In the pink?

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

In the pink?

June 27th, 2017, 6:56 am #1

So the pink ball experiment. Whether it's designed to give test players practice for the day night tests or whether it's to try and help boost county four day crowds by allowing more evening play is a debating point. I favour the former as everything is geared to the national game so how have our test players done with the pink ball?

Cook seems to have no problems with an unbeaten half century. We don't yet know about the three likely starters in the top order from Yorkshire and all may be revealed today.

But Hameed (17) Buttler (2) Stokes (0) and Jennings (6) seem to have struggled. As did the hopeful Gubbins and the former opener for England Compton.

Hard to comment on the bowlers with so many injured or in the lions team but Wood and Anderson in the wickets and let's hope Rashid is today

June 27th, 2017, 7:34 am #2

To me the colour looked more like orange than pink.

June 27th, 2017, 8:06 am #3

So the pink ball experiment. Whether it's designed to give test players practice for the day night tests or whether it's to try and help boost county four day crowds by allowing more evening play is a debating point. I favour the former as everything is geared to the national game so how have our test players done with the pink ball?

Cook seems to have no problems with an unbeaten half century. We don't yet know about the three likely starters in the top order from Yorkshire and all may be revealed today.

But Hameed (17) Buttler (2) Stokes (0) and Jennings (6) seem to have struggled. As did the hopeful Gubbins and the former opener for England Compton.

Hard to comment on the bowlers with so many injured or in the lions team but Wood and Anderson in the wickets and let's hope Rashid is today
It may be my eyes - but i couldn't see it at all.
When they hit it i had no idea where it had gone - and i really couldn't see it rolling along the grass..
The new ball was better - and once the lights started to have an effect it made a difference but for 90% of the day it was worse than usual.

June 27th, 2017, 8:14 am #4

We seem to have bucked the trend of previous pink ball matches and most of yesterdays games.

A big score by Surrey and only 6 wickets.

In all the other matches bar the Sussex game, the first innings have been completed, most of them with low scores and a total of 81 wickets going down in the 7 matches apart from at Hove & Headingley (14 in 2 of them).

Our match --- Was it good batting by Surrey or poor bowling by us, or a combination of both. They are a very strong batting side, and our attack is very "samey" in this game.

June 27th, 2017, 8:22 am #5

Our attack is very same-y, full stop. I don't think many sides fear facing Yorkshire unless it's Ryan on a cloudy morning. Coad is usefully quick but not fast-fast; I guess Plunkett is now heading into that category. Brooks is loose; Patto and Bresnan are reliable, tight and unthreatening. Adil winkles out tail-enders given time but doesn't pose too many questions to experienced batsmen.

June 27th, 2017, 8:37 am #6

I couldn't be there yesterday but the radio commentary team came down firmly on the conclusion that it was very poor bowling against very good batsmen, especially in the middle session. Not a winning combination.

June 27th, 2017, 9:02 am #7

What ball?

June 27th, 2017, 9:27 am #8

Coad is distinctly not quick. He has accuracy and skill. In time, I think it likely he will do the Patterson job for Yorkshire.
Plunkett is much, much quicker than Coad - at least in short bursts. It's so long since I've seen him in a four day game I've no idea whether he can sustain good pace all day.
Brooks is having a worryingly poor season. Bresnan is best employed as our fourth seamer. We urgently require Willey to make progress and Fisher to make a breakthrough.

Any supporters who think that our seam attack is a potent force, need to review their position, as I have done over the course of this season.
We're in transition. This makes for interesting watching but not for winning Championships.

June 27th, 2017, 9:30 am #9

I found that I could see the ball clearly when it was stationary; and not at all when it was in flight. Not much point in attending a cricket match if you cannot see what the ball is doing!

Over all? Not much impressed. "New and improved" generally means, in my experience, inferior, inadequate and more expensive. As a branding devise I have come to distrust it.

In the context of County Cricket, at first attempt, it seems to have resulted in:

1. A ball which cannot be followed in flight.
2. A trade-in for colder evening weather conditions.
3. Intrusive stewarding demanding inspection of the contents of the Brett's Fish & Chip carrier bag at the tea-time break (i.e.after 6.40p.m.) It was not revealed whether they were on the look-out for terrorist devices, or alternatively, contraband alcohol. (Perhaps both, but seemed disappointed that a carrier bag with a fish on the outside, contained nothing more sinister than a fish on the inside.)

All of it amounted to a change in the culture of County Cricket; a regrettable exercise in re-branding. If it continues to will attract a different clientele. It will also repel some. One wonders what attraction/repulsion measurements are being considered and what analysis is being applied to what the outcomes might reveal.

June 27th, 2017, 11:17 am #10

I agree with several posters. I also could not follow the path of the ball until it became stationary.
Day/night cricket is only for balmy summer evenings. Yesterday became distinctly chilly. In fact, although I usually make it a point of honour to remain until the final ball, I left with 11 overs remaining on Monday.
I was surprised at the official attendance which was lower than my estimate. There was also a distinct if small boost of people arriving after work/school. This was certainly noticeable in the Trueman enclosure where I was sitting. Counter to that, older spectators were starting to drift away before the second interval.