Durham problems

29 Sep 2016, 08:49 #21

Think I read that the ECB think it needs a decent amount of reserves in case a cricket tour is cancelled at short notice.
For example if something like the 7/7 bombings in London had happened this year a couple of days before the Pakistan touring team arrived and on advice on the Government the tour was cancelled.
The Durham situation simply shows the folly of trying to create new international match venues, but not being able to give them all enough fixtures to help to pay for their extra development. Apart from the 6 long established test venues we now have Rose Bowl, Durham, Cardiff and even Bristol. With Lords being guaranteed a game in each test series, even with the heavy schedule on international fixtures during an English season, there are not enough to satisfy so many venues. It would be very sad, after seeing Durham emerge several decades ago, to see them go downhill and perhaps disappearing even as just a County Club.

03 Oct 2016, 13:56 #23

They have got a 3.8 million loan from the ECB so I have heard, doubt they will be able to pay top money for players for a very long time

03 Oct 2016, 14:02 #24

Very harsh on Durham. Just about every county is in debt, the test grounds more so, and some of them have much bigger debts than Durham. So why them?? I appreciate there are different circumstances with each debt, but still seems very harsh to me, especially when the ECB are sitting on reserves of 70m and it was under the ECB instructions that some of the debt was spent on getting International status for CLS.

One less easy away travel for us next season, and we have instead, a trip down to Southampton.

Not only are they relegated, they have lost their test matches at CLS and start next season -48 points, so it is a triple whammy plus a new salary cap.

03 Oct 2016, 14:05 #25

it is not nice to be relegated but what difference will it make none they will still play first class cricket and if they finish bottom so what they will not be demoted to minor league cricket .and they will still pay very good wages no matter what profits they make .

03 Oct 2016, 14:24 #26

The full penalty is even worse than above - points deducted in the T20 and the 50 over comp as well.

From Cricinfo

"Durham have been relegated from the top flight of the County Championship, with Hampshire staying up in their place, after being hit with a penalty for receiving financial support from the ECB during the 2016 season. They will begin 2017 in Division Two with a 48-point penalty in return for a £3.8m bailout.

The club has accepted it will no longer be allowed to bid to host Test matches at Chester-le-Street, although they will be eligible for ODIs and T20 internationals. They will also start next season with -4 points in the NatWest T20 Blast and -2 points in the Royal London Cup; hand back non-player related ECB prize money for 2016; and be subject to a more closely controlled salary cap until 2020......".

03 Oct 2016, 14:28 #27

£2 Million of debt Durham owed to the ECB has been written off, which may well explain the sanctions in place. Otherwise 17 other counties would be asking for similar financial favours.
No Pyrah, no party

03 Oct 2016, 14:36 #28

I have a good friend who follows durham, he's not at all bothered by relegation. Much nicer places to visit in div 2. Worcester Sussex Kent Gloucestershire Glamorgan.

03 Oct 2016, 14:43 #29

Feel a bit sorry for Durham but glad they have accepted the punishment.
If this happened in football be legal challenges and constant newspaper reports about how fans been shafted.

03 Oct 2016, 15:14 #30

I presume that Durham knew this would be the consequence when they accepted the bail out.....?