Matches commencing 28 August

28 Aug 2017, 21:34 #11

Essex v Somerset
Lanc v Warks
Surrey v Middx

Despite not playing this round of matches is well worth keeping an eye on.

We, alongside Hants, are sitting this round out and hoping there isn't too much damage done points wise.

I'd like to see it all come together a bit with wins for Somerset and Warks and a draw in the other one. All low scoring of course with no batting points for anybody.

The glass half empty part of me, and many others I'm sure, want to see Somerset and Warks lose and cement their positions in the bottom two.

All we can do is see what transpires.
We are not going to win the Championship, so no way do I want Somerset to win.

C'mon Essex, beat Somerset or we could well go down.

29 Aug 2017, 07:27 #12

Essex v Somerset
Lanc v Warks
Surrey v Middx

We, alongside Hants, are sitting this round out and hoping there isn't too much damage done points wise.

I'd like to see it all come together a bit with wins for Somerset and Warks and a draw in the other one. All low scoring of course with no batting points for anybody.

The glass half empty part of me, and many others I'm sure, want to see Somerset and Warks lose and cement their positions in the bottom two.

For a golden couple of weeks last year County cricket was in the news during the nail biting championship run in.

We might not be involved in the drama at the top this season but I think seeing Essex 50 points clear with only one match to play is not what County cricket needs.

I understand the motives of wanting to tread on the fingers of the two teams hanging over the precipice, and when it comes to the last game of the season I'm with you. But there's still plenty of the season left and lots to play for.

I know pessimism is in some peoples DNA but I prefer to look up and not down.

29 Aug 2017, 07:40 #13

Essex v Somerset
Lanc v Warks
Surrey v Middx

We're all in the gutter - but some of us prefer to look at the stars...

I'm with you. Our destiny is in our hands. Lets not worry too much bout other people's results.

29 Aug 2017, 07:57 #14

Essex v Somerset
Lanc v Warks
Surrey v Middx

Love your 'treading on fingers'analogy Geoff B.

29 Aug 2017, 15:19 #15

Essex v Somerset
Lanc v Warks
Surrey v Middx

The three losses we need by Middlesex, Warwickshire & Somerset are looking more likely now.

We could still have 3 teams below us going into next weeks matches.

29 Aug 2017, 19:09 #16

Essex v Somerset
Lanc v Warks
Surrey v Middx

You can never trust the weather forecast of course but if it is correct then I can't see any play at Essex or the Oval tomorrow which probably brings a draw into the equation for both those matches.

Rain possible at Old Trafford on Thurs but giving Lancashire the points for a win.

Team Played Points
Essex 10 165
Lanc 10 141
Hants 10 117
Surrey 10 114
Middx 10 105
Yorks 10 103
Somerset 10 84
Warks 10 68

I can live with that, we haven't lost much ground and Essex are still capable of being caught, even if it is by Lancashire.

29 Aug 2017, 21:41 #17

Essex v Somerset
Lanc v Warks
Surrey v Middx

I do see Geoff's point, but if the choice is between a title race contested by Lancashire- especially the current Kolpak-heavy Lancashire side- and a stroll to the title for Essex, I think I'd prefer the latter. Much better day for us on that basis, with Somerset and Warwickshire both struggling.

29 Aug 2017, 21:53 #18

Essex v Somerset
Lanc v Warks
Surrey v Middx

Personally I am not interested in any title race not contested by Yorkshire, whether it is tight or not. Lancashire winning the Championship would just about crown our worst season since 2011. Who won the Championship that year again?...

Not a year I ever want to see repeated.

29 Aug 2017, 21:59 #19

Essex v Somerset
Lanc v Warks
Surrey v Middx

Lancs play Essex at OT next week, while we are taking on Middlesex. Warwicks play Somerset at Edgbaston.

All will be much clearer following that round of games. Perhaps.

29 Aug 2017, 23:03 #20

Essex v Somerset
Lanc v Warks
Surrey v Middx

it looks like the weather is getting worse, probably rain affected next week. a great shame after waiting so long for proper cricket to come back. septembers are sometimes nice but it gets more doubtful.