India v Australia Test

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

February 26th, 2017, 10:43 am #11

Well it seems Steve Smith has had the last laugh as he scores a match clinching century for Austtalia. Nothing wrong with batsmen playing and missing shots, luring bowlers into a false sense of security and bowl forthcoming deliveries into the batsmans slot.

Steve Smith might have taken an unorthodox approach to batting, but his quick hands and feet helped him stay at the crease to throw the Indian spinners off. In comparison, a fair number of Indian wickets fell to batsmen not moving their feet and being forced into playing strokes.

Peter Handscombes keeping might be a lot to be desired, but seems quick and agile when fielding close. This could prove useful whenever Adil Rashid is into the attack.

Amazing game cricket.

After easily beating England on proper pitches I can only surmise India didn't feel quite so confident about beating the Aussies on a level playing field.

Backfired spectacularly.

I didn't see much of the game but I thought Kohli was quite thoughtful and gracious in defeat.

February 26th, 2017, 12:39 pm #12

Smith's innings was amazing, wasn't it? I was fortunate to be in Cape Town when another Aussie captain played a great innings. Michael Clarke was battered by Steyn and Morkel, but came through it, and his team won.

The contrast is what makes Test cricket great, the physical courage in that case, the skill and mental strength that Smith showed.

I didn't watch the post-match interviews, but it's no surprise that Kholi came across well. Cricket has some great role models, and the IPL has turned rivals into friends, an unintended but welcome spin-off.

I will set my alarm for 4am on Friday, I think it is. England play Windies on Friday, definitely. Meanwhile, it's England rugby this afternoon. Tough life.
Bowlers win matches

February 26th, 2017, 4:01 pm #13

If you set your alarm for 4am you'll be sitting around for a long time DM. The Windies vs England ODI starts at 1.30pm GMT

February 26th, 2017, 6:39 pm #14

I was thinking of the India v Oz 2nd Test, dpressed. I can catch up with my sleep during the 50-over game.

Actually, I've just checked, the Test starts on the following day, 4 am GMT, Saturday. I'm not expecting a similar pitch. "Hoist by their own petard," is the slightly puzzling old term for the events in what used to be called Poona.
Bowlers win matches

February 26th, 2017, 6:44 pm #15

Ah I understand. I did check 4am on Friday, just in case.

March 4th, 2017, 1:37 pm #16

The sheer ineptitude of England's bowling kept the 50-over game relatively interesting to the end, but I was up in time to watch the final two sessions of another wonderful day of Test cricket, Saturday morning.

Another "interesting" pitch, at Bengaluru, not so much turn as Pune, but more inconsistent bounce. So far, Australia have again dominated. Now they're making excuses for the poor Indians; the little darlings are tired. No doubt the IPL will cure that...
Bowlers win matches

March 5th, 2017, 12:31 pm #17

Am I the only person watching this match?

I got up at 4 am today (Sunday) and watched the morning session; back to bed for 3 hours; then up at 9 o'clock to watch play after tea. So I saw 4 hours of the 6.

Fantastic cricket. India bowled really well today, and this pitch is a killer. It's actually a poor pitch, in that the bounce is excessively uneven. You would (or should) get 24 points deducted in the CC, because it's unfair, though better than a boring flat track, any day.

Brilliant batting by Rahul yesterday, and by Renshaw (again!) and S Marsh today, though every batsman needed luck, and most who survived for any time got hit. Awful for the wicket-keeper and slips, too, not knowing where to stand, with sometimes three shooters and one lifter in an over!

Unlike Pune, the batsmen didn't have the option of throwing the bat, not really, with so many low balls, but once again the Aussies have shown their street smarts, an appreciation of what's possible and what isn't, especially by young Renshaw - compare Duckett!

The English umpires have been so brilliant that even the ultra-biased Indian commentators have noticed. As you will have gathered, I am hugely into this game, and I'll be up early again Monday. There could yet be a twist in this tale, given India's batting resources.
Bowlers win matches

March 5th, 2017, 1:24 pm #18

Enthralling game of cricket.

Kohli is a fantastic match-winning batsman but between not offering a shot on his last couple of dismissals and India's woeful use of DRS appeals his judgement has been poor in the series - I hope his spatial awareness is more acute when parallel parking.

Renshaw looks a real find. Allan Border might be disappointed the lad didn't want to sh@t himself live on TV but he's impressed me.

March 6th, 2017, 11:04 am #19

Great game developing here, crucial partnership between Pujara and Rahane. Australia will get very nervous if/when the lead reaches 200.

March 6th, 2017, 12:09 pm #20

I watched some play this morning and will be setting my alarm tomorrow for the start. Fascinatingly poised.