Might relegation not be such a bad thing?

Might relegation not be such a bad thing?

21 Jun 2017, 17:16 #1

Let's face it, it will probably happen once Ballance is established with England and Sidebottom retires. The second XI looks good at the moment. Maybe we could do with a year in division 2 to allow us to transition the side and hopefully come back with a bang like what happened in 2012.

21 Jun 2017, 17:44 #2

No offence intended but you seem rather obsessed with relegation!

21 Jun 2017, 17:56 #3

Let's face it, it will probably happen once Ballance is established with England and Sidebottom retires. The second XI looks good at the moment. Maybe we could do with a year in division 2 to allow us to transition the side and hopefully come back with a bang like what happened in 2012.
Well presuming his username relates to Leeds United, relegation and failure are part of his everyday life.

I'm more of a York City man myself, so I can't really talk.

21 Jun 2017, 18:48 #4

Relegation is always a bad thing, especially if you are a proud Yorkshire supporter. To start a season without the opportunity to be the champion county is unacceptable for a club with such a proud history, and one that has won more Championships than any other county by a wide margin.

Second division means little or no coverage in the press and would likely affect attendances, as well as the club's ability to attract the highest quality players. As well and since ticket or membership prices would not be reduced, supporters would "enjoy" lower quality cricket for the same prices.

As well the math is against you, given that there are more teams in the second rung than there are in the first division. i.e. mathematically at least, it is harder to win promotion than to get relegated.

Relegation has no useful function. As a 55-year Yorkshire supporter it is unacceptable.

21 Jun 2017, 19:18 #5

Well said Alex. It's an absurd notion in all honesty, clearly there are cracks for all to see and this requires attention. I appreciate that the club is trying to address some of these issues, but this should have been done sooner rather than later.

21 Jun 2017, 19:25 #6

Going down would be a disaster. Youngsters looking to make a career in what isn't an amazingly well paid profession would seek other 1st Division clubs to improve their chances to play for England (when the money starts rolling in). Do you think Ben Coad will want to play 2nd Division cricket for a few seasons when I imagine many top clubs would be only to happy to pay his young wages?

21 Jun 2017, 19:27 #7

If you find yourself relegated, you make the most of the opportunities created. Sometimes, with hindsight, it can seem to have been beneficial.

I have no doubt people sent to prison have consoled themselves with similar notions, a year or two away from the rat-race, family, whatever, a fresh start, time to reflect.

But you would never wish it upon yourself. Would you?
Bowlers win matches

21 Jun 2017, 19:29 #8

The one plus is that, bizarrely, you get more prize money for winning the 2nd Division than you do for coming 6th in the 1st Division!

21 Jun 2017, 21:34 #9

I have to disagree over relegation affecting crowds. Yorkshire were rubbish for years in the 1970s, 1980s & 1990s (& part of the 2000's) yet we were still better supported than most counties. I'n the early 2000's Derby did 'cheap' membership to try & improve crowds. One retired mate took it up & used to go if Yorks weren't at home. The fist morning of the Derbyshire match after Yorkshire had visited another member was heard to say "Isn't it good to get our ground back". Both teams were in the 2nd division at the time.

21 Jun 2017, 21:50 #10

There would be some long faces and irate rants but then members would come to terms with it and 4 days in Derby would be a bonus for the South Yorkshire brethren.

No County is too good to go down, especially when teams can bring in ready made top class players under Kolpak rules and 25% of teams are relegated.

The good thing about Yorkshire is they are too good to stay down.