FRIENDLY | Yorkshire vs Leeds/Bradford MCCU (Match thread))

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

April 2nd, 2017, 7:54 pm #11

Apr 2-4, 2017 - at Headingley, Leeds

YORKSHIRE from: A Lyth, AZ Lees, E Callis, GS Ballance*, JA Leaning, TT Bresnan, AJ Hodd†, Azeem Rafiq, SA Patterson, J Shaw, BO Coad

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
It was men against boys. The current Leeds MCCE crew look a weak side especially without Billy Root and Mo Ashraf.

Despite 30 wicketless overs in the middle of the innings, the natives were starting to get restless, there was always an inevitability after the Leeds innings. Bres looked more like a championship 4th seamer rather than a new ball man but he was operating within himself, Patto was 'Patto' and looked likely to take a wicket at anytime, and Rafiq appeared in good order although more testing times are around the corner.

Both Coad and Shaw did their long term prospects no harm. Coad was impressive and if one of the senior men is unavailable on Friday, I'd expect him to get the nod. Lyth took a couple of low catches at second slip, the sort of relatively sharp chance he makes look routine. Captain Ballance was low key and I'd suggest the bowling patterns were all planned.

When our turn came, Lees and Lyth helped themselves to some easy runs, both were ruthless with anything slightly off line. Both were chanceless. Lees slashed a few wide balls in the air around 3-4th slip but against better attacks, and in more serious circumstances, I'd suggest he'd have not played the shot.

Moans of the day 1) the Dickie Bird clock was an hour fast 2) the Hutton gate entrance was closed, so had to trapse around to St Michaels Lane 3) Long room looked to be still in moth balls when today was the start of the first class season.

The usual crowd appeared to have 'wintered well'. It was good to be back.

EDIT: Just read the post above by Dpressed - I'd agreed with it all. In addition to Paul H and JB, Billy Root was also present and sat in the east stand much of the day. He's playing for Notts 2s tomorrow in the game v Yorks 2nds.

April 3rd, 2017, 7:44 am #12

YORKSHIRE from: A Lyth, AZ Lees, E Callis, GS Ballance*, JA Leaning, TT Bresnan, AJ Hodd†, Azeem Rafiq, SA Patterson, J Shaw, BO Coad

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
Bairstow is a Leeds Carnegie, Beckett, Met old boy I believe. I hope he was relaxing well and sufficiently wrapped up in cotton wool by his Mum. Sitting with the injury prone Hutch may be a health hazard in itself.

Isn't Andrew Lawson the MCCU coach?

April 3rd, 2017, 8:01 am #13

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
Given that the game was free , wouldn't it have been easier to have all the gates open....?
And why were they handing out pass out tickets at lunchtime...?

April 3rd, 2017, 1:53 pm #14

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
I think we could possibly declare now...or Lythy could let someone else have a bat...

April 3rd, 2017, 2:12 pm #15

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
I wonder how long we will bat. Do we get as much batting practice in a possible before declaring? Leaning could do with some time in the middle and a confidence booster before the important stuff but does Lyth really need to go on to get 300? We could've saved a bit of money by finishing it in two days.

April 3rd, 2017, 2:33 pm #16

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
With it being a first class fixture I don't think any batsman would retire.

April 3rd, 2017, 3:56 pm #17

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
It might just be me but i think this is getting a bit cruel now....

April 3rd, 2017, 6:21 pm #18

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
The number of County Championship Matches has been reduced by two to 14 for the 2017 season, on the grounds that the fixture schedule is congested; and yet there is still time available to devote to utterly meaningless games such as this university fixture. How it can be considered to be a First Class Fixture, with a disparity of this enormity is inexplicable.

April 3rd, 2017, 6:38 pm #19

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
That appears to be the case elsewhere too, 5 out of 6 games very unbalanced in favour of the county side. The only exception being in a 400+/6 plays 400+/7 borefest at Northants (I hope we don't see too many of those this season!)

April 3rd, 2017, 6:52 pm #20

Live Scorecard

Pre-Season Poll

2017 FANTASY League
It seems the headingley pitch is following last year's pattern, very difficult till after lunch on the first day, then it flattens out and batsmen thrive. Hope we are not going to get loads of bore draws.