England v SA 50 overs.

27 May 2017, 17:58 #41

Should be a difficult start with a sombre mood following the events in Manchester.

I hope once people have paid their respects though the cricket takes over and people enjoy themselves in the Sunshine.

That said, perhaps it would be fitting if a little bit of extra self control could be shown to tone down the amount of alcohol fuelled idiocy that often takes place in certain areas of the ground.
A touch of the hokey chokey again from SA I'm afraid. They really should have nailed that.
Great effort from Wood at the end.

27 May 2017, 18:40 #42

Should be a difficult start with a sombre mood following the events in Manchester.

I hope once people have paid their respects though the cricket takes over and people enjoy themselves in the Sunshine.

That said, perhaps it would be fitting if a little bit of extra self control could be shown to tone down the amount of alcohol fuelled idiocy that often takes place in certain areas of the ground.
Agree, SA threw that away big time. 8 runs from 8 balls with wickets in hand should always be a stroll in the park.

27 May 2017, 18:48 #43

I missed the first half of the second innings. Did Rashid bowl so badly as to preclude a second spell? I saw Plunkett bowl exceptionally well, as he did at Headingley.

Didn't the game remind us how important luck is. The Root run out (someone said it was 'careless' - careless by Morgan or careless by Root, for backing up as he has been taught to do since the age of 8?); then Stokes, missed off each of his first two balls, but he had the ability and class to make a hundred.

But luckiest of all must be the two England openers for getting selected. Whatever the stats say, these two look awful against class bowling. Their batting is not based on sound principles. I suppose the theory is that if they both come off, that's terrific; if only one fails, that's acceptable because of the depth. But wouldn't Moin Ali be able to do an equally good job, score just as quickly, and with more certainty?

Not to mention a certain redhead.

27 May 2017, 19:18 #44

No, I thought Rashid bowled reasonably - not his best maybe, but he's always in with a chance of a wicket. Roy and Hales are classic flat track bullies, but we're making big totals regardless of their contributions. Morgan and Root are ultra consistent, although Joe was desperately unlucky today.
Guess they'll rest the injured Stokes for the last game; maybe Jonny will get the nod. Ben should have been out in his first over, twice. SA missed lots of chances in this games, some quite comically.

27 May 2017, 19:38 #45

if you get caught 2 yards up the pitch backing up it is not bad luck its bad cricket. especially with all the straight driving that was going on.

27 May 2017, 19:43 #46

Is it only Root of the current batting line up that this forum hasn't called for to be dropped?

Makes you wonder how they're scoring 300+ on a regular basis..
My darling Maxi

27 May 2017, 20:06 #47

You're very harsh, Marsker.

27 May 2017, 20:40 #48

Correct Dwight, how we've won our last 8 ODI's with a batting line containing a top 7 of who I've seen 6 called for to be dropped I'll never know!

27 May 2017, 21:40 #49

You back up, yes, a couple of yards. You do it all the time. Perhaps twice or three times in a career you get run out from a deflection. Is that a reason for not backing up any of the tens of thousand of deliveries you're out there for?

28 May 2017, 09:36 #50

Spot on Dave. All kids are taught to back up as a Root did. In a career it might happen once or twice at most and it's just tough luck. But if you adopt the cautious approach and stay rooted in your crease then I bet you get run out at the other end a damn sight more often in a career.