Injury news

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Injury news

April 10th, 2017, 12:28 pm #1

from todays YP

"....Attention now turns to Friday’s trip to Warwickshire, where Yorkshire hope to have a couple of bowlers back from injury.

“Fingers crossed, David Willey and Matthew Fisher will be available,” said Gale.

“They are playing in a four-day second-team game against Lancashire at Old Trafford, and, if they pull through the first innings of that match, they could be available for Friday......"

If Bresnan does not make it, which looks possible as he did not look to good at the end of yesterday, then, hopefully, both of them in. If Tim is ok then Fisher for Shaw.

April 10th, 2017, 12:44 pm #2

It would be an interesting scenario if Willey, Fisher and Bresnan were all available. Coad, Bresnan and Patto would surely all keep their place leaving only one place for Willey / Fisher.

Would we really lose any batting depth if we swapped Leaning for Willey? On paper swapping a batsmen for an all rounder looks like the last thing we should do given our current batting weakness but does anyone think Leaning is actually more likely to make runs? If one had to bat to save my life i'm not sure I could choose between them at the moment, Willey's bowling would just be an added bonus.

April 10th, 2017, 1:03 pm #3

from todays YP

"....Attention now turns to Friday’s trip to Warwickshire, where Yorkshire hope to have a couple of bowlers back from injury.

“Fingers crossed, David Willey and Matthew Fisher will be available,” said Gale.

“They are playing in a four-day second-team game against Lancashire at Old Trafford, and, if they pull through the first innings of that match, they could be available for Friday......"

If Bresnan does not make it, which looks possible as he did not look to good at the end of yesterday, then, hopefully, both of them in. If Tim is ok then Fisher for Shaw.
Jack Leaning has been picked for the first game, at 5, a much better slot for him than no 3. He has been given first shot at establishing/redeeming himself. He should be given a run to prove himself, one way or the other. After him, arguably Rhodes deserves the same opportunity to gain a place in the 5-7 problem area.

So far, I have very little sense Willey has much to offer with bat or ball in red ball cricket. Purely as a bowler, he wouldn't be a shoe-in for my 2nd XI if everyone was available.

April 10th, 2017, 2:07 pm #4

from todays YP

Every chance that Leaning will only get more game before having a game off - Root will come in for him at Hampshire and presumably Bairstow for Hodd, so you would think he would get one more game. Rashid will come in for Rafiq, so the only way Willey gets in is if Coad is rested.

April 10th, 2017, 2:26 pm #5

from todays YP

There was an interesting comment from the second eleven scorer following the match at Durham. He said Fisher, who took four for four in four overs, had just too much pace for the opposition. That's promising as Hampshire definitely had more pace than us.

April 10th, 2017, 2:56 pm #6

from todays YP

Leaning might have not scored much in runs, but spent 76 minutes in the middle during the 2nd innings. Only Ballance last longer (133 mins), Hodd 71 mins and Lees 64 mins. Crease occupation is just as vital when the Hampshire game advanced so far into the afternoon/evening session of Day 2.

As for what Willey has to offer, his ability to open the bowling is what Yorkshire need right now. Bresnan did a fine job as an interim opener, but a void was left in 1st/2nd change as Patterson and Shaw went wicketless. An opening partnership of Coad/Willey with Bresnan back to 1st change improves Yorkshire's wicket taking ability beyond the new ball and takes pressure off Patterson who won't feel he has to take wickets when his line and length bowling does more than a job.
No Pyrah, no party

April 10th, 2017, 3:06 pm #7

from todays YP

Idle Man you stated in another post along the lines of I hope the players don't read these stupid comments. I hope Willey doesn't read yours fella
Poor man’s Tim Bresnan

April 10th, 2017, 3:21 pm #8

from todays YP

I would add, that for the white ball he's an automatic pick. But as a Championship bowler, behind Sidebottom, Brooks, Patterson, Bresnan, Plunkett, Fisher, and now arguably Coad.

April 10th, 2017, 4:01 pm #9

from todays YP

I wouldn't consider dropping Leaning after one game to accommodate an extra bowler and crease occupation is important I agree. That said, I'm not sure he was batting slowly out of choice - he was struggling with shot placement, and something I have noticed before is that he sometimes struggles to nudge and nurdle and get off strike - Ballance did this brilliantly in both innings against Dawson - a mark of when he is in form. I hope he comes good this season as he has a huge amount of talent.

April 10th, 2017, 4:08 pm #10

from todays YP

I agree with Idleman re Willey in red ball cricket. In white ball cricket though he is probably one of the first names on the team sheet.

Also agree re Patto. He needs wicket takers at the other end to be at his best. His line and length metronomic bowling does not work without the strike bowlers.

Rashid for Rafiq, Fisher for Shaw, and if Bresnan is not fit then bring Willey in and bat him at 6.

We can then open with Coad & Fisher and have Bresnan or Willey & Patto as the back up. That bowling line-up looks a lot better than against Hampshire.