Lions Squad

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

October 2nd, 2017, 3:44 pm #11

Lions: Dom Bess (Somerset), Joe Clarke (Worcestershire), Paul Coughlin (Durham/Nottinghamshire), Alex Davies (Lancashire), Ben Duckett (Northamptonshire), George Garton (Sussex), Nick Gubbins (Middlesex), Tom Helm (Middlesex), Keaton Jennings (Durham/Lancashire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Jamie Porter (Essex), Amar Virdi (Surrey), Tom Westley (Essex), Mark Wood (Durham).

No Yorkshire involvement, looks like Rashid is now just a white ball Cricketer. Wonder if Sam Northeast fancies a move to Division one to get noticed?!
I feel that the Lions Squad these days is a bit of a mixture of up and coming and genuine reserve. Which I suppose does indeed mean that Plunkett is nowhere near the test side ditto Rashid. Given that Anderson only bowls in the early 80s these days, its a good job hes got other attributes to keep him in the side! Coad may not be express but he is not Patto's pace either!

October 2nd, 2017, 5:44 pm #12

Lions: Dom Bess (Somerset), Joe Clarke (Worcestershire), Paul Coughlin (Durham/Nottinghamshire), Alex Davies (Lancashire), Ben Duckett (Northamptonshire), George Garton (Sussex), Nick Gubbins (Middlesex), Tom Helm (Middlesex), Keaton Jennings (Durham/Lancashire), Dan Lawrence (Essex), Jack Leach (Somerset), Liam Livingstone (Lancashire), Saqib Mahmood (Lancashire), Jamie Porter (Essex), Amar Virdi (Surrey), Tom Westley (Essex), Mark Wood (Durham).

No Yorkshire involvement, looks like Rashid is now just a white ball Cricketer. Wonder if Sam Northeast fancies a move to Division one to get noticed?!
Jimmy Anderson was bowling 84/85/86mph this summer in the Tests. On Sky Patterson is normally 76/77. On the few times Coad has been on he was 78/79/80mph

October 2nd, 2017, 7:18 pm #13

A Lions squad with no Yorkshire involvement would have been unthinkable a few years ago. Another wake-up call as to how our squad and the careers of the likes of Lyth, Lees, Leaning and to an extent Rashid have declined...

Not too surprised Coad isn't included. He's only played one season of first team cricket and hasn't been part of the England pathway as much as others so not too surprising that the likes of Porter, Garton and Mahmood were selected ahead of him. I'm sure he's on the radar though.

October 2nd, 2017, 9:00 pm #14

I really like the squad. Especially the batting which effectively says "We are in the last chance saloon, over to you youngsters"

I would not have wasted my time on Westley unless they expect him to change his technique.

Happy with the spinners also. Bess and Leach are the right choices.

Bowling - I would have liked to see Jamie Overton back in after his injury but understand why not.

I know little of Coughlin. Or the lad at Essex.

October 2nd, 2017, 9:08 pm #15

If it transpires that Ben Stokes doesn't go on the Ashes tour I would expect one of Plunkett or Finn, probably Plunkett to be included in the full England squad.

October 3rd, 2017, 5:44 am #16

I think this squad suggests its Wood who is on stand by to replace Stokes.

It's definitely a squad for the future though. Only Five have played full international cricket (westley, wood, livingstone, duckett and jennings) suggesting the selectors have given up on a number of players.

An alternative third squad of players not in the lions or ashes team might be

Lyth
Robson
Hales
Dawson
Davies S
Rashid
Plunkett
Finn
Curran
Patel
Bell as skipper and to pass on experiences

Who have all played in the past and then 5 fresh faces.

You learn from better and more experienced players as much as coaches.

October 3rd, 2017, 7:09 am #17

I was surprised neither of the Currans nor Josh Tongue were in the squad. Unless they are being either rested or in a special fast bowling squad.

October 3rd, 2017, 2:54 pm #18

'Not too surprised Coad isn't included. He's only played one season of first team cricket and hasn't been part of the England pathway as much as others so not too surprising that the likes of Porter, Garton and Mahmood were selected ahead of him. I'm sure he's on the radar though. '

Mahmood has only ever played 4 first class games but like Garton he has been part of the U19 set up. Coad has never played for England at any level. Coad would have been in I think if he bowled around 85mph instead of 78-80mph.

October 5th, 2017, 6:19 pm #19

Just to mention that Steve Dennison stated on Twitter that Yorkshire had requested a winter off for Coad (and Fisher) which may have also been a factor in his non-inclusion.

October 6th, 2017, 6:24 am #20

Poor decision if that's the case while allowing their peers to develop and experience other conditions.

When we start in March there will be complaints we are undercooked despite Dubai warm ups.