Glen Chapple

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Glen Chapple

December 6th, 2017, 7:53 am #1

Glen Chapple, the former Lancashire county cricketer and current LCCC Head Coach, spoke at the Northern Cricket Society December speaking evening at Headingley last night. It was all very interesting. Glen was raised in Earby near Barnoldswick in the West Riding of Yorkshire (currently administered by Lancashire) and born in Skipton. During question time I made the point to Glen and the audience that Earby and West Craven are part of the West Riding of Yorkshire to this day and that so are Saddleworth and Sedbergh. This is because the 1974 Local Government Act abolished the West Riding County Council not the West Riding of Yorkshire which has been in existence for over a thousand years! I emphasised that his loss to Yorkshire CCC made me very sad!

His story was intriguing and I am sure there is no problem summarising part of what he said here. Though his parents are both Lancastrians, on one side his grandparents were from Yorkshire and as a boy he was taken to the Scarborough Festival. This grandmother suggested he be born in Skipton to keep all his cricketing options open!! This was clearly a cricket family! Glen was born there three months before the 1974 Local Government Act altered the administrative boundaries. He became involved in Lancashire Schools cricket as he went to West Craven High in Barnoldswick (which from April 1st 1974 was in the Lancashire Education Authority) and, though Yorkshire approached him when he was about 17 about joining their Academy (having seen him play against them and learning of his Yorkshire birth), by then he felt he was a Lancashire cricketer.

His Lancastrian father Mike was a professional in the Ribblesdale League and was for many years with Earby CC. At that time Mike attended nets at Headingley but when he told them about his Lancashire birthplace, it was suggested to Mike that he would have no future with the YCCC and it would be pointless continuing.

The border districts are truly multi-cultured!!!

December 6th, 2017, 12:00 pm #2

"At that time he attended nets at Headingley but when he told them about his Lancastrian birthplace, it was suggested that he would have no future with the YCCC and it would be pointless continuing."

If that is true then whoever told him that should have put a sock in it! Under the old rules, we always used the historic boundaries, so he would have been regarded as a Yorkie, not a Lancastrian!

December 6th, 2017, 1:02 pm #3

Glen Chapple, the former Lancashire county cricketer and current LCCC Head Coach, spoke at the Northern Cricket Society December speaking evening at Headingley last night. It was all very interesting. Glen was raised in Earby near Barnoldswick in the West Riding of Yorkshire (currently administered by Lancashire) and born in Skipton. During question time I made the point to Glen and the audience that Earby and West Craven are part of the West Riding of Yorkshire to this day and that so are Saddleworth and Sedbergh. This is because the 1974 Local Government Act abolished the West Riding County Council not the West Riding of Yorkshire which has been in existence for over a thousand years! I emphasised that his loss to Yorkshire CCC made me very sad!

His story was intriguing and I am sure there is no problem summarising part of what he said here. Though his parents are both Lancastrians, on one side his grandparents were from Yorkshire and as a boy he was taken to the Scarborough Festival. This grandmother suggested he be born in Skipton to keep all his cricketing options open!! This was clearly a cricket family! Glen was born there three months before the 1974 Local Government Act altered the administrative boundaries. He became involved in Lancashire Schools cricket as he went to West Craven High in Barnoldswick (which from April 1st 1974 was in the Lancashire Education Authority) and, though Yorkshire approached him when he was about 17 about joining their Academy (having seen him play against them and learning of his Yorkshire birth), by then he felt he was a Lancashire cricketer.

His Lancastrian father Mike was a professional in the Ribblesdale League and was for many years with Earby CC. At that time Mike attended nets at Headingley but when he told them about his Lancashire birthplace, it was suggested to Mike that he would have no future with the YCCC and it would be pointless continuing.

The border districts are truly multi-cultured!!!
Perhaps I should have used less personal pronouns in the final para!!! I have now amended that. The last para all refers to Glen's dad, Mike, not Glen himself.
Mike was advised it was a waste of his (Mike's) time, probably some time in the sixties, to continue at Headingley nets. Of course at the time that was true. Glen was never turned down by Yorkshire. Glen turned Yorkshire down as he was already happy in the Lancashire system when Yorkshire became aware of him.

Unfortunately the West Riding areas lost to Yorkshire councils since 1974, eg Saddleworth, West Craven and Sedbergh are not within the jurisdiction of the Yorkshire Cricket Board. The first pair are under the Lancashire Cricket Board whilst the latter is within the Cumbrian, and Lancashire CCC scout in the Cumbrian adminstrative area (North Lancashire, Cumberland and Westmorland).