FRIENDLY | Yorkshire vs Leeds/Bradford MCCU (Match thread))

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

FRIENDLY | Yorkshire vs Leeds/Bradford MCCU (Match thread))

April 2nd, 2017, 10:18 am #1

Apr 2-4, 2017 - at Headingley, Leeds

YORKSHIRE from: A Lyth, AZ Lees, E Callis, GS Ballance*, JA Leaning, TT Bresnan, AJ Hodd†, Azeem Rafiq, SA Patterson, J Shaw, BO Coad

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League

April 2nd, 2017, 10:21 am #2

I see Callis is playing today. Does anyone know his situation at the club as he is 22 and has been around the 2nd XI and Academy for years but there is never any mention on the site as to regards to signing contracts etc. He hasn't even got a profile on the website under 2nd XI capped or Junior Pros.

April 2nd, 2017, 10:24 am #3

YORKSHIRE from: A Lyth, AZ Lees, E Callis, GS Ballance*, JA Leaning, TT Bresnan, AJ Hodd†, Azeem Rafiq, SA Patterson, J Shaw, BO Coad

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
Think his season was cut short by injury last year but prior to that he had impressed

April 2nd, 2017, 10:34 am #4

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
The line up suggests Handscomb will slot in at three next week, with Plunkett and Sidebottom in for Coad and Shaw if fit.

April 2nd, 2017, 10:54 am #5

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
live broadcast with Cally onhttp://www.bbc.com/sport/live/cricket/39437383

April 2nd, 2017, 1:18 pm #6

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
Eliot Callis is a Senior Academy player. This is a new category introduced by Yorkshire a couple of years ago. Callis and Ryan Gibson were the first players to be so designated. Gibson is now a junior professional. Jordan Thompson and Edward Barnes have joined Callis as Senior Academy players.
I believe counties are limited by the ECB to 12 Academy players. By introducing this new category, Yorkshire can
monitor the progress of more young players.

April 2nd, 2017, 3:33 pm #7

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
How long can you br a senior academy player? This must be his 3rd or 4th year and he's 22 now.

April 2nd, 2017, 7:16 pm #8

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
Hope this match is still going on come Tuesday which is my only chance to get to Leeds.

I suppose in the day someone like Callis might have been picked up by another County. But with so many decent Kolpaks around if he doesn't make it with Yorkshire he will likely be lost to first class cricket.

Good -

Nice to see Michael Carberry get a century today on his return, hope that's his quota for April.

Bad -

Hameed hit on the hand again, more scans.

April 2nd, 2017, 7:24 pm #9

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
It was surprisingly warm in the Eastern uppper for an April morning.
The grass was green, the players wore white and all was well in the World.
Bressie bowled well and Patto was - well - just Patto...
I thought Ben Coad was impressive - very accurate and he built up some decent pace as his spell progressed.
Callis looks like a big lad - it will be interesting to see how he goes.
Lyth and Lees made hay in the sun shine but they will surely face more demanding bowling attacks in the months ahead.
I was surrounded by older people asking if they had "wintered" well.
And the Cheese Man was there - and Geraldo on his Moped.
The only thing missing was the bacon sandwich on arrival which i'd been anticipating since February....

April 2nd, 2017, 7:51 pm #10

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
I also attended today. Luckily IK was warned about the first 'problem' before I got in the ground. The only entry was via the main gates, the Hutton gates staying locked. There were 100-150 at the start of the day rising to around 200 by mid afternoon. On the up side both scoreboards were working, but for most of the morning the clock on the 'main' one (by the North East Stand) appeared to think that it was the middle of the night (by lunch the time was 03:53). The Dickie Bird clock remained an hour fast all day. Thankfully the scoreboard on the West Stand was correct.

It was a gentle start for the team. Apart from one partnership between Graham & Wallace the batting wasn't up to much. As has already been said Coad looked lively, but on a pitch giving movement the bowling was good. The fielding was also decent with no obvious drops. Rafiq was on a hat trick but couldn't force a wicket with the first ball of an over. Patterson went for 11 off his first 3 overs, then 14 off the next 12. Ballance did a good job of rotating the bowling.

Sadly the Leeds/Bradford bowling didn't have much penetration. Lees & Lyth played well, as you'd expect for the first match there was the odd false stroke, but both looked secure. Lees was the more forceful batsman & once he'd got his ton went after one that off-spinner Graham 'pushed through' & was bowled. No worries as it was 'mission accomplished on his part. Callis had no problem batting through to the end.

I must admit in being disappointed that Ashraf was out injured as he'd have hopefully asked more questions than the other bowlers. There was a 'blast from the past' with Paul Hutchison sitting down the front of the Trueman chatting with Johny Bairstow's mum (Johny spent part of the day in the long room & part of it on the player's balcony) & later on with the Leeds/Bradford coach, who I feel I should know

btw we've been told that Stumps (the old cricket school bar/cafe) has closed as it was making a loss.