. They need the incentive of a possible eventual first team place to retain their focus. Who knows which of them may be another Root, Bairstow or Coad.

13 Aug 2017, 17:00 #8

Regarding young players, I wonder whether we would have done any worse than giving Coad and Fisher a chance with the new ball against Essex in Scarborough match or having then both in side for the 20/20 competition. Willey has been a disappointment as bowler and has only infrequently contributed substantially as a batsman. Both Waite and Rhodes also showed some promise. We have been guilty of the old pals act under Gale as captain and coach both in terms of selection and using players effectively.

13 Aug 2017, 17:12 #9

I have felt really sorry for Rhodes and how he has seemingly been treated, so much so that he is moving on at seasons end.

I wonder if Gale just doesn't rate him enough and that maybe is the crux of it.

If so, is maybe Rhodes not enough of a yes man or part of the click, who knows, but i have read elsewhere on here and in other places that the dressing room is not a happy place, well i wouldn't expect anything else due to the disappointing results but i wonder if some of that stems from differet players being treated in different ways by the coaching staff, who knows.

13 Aug 2017, 17:40 #10

Posted on wrong thread, apologies