England Contracted Players

18 Apr 2017, 09:52 #11

Can someone please tell me who and how are the restrictions placed on who can and can not play in CC? Anderson played for Lancs in first round of CC games, Broad also for Notts. Cook playing now for Essex. Buttler Jordan, Morgan, Stokes playing IPL. Am I paranoid, but seems the only folk needing a rest are Bairstow, Root and Woakes, and Bairstow particularly hasn't played in an age.
So the ECB are saving Bairstow for the one dayer v Ireland as neither of their preferred odi keepers are available as they are playing in the ipl.

Why don't they ask Buttler and Billings to rest in the ipl and pick them for the Ireland match?

18 Apr 2017, 10:02 #12

Can someone please tell me who and how are the restrictions placed on who can and can not play in CC? Anderson played for Lancs in first round of CC games, Broad also for Notts. Cook playing now for Essex. Buttler Jordan, Morgan, Stokes playing IPL. Am I paranoid, but seems the only folk needing a rest are Bairstow, Root and Woakes, and Bairstow particularly hasn't played in an age.
The whole ECB resting policy is a joke!! If JB has been picked for the IPL, who would have kept against Ireland as Billings & Buttler are out there as well. It`s ok to play in the IPL and tire your self out, but if not selected for the IPL you have to rest.

As an aside - are Morgan, Stokes, Woakes, Billings, Buttler & Roy being ordered back to play against Ireland in 3 weeks time or are the ODI Captain, two of Englands better all rounders, their first and second choice 1 day keepers and their first choice opener being allowed to stay in India and miss the Ireland game?

18 Apr 2017, 11:07 #13

What's next from the ECB? When we get our England players we have from let Root Captain the side so he gets practice? Or he has to field in a certain position. Or Bairstow when keeping has to be given x amount of wides?

18 Apr 2017, 11:36 #14

"As an aside - are Morgan, Stokes, Woakes, Billings, Buttler & Roy being ordered back to play against Ireland in 3 weeks time or are the ODI Captain, two of Englands better all rounders, their first and second choice 1 day keepers and their first choice opener being allowed to stay in India and miss the Ireland game?"

Haven't you heard - the ECB have suddenly decided that 50 over cricket is no longer a priority - that's why from 2020 the new T20 domestic competition will clash with the domestic 50 over comp, thus ensuring that our elite players never get the opportunity to practice their 50 over skills outside of internationals. Ludicrous!

18 Apr 2017, 12:48 #15

Last I heard from the ipl was that Roy and Morgan were being rested - by their franchises rather than the ecb!

18 Apr 2017, 15:07 #16

When I originally posted this I hoped there was something I was missing. Apparently not. I wonder what the point of producing players for International Cricket is? What good has it done for Durham, what good is it doing for Yorkshire? How much good has it done for Surrey and Middlesex developing very few. Unfortunately until there is some clarity in the process there will be accusations of bias, and the game as a whole will sadly be the loser.

21 Apr 2017, 15:17 #17

Interview with Jonny Bairstow. Somewhat inconsistent views on England players resting:-http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricke ... oving.html

27 Apr 2017, 10:01 #18

I seem to have picked up on twitter that the ecb have allowed Johnny to play for us in the next few days after all....

For our second team but not the one day first team stuff coming up.

If it wasn't already farcical enough this just takes to a new level

27 Apr 2017, 10:33 #19

Don't believe everything you read on twitter.

All England players have been released for the first three RL Cup Games. Bairstow and several other 1st teamers are getting white ball practice in today's 2nd team game at York.

27 Apr 2017, 10:42 #20

Outrageous that he goes straight into the 2nds at the expense of our loyal stalwarts. He should serve his time in the 3rds and earn his place!