England players

09 Sep 2016, 18:52 #31

When the international free period in September was decided for the last two CC fixtures, I feel sure that the planners were hoping for a competitive conclusion, with challenging top county teams at full strength. The ECB have rather ruined this idea, especially for Yorkshire with all of our England players - so their unavailability is a severe handicap compared with our rivals unless they release Bairstow, Rashid, Plunkett and Willey. If we suffer two injuries next week etc.....
I'm not sure that it is like waving a magic wand that when our eng players turn up. They did nothing in the 20/20 final.

As to the debate about central contracts it would be interesting to go back to the introduction of them and why. Thinking back to when David Lloyd was eng coach, there was a feeling around the eng team and management that it was the counties were indifferent to the national team. Interesting that the view on here that now has turned 180.

09 Sep 2016, 19:05 #32

Plunkett, Willey and Rashid are in the squad for Monday, Rafiq, Coad and Fisher step down.

09 Sep 2016, 19:29 #33

Nice that they made a decision so early!

I'm surprised they have told us before Sunday evening!

09 Sep 2016, 20:15 #34

Actually Rash is the only one I'd pick.

09 Sep 2016, 20:24 #35

Plunkett, Willey and Rashid are in the squad for Monday, Rafiq, Coad and Fisher step down.
Rather unfortunate for Rafiq who has contributed excellently against Notts and Durham, especially with the bat, and has not had much chance to bowl long spell but Rashid should be preferred spin option. I suppose Plunkett and Willey are stand by options in case any of the first choice seamers are not fully fit for Monday. The mid order batting, especially Gale, is our only weakness but unless they have second thoughts about Bairstow we have not much choice but to play same top 5 as Durham match and hope someone (or two) will play big innings. Fear Trescothick will score big for them - he is still a very fine opening batsman.

09 Sep 2016, 20:28 #36

Plunkett might come in for Patto whose father is quite seriously ill apparently, he was in Hull yesterday visiting him before shooting off back to Leeds i was told by a work colleague who knows the family.

Hope everything is okay with Patto first and foremost, family comes first.

09 Sep 2016, 22:27 #37

What an absolutely ridiculous thread this has turned into. Root played a round of golf today and didn't post a message on Twitter therefore he doesn't care about Yorkshire- absolutely absurb, get a grip.

Back to the original subject, and glad to see that all three have been released. Rashid in for Rafiq clearly, but I agree with Idle Man other than that: if Patto is OK to play- and I very much hope all is well with him- then I would stick with our pace attack as it is.

09 Sep 2016, 22:43 #38

I generally agree with you JG. I think you're right about selection on this occasion, though there may be some sense in considering Plunkett for the Somerset game. Tim has had a very busy schedule and might benefit from a rest.

10 Sep 2016, 08:35 #39

What an absolutely ridiculous thread this has turned into. Root played a round of golf today and didn't post a message on Twitter therefore he doesn't care about Yorkshire- absolutely absurb, get a grip.

Back to the original subject, and glad to see that all three have been released. Rashid in for Rafiq clearly, but I agree with Idle Man other than that: if Patto is OK to play- and I very much hope all is well with him- then I would stick with our pace attack as it is.
agreed JG

without going into specifics i really feel some need to get a major grip on themselves.

10 Sep 2016, 10:26 #40

The recent match shows why Patterson has to play (if he feels up to it). The Notts innings set off at a rapid rate. The bowlers were changed and still the runs flowed. Eventually Gale brought Patterson on. Steve's first over went for 14. Thankfully Gale kept his nerve, Patto's next 10 overs went for 12 & oh yes he took 2 wickets.

Plunkett is a replacement for Brooks or Bresnan. Patterson's role is different.