Joe Root admits he might not be able to get back into Yorkshire team

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Joe Root admits he might not be able to get back into Yorkshire team

April 26th, 2016, 1:44 am #1

"Joe Root is set to feature in his first four-day game for Yorkshire in two years this weekend, yet the world's second-ranked Test batsman admits he is unsure if the back-to-back county champions have room to accommodate him." - Daily Mail

Read More

April 26th, 2016, 6:31 am #2

Tell Joe not to worry, he'll get in alright.

April 26th, 2016, 7:25 am #3

I wouldn't be so sure about that Geoff, I imagine we'll go with the on form Patto and Plunkett in the number three and four slots.

April 26th, 2016, 8:00 am #4

Tell Joe not to worry, he'll get in alright.
He will get in for his bowling . We need an off spinner to keep things tight at one end . Then Patto can concentrate on his batting .

April 26th, 2016, 9:28 am #5

He isn't suggesting that he isn't good enough. The key words are 'is it worth unsettling things just for a couple of games.' He's right. There's no-one obvious to leave out and Rhodes is already waiting his turn. Unless one of the two captains gives way, I suppose it will be Jack Leaning, who batted well enough this time to have recovered his right to be selected. Not easy, and typical of Joe that he can see the problem from the team's point of view.

April 26th, 2016, 10:04 am #6

I think Team England will be keen for Joe to garner some more captaincy experience.

In which case, Gale will be the man to sit out. If Gale is on the field, he'll want to captain (subconsciously or otherwise).

April 26th, 2016, 10:18 am #7

Traditionally, where a selection dilemma has arisen, Yorkshire have always gone for a capped player over an uncapped one. This suggests Jack Leaning would have to stand down.

April 26th, 2016, 10:45 am #8

Traditionally, you had to be born in Yorkshire to play for Yorkshire.

This suggests that tradition has gone 'out the winda'.

April 26th, 2016, 5:05 pm #9

You have to think that the non capped player would be the one to step aside but the England captaincy thing clouds things a little.

Not sure that England still look at Joe as captain material, but if they did put in a request for Yorkshire to give him a go then Gale batting at Joe's preferred No4 slot would seem the ideal person to drop out.

I hope Leaning does enough this season to pick up his cap at the first, or if not the second Scarborough game.

April 26th, 2016, 10:07 pm #10

Get him in there.

Our team has been nothing but unsettled over recent years...Call ups for England...injuries...Gillespie and England...You overcome it.

Our batting is fragile at the moment. Stick him at 3, moving Balance to 4. Either Leaning or Game test for a game or two then return when he goes back to England.