EDITORIAL | We need to talk about JONNY!

16 Sep 2016, 14:26 #31

I suspect all records will be broken next week, whatever happens!

16 Sep 2016, 14:31 #32

We have seen a significant uptick in traffic this summer: August saw the highest monthly page view total and a record one day volume. Next week's match may result in new records again.

We take our Yorkshire cricket seriously on the WRF.

ALEX
I am all for Fairness and Balance and suggest they make up a useful pair in our middle order. Perhaps the ECB could do us a further favour and carry out a Root and Branch review and then let them open the batting.

My fear is that they will do something else and make a Pigs ear or a Bears toe (sic) of the whole thing.

16 Sep 2016, 15:12 #33

Waite a moment TU. I think the decision will see a Leaning towards one Side. Bottom of the pile will be any consideration of the players or fans wishes.

Whatever is decided will Brook no argument. They'll just PLunkett down on the table, No Willey, won't he, no Lyth maneouvring, no Rhodes leading to any sort of amicable , Rashional solution.

It will be the normal Carve(r) up seeing us left with the Lees at the bottom of the barrel when matters come to a Head.

16 Sep 2016, 15:24 #34

You've outdone me there....

16 Sep 2016, 16:15 #35

GG68 - you ask "imagine how a top Premier League manager would react...."

Which gives us a good opportunity to make the point that Premier League football clubs are essentially self-financing - they generate enough money - gate, hospitality, merchandising, TV rights to run their operation - to pay their players & staff etc. They do not need a year-in-year-out hand out from the FA to keep operating.

County Clubs don't generate enough revenue to be self-financing, they are bleeding cash. And they rely on the Central Body cash handout.

Reality bites. That is a key difference. I'm all for more balance towards the County game. But, County Cricket is a financial basket case.

It relies on the ECB handout, so has to "give up" much more than (for eg) a football club would.

16 Sep 2016, 17:26 #36

Cricket Ireland showing flexibility on Tim Murtagh as he is now cleared to play for Middlesex against YCCC before tour of SA first game 25th Sept

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ireland/con ... 57441.html

There has been a long and mutually beneficial relationship between Middlesex and Ireland, and we felt it would further strengthen our close ties by showing some flexibility on this occasion."

17 Sep 2016, 10:27 #37

GG68 - you ask "imagine how a top Premier League manager would react...."

Which gives us a good opportunity to make the point that Premier League football clubs are essentially self-financing - they generate enough money - gate, hospitality, merchandising, TV rights to run their operation - to pay their players & staff etc. They do not need a year-in-year-out hand out from the FA to keep operating.

County Clubs don't generate enough revenue to be self-financing, they are bleeding cash. And they rely on the Central Body cash handout.

Reality bites. That is a key difference. I'm all for more balance towards the County game. But, County Cricket is a financial basket case.

It relies on the ECB handout, so has to "give up" much more than (for eg) a football club would.
Good point Phil. The main cash the football clubs get is from TV rights. County cricket doesn't get this sort of income - in fact are any County Cricket matches of any sort televised? I don't know as I haven't got Sky! BBC/ITV used to show them in the old days.

17 Sep 2016, 11:38 #38

Phil, you say that counties rely on the ECB handout, so has to "give up" much more than (for eg) a football club would. But are not the counties the ECB and the ECB the counties? Every debate of this nature leads back to Gideon Haigh's question: does cricket make money to exist or exist to make money?

17 Sep 2016, 11:57 #39

Just to clarify that ECB increment contracts do NOT work as suggested in the OP. The situation described there is what happens with uncontracted players who get picked for England; those with an increment contract receive a salary from the ECB alongside their county salary, and the county is compensated when the player is not available.

More info if you're interested at the below link:

http://www.thepca.co.uk/england_contracts.html

17 Sep 2016, 13:38 #40

There seems to be some confusion on how England players are paid. Here are some actual numbers:

Jonny Bairstow is listed as:

Retainer Fee: County salary
Test Fee: £12,000
ODI: £5,000
T20: £2,500

England Salaries