England v SA 50 overs.

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

England v SA 50 overs.

May 24th, 2017, 7:58 am #1

Should be a difficult start with a sombre mood following the events in Manchester.

I hope once people have paid their respects though the cricket takes over and people enjoy themselves in the Sunshine.

That said, perhaps it would be fitting if a little bit of extra self control could be shown to tone down the amount of alcohol fuelled idiocy that often takes place in certain areas of the ground.

May 24th, 2017, 8:10 am #2

I agree on the alcohol....the state some get in is ridiculous
I also hope there are plenty of armed police/soldiers there today......visible signs of a proper security presence...wouldn't bother me if I were going...not going as it's cheaper to get SKY.....never thought i'd do it but I'm not paying £50 for an ODI !!!

May 24th, 2017, 9:24 am #3

Should be a difficult start with a sombre mood following the events in Manchester.

I hope once people have paid their respects though the cricket takes over and people enjoy themselves in the Sunshine.

That said, perhaps it would be fitting if a little bit of extra self control could be shown to tone down the amount of alcohol fuelled idiocy that often takes place in certain areas of the ground.
Yes my excitement ahead of my first day of cricket watching this season has been deflated by events of more significance and the consequences for today.

As a result I plan to drive, not drink and take as little as possible in view of the increased security and checks that are now necessary.

sadly we have to try and carry on as before but it's hard not to be affected and alter your plans so soon after this weeks awful events in Manchester.

On a positive note I'm looking forward to seeing Miller against Rashid and Plunkett

May 24th, 2017, 9:28 am #4

I glad to see we have good weather for todays game.
Did think about going but combination of price, likely late finish with pain of getting home after and the boozy behaviour of some spectators I decided against it.

Difficult to know the proper response to the events in Manchester on Monday night.
I understand the need for extra armed police but would have the effect of putting me a bit on edge.

May 24th, 2017, 9:32 am #5

Is there a potential problem, with alcohol fuelled morons in the stands and Muslims in both teams? It's all very cynical. They search you to prevent you taking drinks in, only so they can sell you stuff at inflated prices.
Bowlers win matches

May 24th, 2017, 9:38 am #6

"alcohol fuelled morons in the stands"

This. After 35 years of going to watch international cricket at Leeds, Birmingham and both London grounds, I am bowing out. I'm not paying that money to sit with a foul-mouthed mob of beer monsters who don't know or care what is happening on the field for 90% of the time.

However, they are target market and I am not. Sad.

The CC suits me just fine, or will until they strangle it.

May 24th, 2017, 10:21 am #7

Poster above has neatly summed up my own attitude too.
I don't go to live international games any more.

Re today's game I don't care much who wins, just hope it passes off peacefully.

May 24th, 2017, 10:39 am #8

I haven't been to an ODI since the match where a steward was knocked unconscious during a pitch invasion and the match was abandoned, can't remember the year but I think it was against Pakistan, and England were awarded the match as they were so far ahead. Haven't had the appetite since, although I may go to the World Cup if we get some interesting neutral matches. I still go to tests, as they are not quite as bad if you avoid the Saturday, but I much prefer the CC.

May 24th, 2017, 12:08 pm #9

Agree with you all. I would not go to an International match if they paid me £1000 to go.

The way the ECB treat County Cricket, there is no way in any shape or form, I am ever going to support them.

If I want to watch it, which I am not that fussed anyway, Sky is a much better option and I do not have to be anywhere near the alchohol fuelled idiocy that goes on.

As an aside --- today starts the 6 week "drinks carrying" duties for Jonny B.

May 24th, 2017, 12:44 pm #10

Here we go again. Johnny prevented from playing for Yorkshire but then drinks carrier for Emgland. Completely ridiculous to treat their best and most consistent way so stupidly. Why do they need Rashid, Root and Ali at Headingley. Ali is superfluous and poor. Roy gone already - will they regret Bairstow omission.