Lancashire youth policy

Lancashire youth policy

03 Nov 2017, 13:44 #1

They have re-signed Chanderpaul - he'll be 44 during the next season! Mind you, he's still pretty good. And apparently Chapple is still registered as a player, although it's a few years since he has played.

Less facetiously, they have extended the contracts of Matthew Parkinson, and Rob Jones, both of whom look like good prospects.

03 Nov 2017, 14:21 #2

To be fair to Lancashire it would only be proportionate to remember that there were loud protests from Yorkshire members when the Club decided not to renew Percy Holmes' contract at the age of 46 years. He had missed several games in the previous season as he had been suffering from lumbago.

03 Nov 2017, 16:29 #3

They have re-signed Chanderpaul - he'll be 44 during the next season! Mind you, he's still pretty good. And apparently Chapple is still registered as a player, although it's a few years since he has played.

Less facetiously, they have extended the contracts of Matthew Parkinson, and Rob Jones, both of whom look like good prospects.
I believe Percy Holmes' share of the record breaking stand of 555, was his last century. No doubt some statistics guru can either confirm or refute that.

03 Nov 2017, 17:27 #4

Seems a little bizarre, given they've let two good batsmen in Louis Reece and Luke Procter move on in the recent past

03 Nov 2017, 17:47 #5

Jennings, Hameed, Davies, Livingstone, Chanderpaul, Vilas, Maclaren is a very strong batting line-up.

04 Nov 2017, 09:45 #6

I've just renewed my Lancs CCC '1st XI' membership. Perhaps they were waiting for my £96 before finally committing to Chanderpaul.

I still can't believe their results from last season, and even with Jennings and Chanderpaul and Onions I think they'll be relegated next year. Of all the Lancs youngsters, I think the big medium-fast Danny Houghton is the best. There's a batsman/w-keeper, too, same under 19 age - George Lavelle - but Yorkshire are infinitely the stronger at that level, where James Logan and Jack Shutt have just received awards. Harry Brook is in that group too.

Luis Reece would have been okay if they played with a tennis ball.

04 Nov 2017, 09:59 #7

I thought Mahmood (?) looked quite good against us last year.

04 Nov 2017, 10:42 #8

£96 membeship at Lancs??? £165 for us. Second class price for second-hand cricket, perhaps?!

04 Nov 2017, 10:54 #9

JolyD wrote,

"I believe Percy Holmes' share of the record breaking stand of 555, was his last century. No doubt some
statistics guru can either confirm or refute that."

You are quite correct. Percy Holmes scored 60 centuries for Yorkshire. Of course, his career was interrupted by the Great War; having first played for the County in 1913; when he would have been at the height of his powers.

The first century (exactly, 100) was against Notts in 1919 and his last (224 not out) was his share of the 555 against Essex in what was to be his final season (1932). (There is a similarity with Lehmann here, in that in some sense, both went out on a "high"). After that he was in and out of the side (presumably due to the "injury" which ultimately finished his career) with a series of scores in the 60's, 70's and 80's, of which 87 against Surrey at Bramall Lane was the highest. In his last game at the beginning of August, against Leicestershire at the old Aylestone Road Ground, he scored 4 in the first innings and Yorkshire won by an innings and 169 runs, so he did not get a chance to improve on his first innings performance.

Of the 60 centuries, he had eight scores of over 200, of which two progressed to over 300.

His highest (315 not out) was against Middlesex in 1925. This was an unusual score as no-one else got over 61 runs for YCCC.

The link ishttp://cricketarchive.com/Yorkshire/Sco ... 11512.html

04 Nov 2017, 10:56 #10

The £96 at Lancs is the price of a concessionary (OAP) First XI membership, which entitles you to watch 11 days of cricket and not entry to all fixtures.