Future of county based cricket

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

October 5th, 2016, 2:32 pm #11

The only conclusion then is that Yorkshire and the ECB regard County members as a problem who are a threat to the progress and future of English Cricket.

And I thought that by paying my YCCC Membership every year and supporting the Yorkshire Pride Lottery I was helping Yorkshire develop young cricketers some of who would also play for England.

October 5th, 2016, 4:30 pm #12

"The only conclusion then is that Yorkshire and the ECB regard County members as a problem who are a threat to the progress and future of English Cricket. …."

…..So much so that Yorkshire had to tell us who to vote for last March lest we impeded the fortunes of the Club…

October 13th, 2016, 12:51 pm #13

http://www.glamorgancricket.com/cricket ... jT7rb68.99

Interesting Q&A with Hugh Morris on the Glamorgan forum.

Pity YCCC have not engaged with the membership.

October 13th, 2016, 2:33 pm #14

Graves has already made up his mind, I've already said plenty on here and now accept defeat on the matter.

October 13th, 2016, 3:45 pm #15

Exactly. Graves will get his way, come hell or high water. He always does!!

October 17th, 2016, 7:46 pm #16

For those wanting a very well informed thread on the city based tournament(CBT) and its implications for county cricket, take a look on the unofficial Sussex fans forum and its discussion 'future of county cricket (or similar). Very well written, some with excellent debate and feedback from a recent ECB forum.

Lets be honest, it's when and how rather than if. On the Sussex forum, there's rumor of a FA cup style comp for non-CBT teams and players to run parallel with the new comp. Further rumour that the CC could be anything from back to 16 games, reduced to 12 or run as three conferences. Its well worth a read.

October 18th, 2016, 8:50 am #17

The ecb are planning a round of day/night championship matches in 2017. Not looking forward to that.

October 18th, 2016, 9:56 am #18

And will they get round to mentioning it to any possible spectators or advertising it in any way? Probably not, they'll be too busy promoting what a good time you can have - you don't have to watch any cricket or anything silly like that- if you go to one of the nine match one day series against Easter Island.

October 18th, 2016, 1:19 pm #19

A day/night Championship match was played at Canterbury a few years ago. According to one Kent member (on a general cricket forum) by 8pm it was cold the the vast majority of spectators had gone home by 9.

The people who back it keep going on about getting people in after work. That only works for London & possibly Warlock in Birmingham. For most of us it simply wouldn't be worth fighting our way through traffic to watch a couple of hours in the cold followed by another drive home for a late night

October 18th, 2016, 2:37 pm #20

I can see how Day / Night games could possibly work for Test Matches so people can watch on TV after work but County Championship games not at all.