Is there any hope of Lyth, Lees and Leaning returning to their 2014 level?

Is there any hope of Lyth, Lees and Leaning returning to their 2014 level?

09 Jun 2017, 19:10 #1

You hope their getting their act together when Leaning and Lyth both score centuries in recent matches and Lees has a couple of 50s, but when the next game comes they're all out cheaply and batting collapses and relying on Bairstow/Ballance (whoever isn't with England) and the bowlers to save our skins. I can see this being what costs us the championship if something doesn't happen with regards to it. I know Lees and Leaning are still young, but after 2 years of underperformance now, is it time to accept they are average (maybe decent) players who have an innings or 2 in them?

09 Jun 2017, 20:04 #2

Lyth and Lees both passed 1000 runs last season, scoring seven centuries between them. They both averaged 40+. You have point re Leaning though, who is now under huge pressure from Kohler-Cadmore.

09 Jun 2017, 21:29 #3

You hope their getting their act together when Leaning and Lyth both score centuries in recent matches and Lees has a couple of 50s, but when the next game comes they're all out cheaply and batting collapses and relying on Bairstow/Ballance (whoever isn't with England) and the bowlers to save our skins. I can see this being what costs us the championship if something doesn't happen with regards to it. I know Lees and Leaning are still young, but after 2 years of underperformance now, is it time to accept they are average (maybe decent) players who have an innings or 2 in them?
I'd also argue Leaning is, or should considered to be, under pressure from Rhodes. I still think Rhodes deserves a run of say 4 games batting at 5.

Pressure will come,but not yet,from Harry Brook - its when, and not if, he'll makes the 1st team.

10 Jun 2017, 08:48 #4

Agree with Seadog on Lyth and Lees. Lees maybe hasn't developed how we hoped after his start (Remember when he battered Derbyshire?).

However, both are and will be big players for us going forward. Of the two, Lees is more flakey. I have often wondered if he needs a bit of protection, moving down to bat at 3, which may happen if Brook continues his good form.

I agree Leaning seems a bigger concern but he has the talent I feel is worth persevering with.

10 Jun 2017, 10:44 #5

Those who expect every player who comes through into the Yorkshire team to be of the quality of Root and Bairstow are likely to be disappointed. Those two players are ranked in the world's top 12 test batsmen. How many others have we produced of that quality in the last 70 years? Boycott, Vaughan and no one else I can think of.

10 Jun 2017, 11:39 #6

Yes even in the late 70s I thought we had a golden era with Athey, ,sharp and Love coming through but only one went on to have moderate success with England.

10 Jun 2017, 14:41 #7

Totally agree with Dewsburian (for a change)

If we had our full team available, we would be a match for any international side!

10 Jun 2017, 15:14 #8

"Those who expect every player who comes through into the Yorkshire team to be of the quality of Root and Bairstow are likely to be disappointed. Those two players are ranked in the world's top 12 test batsmen. How many others have we produced of that quality in the last 70 years? Boycott, Vaughan and no one else I can think of."

With respect, Dewsburian, this is arguing via a false dichotomy. No-one is suggesting we should have such players all the time. We should expect better, however, than what some of the batsmen have served up over the past two years.

10 Jun 2017, 23:21 #9

I think the Lees/Leaning question may go the way of some of the debates of yesteryear, which, from memory, include: "Is Andrew Gale too good for the second team but not good enough for the first?" "Will Tim Bresnan fall just short of county standard with both ball and bat?" "Will Steve Patterson ever be quick enough to take wickets at first-team level?" and "Isn't it time to accept that Adil Rashid is really a batsman who bowls a bit of leg spin?" They were all interesting discussions in their day, but history suggests that opinions may evolve quite quickly.

11 Jun 2017, 07:56 #10

A usually reliable correspondent reports that Lees had a good innings yesterday. Only 38 runs but in difficult conditions.

I think most peoples frustration with Lyth and Lees in the last couple of seasons is because we've previously seen what a fantastic opening pair they can be.

We are gradually coming to terms with reality though and we will probably find at the end of the season that they are both right up there with other leading opening batsmen. (Maybe not with Stoneman)

It could be worse, England golden boys, Hameed and Jennings, who could do no wrong last season, seem to be scratching around a bit too.