Football Stand

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

December 23rd, 2016, 10:54 am #21

This is not a brown field site. There are lots of complications (not least overcoming planning policy barriers to building on what is a protected playing pitch), so I suspect the banks take account of this when calculating the value of the land for borrowing purposes.

December 23rd, 2016, 3:40 pm #22

YCCC don`t own the Hotel or the new Pavilion which we have to pay rent to the University to use. The rest of the site comprising cricket field and stands must be a valuable asset but would its sale pay off borrowing of £25 Million plus? I think its only the goodwill and support of interested parties such as Leeds Council and the ECB, who want Test Cricket to continue at Headingley, which will keep us afloat.

December 23rd, 2016, 6:46 pm #23

I don't think any significant sympathy from the ECB would be viewed with much tolerance up the road at Durham.

January 4th, 2017, 1:09 pm #24

A report is going to next week's plans panel recommending approval for the stand application. As we know, the other two applications for building on the green field/belt sites have been withdrawn. There is also a report with a confidential appendix which presumably outlines the legal advice which led to the applications being pulled.

None of this solves the finance issue!

January 4th, 2017, 8:16 pm #25

We (YCCC) have an existing debt we can't possibly pay back.
So, we (YCCC) are looking to borrow more money.
To build a stand that spectators of another team (ECB) will use.
And ...... for that reason, I'm out.

Phil
Twitter @ball_sup
Blog Address
http://www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk

January 4th, 2017, 9:01 pm #26

It's a shame but it's hard to disagree with Phil.

For Leeds Rugby the priority has to be the decaying South stand. Their side of the football stand is fully usable and provides more seats than the replacement would.

For YCCC they have to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse to either fool or satisfy the ECB that the stand is fit for purpose come the 2019 World Cup and then the next staging agreement. They were promised a grant of £4M by the council to make this happen.

There has to be something going on in the background for both clubs to stick with this joint application. Maybe some foreign owners are moving into Rugby league, or Mark Arthur's busking was more successful than we ever imagined.

Whatever it is we certainly don't need any more debt and if it does get built they need to ensure it pays its way and come up with innovative ways to use the facilities on non match days.

January 5th, 2017, 9:58 am #27

Agree Phil. To much debt already that will never be paid off, to take on any more, to update a stand that will only be fully utilised for three matches a year maximum.

January 5th, 2017, 10:49 am #28

while fully appreciating the comments above, I think the following should be borne in mind.
Part of the cricket side of the stand has already been condemned as unfit for use. It is likely that the deterioration would continue until the stand has to be closed entirely. This would have an impact on both cricket and rugby. Headingley would lose international cricket after 2019 just when Yorkshire gained control of the lucrative income streams from sales of food and drink.
The rugby side of the stand, which is full on match days, would remain attached to an unsafe appendage. How long could that continue ? It is in the interests of both parties to try to secure funding for a full replacement, probably with naming rights as several other counties have done already. With sport all the year round at the stadium, Headingley is uniquely well-placed to attract a sponsor to benefit from regular TV coverage.
Finally, I note that the plans for the new stand include a first level 500 seat restaurant area overlooking both pitches. This facility would have the potential for 365 day use bringing in extra income.

January 5th, 2017, 12:15 pm #29

Just imagine, 500 portions of fish and chips, mushy peas, bread and butter and scraps!

January 5th, 2017, 12:43 pm #30

We (YCCC) have an existing debt we can't possibly pay back.
So, we (YCCC) are looking to borrow more money.
To build a stand that spectators of another team (ECB) will use.
And ...... for that reason, I'm out.

Phil
Twitter @ball_sup
Blog Address
http://www.ball-sup.blogspot.co.uk
Well summed up Phil, debt will come back to bite many clubs 100% certain and not just ours its mad to just keep inflating it