EDITORIAL | We need to talk about JONNY!

16 Sep 2016, 11:25 #21

But, Papag1 - how would you word any level playing field regulation?

Surely not - all England players, regardless of injury, fitness & mental fatigue will be made available for the last two rounds of Championship Cricket.

It'd have to include something like - all England players who, in the opinion of (Bayliss, Farbrace & Gibson for eg) are physically & mentally fit, will be made available for the last two rounds of Championship Cricket.

We've got that Level Playing Field now.

Anyway - I've said before - I detect that posters would like more balance, that the needs of the players & Team England be better balanced with the needs of Counties & the Championship.

To do that, we need another voice at the Table. Another voice to gently challenge Bayliss, Farbrace & Gibson. A Voice to represent the County Game in general.

That's all I've got I'm afraid....
Much of the debate about fairness in treatment of Yorks is fuelled by the sheer volume of players provided, thus unavailable to Yorkshire.

If we are aiming to level the playing field, as opposed to the us v them debate,then that could be created by allowing any county with , say, more than 2 maybe 3, players called into a squad being given licence to recruit more overseas players or to bring in 'enmergency' loans to compensate.

Not perfect,and I am sure many will find holes in the proposal, but we need to find solutions to the problem that don't revolve around perceived bias and unfairness and go some way to compensating counties that provide so many players to the ECB.

16 Sep 2016, 11:37 #22

Well. Despite backing off. I must associate myself with the post from EastYorkshireTyke.

Individuals need managing Individually.

I tell you - it's just Bayliss, Farbrace & Gibson doing what they think is right.....
Quote: "Individuals need managing Individually. I tell you - it's just Bayliss, Farbrace & Gibson doing what they think is right....."

I am sure that is the case, but I think it is about how far you take this policy. I don't think a situation should exist where the England coaching staff gets 100% of everything it wants regardless of its effects elsewhere - in this case, the integrity of a first class cricket competition. I also don't agree that the England set-up's judgement is flawless. Just one example - Ballance's recall in July.

16 Sep 2016, 11:37 #23

Much of the debate about fairness in treatment of Yorks is fuelled by the sheer volume of players provided, thus unavailable to Yorkshire.

If we are aiming to level the playing field, as opposed to the us v them debate,then that could be created by allowing any county with , say, more than 2 maybe 3, players called into a squad being given licence to recruit more overseas players or to bring in 'enmergency' loans to compensate.

Not perfect,and I am sure many will find holes in the proposal, but we need to find solutions to the problem that don't revolve around perceived bias and unfairness and go some way to compensating counties that provide so many players to the ECB.
I am all for fairness and balance and catering for players different needs, but Woakes is available for Warwickshire for their last two games (as announced by the ECB) and Bairstow is not. Woakes has played considerably more cricket than Jonny in the last month plus bowlers supposedly need more rest than batsmen. Where is the fairness and balance there?

16 Sep 2016, 11:47 #24

Stu, as above they are managed individual. Some need more some less cricket. No manager or coach in any sport is going to explain to every fans satisfaction, why each player is or isn't playing.

I like the idea of extra overseas players if you provide extra players to England. That seems workable and not overly complicated.

16 Sep 2016, 11:49 #25

I am all for fairness and balance and catering for players different needs, but Woakes is available for Warwickshire for their last two games (as announced by the ECB) and Bairstow is not. Woakes has played considerably more cricket than Jonny in the last month plus bowlers supposedly need more rest than batsmen. Where is the fairness and balance there?
http://warwickshireccc.com/news/chris-w ... rds-final/

The ECB announced the exact opposite of what you suggest Stuart.

16 Sep 2016, 12:17 #26

The reason some of us are anti England has been when England called up a significant number of Yorkshireman for the West zIndies tour in 2015 then didn't play a significant number of them.

Team England are turning into the rich kids who can't play with all of his toys but won't let anyone else play with them either.

Ps And as I said before anyone picking Ballance for England on the back of his 100 against Middlesex at Scarborough is stupid

16 Sep 2016, 12:31 #27

http://warwickshireccc.com/news/chris-w ... rds-final/

The ECB announced the exact opposite of what you suggest Stuart.
Compare the situation with football. Imagine how a top Premier League manager would react on being told that his best players would only play for him for 20% of the games all season!They would be incandescent! Imagine going to a big game only to find each side is missing several of its star players. You wouldn't bother paying to go.In football the big club sides have a lot of power and money whilst the Counties are weak with very few cards to play. However they are needed to feed players into the international game.
The problem has developed over the last 30 years because England play so much cricket(?too much) all the year round. Back in the past it was five tests in summer and five in winter. Players were only missing from their clubs for a few games.
In fact, unless you have an incredible depth of talent, the best side to have to win the championship is one with good players that aren't quite good enough to get picked for England. Also don't sign a player that is likely to be picked for England as you'll hardly see him play for you!

16 Sep 2016, 12:59 #28

We have emailed the YCCC (Mr. Arthur) and requested a reaction to the above editorial. Hopefully, we will get a reply.

Alex

16 Sep 2016, 13:36 #29

Not related but I have noticed there have been new posts on sixteen different threads so far today. That must be a WRF record.

16 Sep 2016, 14:12 #30

We have seen a significant uptick in traffic this summer: August saw the highest monthly page view total and a record one day volume. Next week's match may result in new records again.

We take our Yorkshire cricket seriously on the WRF.

ALEX