Michael Plumb RIP

06 Oct 2016, 15:59 #11

Sorry to hear of his passing, that's one of the sad things I find every new cricket season, there is always some faces that never see the first New Ball, and you never know who it's going to be ?

Having said he had the lot ? I think he has like the rest of us, had to endure 20years or so of winless cricket while Sheffield Wednesday have faired even worse over these years 😢

06 Oct 2016, 19:46 #12

I last spoke to Michael at Scarborough at the very start of the 50 over game with Notts. He looked frail and old. He was a man who loved Yorkshire cricket and I'm glad there is some love towards him.

Owls talk also has a positive thread marking his passing, its worth a read. 'Michael plumb Owls talk' into google takes you to it.

07 Oct 2016, 09:27 #13

Without wishing to take this thread away from Michael, I always assumed that I was the only one who remembered the 'yummy .... yummy .... choc ice' man. Was he just a Scarborough thing? That was the only place we went in the 1970s.

07 Oct 2016, 11:45 #14

A true legend. We used to chat with him when he sat with us for a few minutes at the top of the East Stand, on his way to lunch, or on his way back to his regular seat.

On one such occasion about 7 or 8 years ago he said he'd just had an argument because someone had sat in his seat. The discussion was along the lines of:

Michael: "Excuse me but you're sat in my seat."
Spectator: "But I've been sat here for two hours."
Michael: "I've been sitting there for thirty f**king years!"

07 Oct 2016, 12:00 #15

I vividly remember yummy yummy man at headingley and Scarborough and his line about centrally heated chic ices on a cold day.

You used to get scorecards, evening POST, lottery ticket and scratch card sellers all walking the stands flogging their wares throughout the day.

Presume budgets, health and safety, technology boom and Brexit are to blame for their demise. Or is it Boycotts fault!?

07 Oct 2016, 12:53 #16

Yummy was a big jovial Irishman who worked for the yorkshire lottery but he would sell anything. I think he passed away a few years ago.

07 Oct 2016, 15:31 #17

Paddy was the Irish lottery seller.

Yummy Yummy was the ice cream man from Askern, Doncaster. He came to our house every Friday night in the football season to collect my father pools coupon, a man of many roles. He came to Doncaster as a post war Polish refugee to work in the South Yorkshire coal mines.

07 Oct 2016, 16:11 #18

Yummy Yummy chocolate ices is certainly remembered on the NE Upper. He gets mentioned at least once a match ... & Yes centrally heated chocolate ices are mentioned. He was of European origin.

Paddy was the Irish lottery seller in the 1990s, his side kick was 4 for a pound (who we still see from time to time at Headingley). Paddy sadly died of a heart attack during one season. At the time I was disappointed that Yorkshire didn't say anything as at the time he was the visible face of the club.

08 Oct 2016, 16:52 #19

One of my first memories of Michael is of a hot sunny afternoon at Scarborough in 1996. He was there with his mother and it really was a very hot day. Whether due to the heat, or simply due to her familiar approach to interacting with Michael, she became very irritable and gave poor old Michael a real hear-bashing. When I got the opportunity I asked Michael if everything was OK, to which he responded that his mother wanted to go home a couple of days early as "She had had enough!" "Oh", I said. "So are you not staying for the rest of the match?" "Yes I am", he emphatically replied. Adding, "It's my car and I told her that it would not be going back to Sheffield before the last ball!"

He could give the impression that he was intimidated by his mother, but when it came down to what he wanted to do, he simply took no notice of her. This was a recurring characteristic in the conversations I had with Michael over the next 20 years.

09 Oct 2016, 13:24 #20

Paddy was the Irish lottery seller.

Yummy Yummy was the ice cream man from Askern, Doncaster. He came to our house every Friday night in the football season to collect my father pools coupon, a man of many roles. He came to Doncaster as a post war Polish refugee to work in the South Yorkshire coal mines.
A fellow Owl Sid?

Crikey, yes I remember "yummy yummy choc ices" !! It seems a long time ago! He used to come to Yorkshire games at Harrogate and Scarborough, didn't know he was originally from Poland