Gary Ballance

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

July 17th, 2017, 1:23 pm #11

seems to really split opinion.

On one hand, you have a young batsman who proved himself as a number 3 with some great scores. Got found out, went back to Cou ty cricket and (second time around) was recalled deservedly so based on this seasons form.

That said, he clearly hasn't changed his technique to the requirement of the international game. He lounges into his crease and still gets caught by the pace>bouncer>full ball .

I cannot see him as an international cricketer. He would be fine against lesser Countries but I fear for him against the Aussie quicks in Oz.

The decision to bat him 3 is ludicrous. If anywhere, 5 was an obvious spot.

What frustrates me more is that to us, he is possibly the difference between winning the Championship or not.

Seems like he is already on borrowed time and sounds like he was a "captains pick".

Anyone got any thoughts on Balance? Have we lost him for good or will he be back with us?
Hick, Ramps, similar talented county players who never quite succeeded as hoped on the big stage. Well if Ballance follows their example then that's a lot of centuries to come in a Yorkshire shirt which is fine by me

July 18th, 2017, 6:22 am #12

On one hand, you have a young batsman who proved himself as a number 3 with some great scores. Got found out, went back to Cou ty cricket and (second time around) was recalled deservedly so based on this seasons form.

That said, he clearly hasn't changed his technique to the requirement of the international game. He lounges into his crease and still gets caught by the pace>bouncer>full ball .

I cannot see him as an international cricketer. He would be fine against lesser Countries but I fear for him against the Aussie quicks in Oz.

What frustrates me more is that to us, he is possibly the difference between winning the Championship or not.

Seems like he is already on borrowed time and sounds like he was a "captains pick".

Anyone got any thoughts on Balance? Have we lost him for good or will he be back with us?
Root needs to take responsibility and bat number 3, especially after two left handed openers. It was crazy and unfair to push Gary Ballance up the order as he does not have the technique to cope with top class seam bowling..Hopefully he will be returned to us as our captain and continue to prosper for the county. England never use our players properly and it undermines then eg Rashid.

July 18th, 2017, 8:36 am #13

I guess with Ramps and to a certain extent Hick, they had natural ability AND technique, but struggled mentally. With Ballance, he is certainly mentally tough - he hasn't thrown his wicket away in this series and has knuckled down. The question mark is about his technique.

July 18th, 2017, 3:12 pm #14

Well, it certainly looks like he'll miss the next test now he has a broken finger. Hopefully his time will come again and he'll bat is his best position at 5!

July 18th, 2017, 3:20 pm #15

Confirmation from cricinfo.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-s ... 11853.html

Stoneman & Westley seem to be the next cabs on the rank to replace Gary.

July 18th, 2017, 10:10 pm #16

This injury is particularly ill timed.

He won't be available to play for us and the question of whether he is England material will drag on for even longer.

It must be 50/50 whether his next match is the 4th Test at Old Trafford or Yorks v Essex at Scarborough.

A lot depends on how his stand in, or stand ins plural, get on.

July 18th, 2017, 10:42 pm #17

on a forum like this, surely the least we can do is get the lads name right.

July 19th, 2017, 7:13 am #18

With most posters not putting in a message title the original spelling mistake is perpetuated.

I did, once upon a time, always enter a message title to reflect what I wanted to say.

It's probably going too far to make the message title a mandatory field but I for one will try to do better.

July 19th, 2017, 7:58 am #19

Morkel contributed little in his one game spell with Yorkshire curtailed by injury but he may have contributed more to the Yorkshire cause in this test series by exposing Garys technical flaws and breaking his finger to see him left out for the third test.

Whoever replaces him is likely to be retained for the fourth test and Gary will therefore come back to us for the Essex game in scarbados

July 19th, 2017, 8:06 am #20

Will the injury have healed by Scarborough? It is less that 3 weeks away.

We will need him, as Harry Brook is also missing that week with the England under 19`s.

We look very light on batting

Lyth, Lees, Marsh, KC, Leaning not a great looking first 5.