First Match Memories | It was 55 years ago today!

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

First Match Memories | It was 55 years ago today!

June 28th, 2017, 2:52 am #1

Well I feel old today (yesterday, by the time you read this), given that it was 55 years ago today (June 27, 1962) that as a 10-year old I attended my first County Championship match: the first day of the Yorkshire vs Hampshire match at the old Bradford Park Avenue. It was a sunny, blustery afternoon and Yorkshire won the toss but did not bat well and were all out by tea for 151 (JV Wilson, 51). However, the Tykes went on win the match by five runs when Hants collapsed from 134-5 to 157 all out on the last day, with Illingworth taking 5-34.

I still own the 1962 "Playfair Cricket Annual" I bought at the bookstall during the tea interval; but regret to this day that I didn't buy a scorecard. It is something I would have cherished. (Although I recently bought a copy of the 1963 Wisden, which of course chronicles all the matches from the 1962 season.)

And who would have known that more than half a century later I'd be moderating Yorkshire cricket's oldest and busiest discussion group via something called the "Internet?"

PS: We'd be interested in hearing about your first cricket match memories!

June 28th, 2017, 4:02 am #2

Hi Alex,

read this with interest as we are virtually the same age ! However, alas, I can't remember my first match which was sometime in the sixties but do remember going down to Bramall Lane in Sheffield with my brother to see several matches. I also have my first Playfair from the sixties but i didn't get it at the ground but was given it when my barber saw me perusing a copy while i was waiting for a haircut ( think it was one of the 'books' left by a customer and the barber said it was ok to take ) - of course that was the beginning of a lifelong 'habit' and since then I have accumulated tens of the annual !

This forum is one I always go to continually to catch the latest cricket news and ( Yorkshire) opinions so a BIG THANKS Alex for doing the moderating and long may it last !

Dave

June 28th, 2017, 6:42 am #3

Well I feel old today (yesterday, by the time you read this), given that it was 55 years ago today (June 27, 1962) that as a 10-year old I attended my first County Championship match: the first day of the Yorkshire vs Hampshire match at the old Bradford Park Avenue. It was a sunny, blustery afternoon and Yorkshire won the toss but did not bat well and were all out by tea for 151 (JV Wilson, 51). However, the Tykes went on win the match by five runs when Hants collapsed from 134-5 to 157 all out on the last day, with Illingworth taking 5-34.

I still own the 1962 "Playfair Cricket Annual" I bought at the bookstall during the tea interval; but regret to this day that I didn't buy a scorecard. It is something I would have cherished. (Although I recently bought a copy of the 1963 Wisden, which of course chronicles all the matches from the 1962 season.)

And who would have known that more than half a century later I'd be moderating Yorkshire cricket's oldest and busiest discussion group via something called the "Internet?"

First match?

Scarborough Festival 1965 between TN Pearces XI and the touring South Africans.

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHI ... P1965.html

Not a Yorkshireman in sight sadly even if the match was played at the best ground in the world. But the great Graham Pollock batted and the best fielder I ever saw managed to have to retire hurt and ironically be run out in the second innings. If you thought Jonty Rhodes set the standard for fielding at cover point then Colin Bland was his predecessor who probably taught Jonny everything he knows.

A few too many from Middlesex in TN Pearces XI for me and I assume we were busy winning a game elsewhere. Having checked it appears as though we were destroying Surrey in the Gillette Cup final at Lords with some dashing young opener called Boycott smoting the ball to all parts of Lords whilst racking up 146. But the idea of following the score from another game 200 miles away in pre internet and mobile phone free days means we were probably oblivious to events as we sat and watched the South Africans enjoy their trip to the seaside.

I don't remember most of their team now I look again at the scorecard. That may be because they rested some players from their first team while the others soaked up what the Scarborough festival has to offer. I am told Athol Rowan watched some of the game from the legendary Carlsberg Lager Tent behind the banked seats and his brother Eric accompanied him.

I am also informed that they tried to ply me with lager but my parents managed to stop them just in time. Well I was only four months old and had been placed behind the serving hatch to be out of the way whilst my parents who met at the Festival several years earlier enjoyed catching up with the festival regulars. They will have knowN the barman very well I am sure.

So my first game of first class cricket but I don't recall a ball that was bowled. Thanks to cricinfo and passing down cricketing stories through the generations I feel like I saw it all...

However, the thought of watching Trevor Bailey bat in a festival match worries me.

June 28th, 2017, 9:51 am #4

19th and 20th may 1965. my first yorkshire match. team close captain, boycott, hampshire, padgett, sharpe, illingworth,r hutton, binks, trueman, wilson,nicholson. arguably the greatest county side ever. playing hampshire at acklam park, middlesbrough. yorkshire bowled out for 23 in 20.4 overs by butch white (6-10). if there had been such a thing as internet forums, would disgruntled of inverness, living in nova scotia have been calling for the break up of the team and start over?.

June 28th, 2017, 9:59 am #5

I wish my memory was as good as that or I had purchased score-cards or something from my first match. Unfortunately my memory has gone and I have kept nothing from my early games, so have not got a clue as to my first match, but probably 50 plus years ago, based on when I first started driving my motor-bike, which enabled me to get to them.

June 28th, 2017, 10:15 am #6

1957 (I think) at Acklam Park against (maybe) Warwickshire.

Billy Sutcliffe was captain, Willie Watson and Fred were my heroes, and the whole Wardle hoo-ha was about to kick off.

June 28th, 2017, 10:23 am #7

Watched several Cavaliers games in the 60, including one featuring the great Sobers, in Loughborough where we lived. But the first major match I went to was this one

http://static.espncricinfo.com/db/ARCHI ... L1975.html

and remember Davison's knock as well as his tremendous throws from the boundary. McCosker's knock has faded a bit for some reason.
Great game, lovely weather.

June 28th, 2017, 10:47 am #8

The first top level matches which I went to watch were at Scarborough some seventy years ago, just after WW2 and I remember watching Leary Constantine, Donald Bradman, Graham Pollock and many other great players, including Yorkshire's Bill Bowes, Len Hutton, Maurice Leyland etc. The Festival was always a great spectacle and good fun - we stayed at the Roker Hotel on Queens Drive in the late 1940s and early 1950s.
You mention Brian, the wonderful Gary Sobers. Earlier this year, I had the privilege of sitting just in front of Sir Garfield at the Kensington Oval in Barbados and had a long chat with him about Scarborough Festival years, Lancashire League etc. Also sitting with us were Sir Wesley Hall and other great West Indian players of yesteryear. They are all true gentlemen and very entertaining!

June 28th, 2017, 10:57 am #9

I was reliably told by both parents that my very first first-class match was Yorkshire v Australians at Bramall Lane in 1953. Unfortunately, I have no recollection of it, as I didn't emerge from the womb until mid-September. However, 30-odd years later (as I'm sure I've related here before), I was batting with a fellow Yorkshireman in Birmingham and, in the middle of a long (and probably slow) partnership, we discovered that we'd both been at that same match, though he was a schoolboy of eleven at the time.
I was more focused on rugby league than cricket as a young boy and I remember my first match very clearly: Dewsbury lost 6-0 to Featherstone Rovers and Feth had a player with the extraordinary name of Greatorex, which I assumed came from Azerbaijan or somewhere similarly exotic, but is apparently from Derbyshire. Having said that, most of my early cricket was at Mirfield CC, where the local heroes were the opening pair of Colin Peacock and Barry Wood (I wonder what happened to him), and one of my earliest memories of Yorkshire is of a Colts match against Lincolnshire, also at Mirfield. The son of one of the directors of the firm my father worked for was playing for Lincolnshire, but my only clear memory is of watching Kippax and Gilhouley bowl in tandem for what seemed like a very long - and astonishingly sunny - time. At Mirfield games, I used to run (or cycle) round to the scoreboard when the score was approaching the hundred - or multiples thereof - as the wind-up part of the scorebox only did tens and units and they'd let me put the "tins" up for the hundreds.
We went to a number of county matches en famille when I was a young boy, but my two clearest memories of them are of a belligerent innings by Vic Wilson, who smiled at us boys sitting on the grass as he came back to the pavilion, and of watching a long stand involving Doug Padgett, in which it simply amazed me that anyone could actually hit all the balls he chose to play at (if only I'd learnt how to do that). Most of the cricket I played at that time was of the swing-and-a-miss variety. Vic Wilson was my first batting hero, though Freddie Trueman was definitely the Yorkshire cricket idol of the day and probably influenced my decision to become an unsuccessful fast bowler for Ravensthorpe C of E juniors (there was one game where I was taken off after the first over). It probably wasn't many years after that that my father took me to Fartown to see Len Hutton bat in a charity match. He also took me to Huddersfield Town once to see one of Stanley Matthews's last games, but both experiences probably came a bit too early for me to learn anything from them.

June 28th, 2017, 10:59 am #10

One of the benefits of a rain interruption at the cricket...

I cant honestly remember my first game.
I'm envious of those of you that can.