England in India - White ball

England in India - White ball

12 Jan 2017, 08:38 #1

Strong Yorkshire presence in the warm-up match against India A.

Good job from JB with a 64 and decent 71 run last wicket stand from Willey and Rashid after a bit of a mid innings collapse.

Dave would have been proud of taking the picture on cricinfo showing part of Jason Roy's helmet falling off, hitting the wicket and leading to his dismissal. Bummer.

12 Jan 2017, 08:50 #2

There is real competition for places in this England middle order, so much so, that I think Jonny might find it difficult to force his way in!

Root, Morgan, Stokes, Billings, Buttler, Bairstow. All very fine white ball players.

12 Jan 2017, 11:45 #3

England has been absolutely walloped in the latest game.
Look out for Pant, the next big Indian superstar.

12 Jan 2017, 11:46 #4

There is real competition for places in this England middle order, so much so, that I think Jonny might find it difficult to force his way in!

Root, Morgan, Stokes, Billings, Buttler, Bairstow. All very fine white ball players.
I suspect statistics will tell us different, but you sense that Morgan is the most inconsistent of the players listed above, and were he not captain would be vulnerable.

12 Jan 2017, 13:05 #5

Photo of Roy out hit-wicket:
http://www.espncricinfo.com/india-v-eng ... 3;dir=next

I'm always astonished at the quality of these photos, even given the £10,000 - £20,000 telephoto lens these guys use, compared with mine, which would have been around £1,600 new, but I didn't buy it new! I assume they don't, either, not until their careers are well launched.

The photographer has got his timing right, too, in this case. Perhaps lucky...but, like Gary Player, they get lucky often.

I watched Jason Roy play several times last season, in red-ball cricket, and I think he failed every time, against both Yorkshire and Lancashire. He looks clueless; similar with Hales.

So, my question is...
Why don't they bat the same way in 4-day cricket?

If the answer is that you can't, with fields set differently, then why don't they set First Class fields and bowl First Class lines & lengths in One Day cricket?

Or is the white ball so different, in playing characteristics, that you can't do that either? Or is it just the players' mind-set? Both teams. I really would like to see Sidebottom and Brooks opening the bowling in the RL50, with three slips, a gully, and a bat-pad - even no third man! - and see what happens, what the opposition batsmen do. Has any captain ever tried it?
Bowlers win matches

12 Jan 2017, 14:41 #6

That's what the Gillette Cup was like when it started DM.

I suppose you would have to look at the outcomes. If we bowled and set fields like that and the opposition were 60-0 off the first eight overs, then one could equally ask why batsmen shouldn't apply their one day approach in the Championship. But I'm with you, and you do see something like it sometimes, but only when a side have been bowled out cheaply and have to take wickets.

12 Jan 2017, 15:14 #7

I think 50 over cricket (from a bowling perspective) is reverting back to old style cricket. Bowling for economy has gone out of the window to a large extent - bowling for wickets is now seen as the best way of slowing the scoring rate

12 Jan 2017, 15:45 #8

The white ball barely moves off the straight, majority of the time.
My darling Maxi

15 Jan 2017, 08:24 #9

England lost the toss on what the 'experts' reckon will be a high scoring pitch.

Bairstow, Billings, Plunkett and Dawson miss out.

Can't really argue with the team picked. Morgan is my only doubt and he's the captain. Suspect he's safe now until the Champions Trophy.

15 Jan 2017, 09:02 #10

Morgan averages 45 at a strike rate of pretty much 100 since taking over as captain, with performances like that why would his position be in doubt?