Gillespie Gone

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

August 29th, 2016, 11:17 am #31

I would echo all the comments

it has been a brilliant five years and he has created a fantastic environment which has allowed the players to flourish

I am slightly concerned that our ability to attract overseas players and recruits from other counties may be diminished unless we appoint a profile coach - I am sure Jason is the reason several overseas players have joined us

August 29th, 2016, 11:18 am #32

Almost an impossible act to follow. If his replacement does 1/2 as well, he will have done very well.

1 loss at Headingley in 5 seasons in the CC. 4 losses in total in 5 years in the CC.

Good luck to Jason and his replacement, who has a few issues to address - a permanently failing middle order (3,4,5), a few ageing bowlers and the second X1 "well" drying up with no-one (apart from Waite) "shouting" out for selection.
Our attitude towards signing players has changed since Gillespie was brought in, this has helped produce the results as well. Let's not forget the days of replacing Rudolph with Sayers and not bothering with T20 overseas players because it wasn't important.

August 29th, 2016, 12:18 pm #33

It's true that in the year before Dizzy arrived we tried to back our own and go without an overseas. However I'm not sure this represented a prevailing attitude over a longer term. Our seasons before that had seen us with Gibbs and Rana, both men with t20 pedigrees, but the former was only a partial success and the latter no real value at all. It's easy to be critical of policy, but this area is now a minefield. I too will be very disappointed if, in addition to finding the ideal coach, Moxon doesn't spend the winter signing an overseas who is top class, permanently available, in prime form and very cheap.

August 29th, 2016, 12:32 pm #34

I too will be very disappointed if, in addition to finding the ideal coach, Moxon doesn't spend the winter signing an overseas who is top class, permanently available, in prime form and very cheap.

oh yeah, lets sign a dozen of them.

permanently available (ie not required by his country), prime form(but still not required by his country), top class(but not top enough to play international cricket) oh and very cheap

anybody got any ideas who?

August 29th, 2016, 12:39 pm #35

Peter...Sounds like Bresnan...

Where can we sign him...

August 29th, 2016, 12:39 pm #36

I too will be very disappointed if, in addition to finding the ideal coach, Moxon doesn't spend the winter signing an overseas who is top class, permanently available, in prime form and very cheap.

permanently available (ie not required by his country), prime form(but still not required by his country), top class(but not top enough to play international cricket) oh and very cheap

I'd like to enquire about whether Dilshan might want to join.

August 29th, 2016, 12:40 pm #37

Thanks for the memories Jason.

(Hopefully something to add before the end of the season?)

August 29th, 2016, 12:40 pm #38

"anybody got any ideas who?"

The same guy who will captain the one day side???????????

August 29th, 2016, 12:47 pm #39

Where can we sign him...

Where can we sign him...

ah yes, good old Bressie....can someone remind me which overseas country he is from again

August 29th, 2016, 12:54 pm #40

"anybody got any ideas who?"

The same guy who will captain the one day side???????????
I echo all of the above comments, Dizzy has done a fantastic job with this Yorkshire side and we will be eternally grateful to him for bringing sustained success back to the club- yes he's been fortunate to work with a strong squad but that is not a guarantee of success. It's a shame we couldn't add a limited overs trophy to complete his Yorkshire CV despite going close twice this season; hopefully we'll seal a third Championship instead.

Re: timing, I don't find it odd, I think we all knew this was going to happen sooner or later and once the decision is made the club may as well announce it publically as it would get out one way or another anyway. I'm sure the club didn't want Dizzy to leave so the statement is hardly going to be bombastic.

Successor? Well it will need to be someone who can work with Moxon as Gillespie did, that double act seemed to suit both well. Totally agree with the comments about Grayson- no bloody way after the mess he made of the Essex job; doubt that Farbrace would leave his role with England; not sure that Dews' strengths lie in working with first team players and he certainly doesn't have the credibility and contacts from a playing career that Gillespie has; Dawson I do think is a good option given his success with Gloucs.