Kolpaks

05 Jan 2017, 20:00 #21

Signing Keaton Jennings would be hugely beneficial and i don't see much difference in him and a Kolpak.

05 Jan 2017, 20:24 #22

They've recently produced Vince and Dawson to be fair, but the point still stands re Kolpaks. I can't say I'll be impressed if we go back down that route - there are at least four more on the way according to Neil Manthorp, the South African commentator.
The days of season long overseas professionals have long gone, so I wouldn't mind so much if Yorkshire were able to pick up a very high quality Kolpak to provide us with the sort of season stability that Lehmann gave us (or even Rudolph). What I don't like is an average (but proven) Kolpak displacing an up and coming player.

06 Jan 2017, 00:07 #23

Couple of shrewd pick ups from Hants in fairness. Might even keep them up..
My darling Maxi

06 Jan 2017, 07:41 #24

in fairness to Hants they have developed two English players in recent seasons and also have some good young players in and around the youth set up such as Alsop and Crane.

I personally think one Kolpak feels OK. Two just seems a bit unfair and unbalanced.

That said if they now sign an overseas player as well 3 of their 11 would be overseas players.

06 Jan 2017, 07:54 #25

Couple of shrewd pick ups from Hants in fairness. Might even keep them up..
The complaint about Kolpaks was that they were a cheaper alternative than developing your own players. There is no disputing the excellence of the likes of Hall and Rudolph and Henderson, nor of the two Hampshire have just acquired, in addition to Ervine, McLaren and Berg already there. Not sure if McLaren is their registered overseas man, but I think they had Fidel/Tino in that position?

Hampshire have produced almost no England players in my lifetime, and absolutely not a single outstanding one. Of all 18 Counties, I think they're alone in this respect.

The comparison with Keaton Jennings does not bear examination. Durham invested in him, as a teenager, as we did in Ballance. He was years away from being a 1st XI County player when he first turned out for them, and now he is scoring runs for England. Secondly, his mother is not only English, but from County Durham.

06 Jan 2017, 08:08 #26

in fairness to Hants they have developed two English players in recent seasons and also have some good young players in and around the youth set up such as Alsop and Crane.

I personally think one Kolpak feels OK. Two just seems a bit unfair and unbalanced.

That said if they now sign an overseas player as well 3 of their 11 would be overseas players.
"That said if they now sign an overseas player as well 3 of their 11 would be overseas players."

They have already signed an overseas..........George Bailey.

Oh plus they ALREADY have Fidel Edwards and Sean Ervine playing as Kolpaks.

That's 5 non English qualified players!

06 Jan 2017, 09:13 #27

Counties such as Hampshire, Glamorgan and Leicestershire seem to have trouble growing their own players and have historically needed to top up with solid county pro's.

Instead of taking cast-offs from the bigger counties the state of South African cricket and the economy means that some world class players are available, relatively cheaply, and available for the full season.

Once a team looks that way and has a link formed with coaches, or former players acting as agents it must be difficult to say no.

The ECB needs to revisit the money held back for fielding Kolpaks and consider increasing it.

06 Jan 2017, 09:32 #28

"world class players are available, relatively cheaply"

I'd suggest that at £500k over 3 years Abbott is far from cheap.

06 Jan 2017, 09:52 #29

Keaton has a father who is a passionate South African and won 14 caps.

06 Jan 2017, 10:06 #30

Indeed, Jacobus, and if he had stayed in S Africa another couple of years and completed his cricket education there, he would have been in the same category as all those Kolpaks, or as KP. But he didn't. He developed into the player he is now by turning out for Durham 2s, by playing - and failing! - for the first team, until he finally made his breakthrough.

The point I am making is that he didn't turn up in England as the finished article, unlike Kevin Pietersen, or Jacques Rudolph, to give but two examples. English County Cricket was Jennings' finishing school.