Day / Night test Birmingham Aug 17

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Day / Night test Birmingham Aug 17

October 7th, 2016, 3:24 pm #1

Surprised the day / night test has yet to be discussed (West Indies at Birmingham Aug '17).

Personal visit: Not sure I see the point to it other than to satisfy Sky who'll probably get better viewing figures for the evening sessions as compared to the morning slot. Think other than initial novelty value, won't increase ticket sales over time.

Cant see it being a winner with supporters. Weather could be problematic but the finish time more so. Late nights, hardly child, elderly or next-day worker friendly. A group from my club in Doncaster have been to the last two Birmingham tests, for a day/night they could be getting home after midnight. With work the next day, not attractive.

I had one spell working shifts many years ago. Hated '2 - 10' - morning was wasted waiting to go to work and you finished to late to do anything at the end of the day. Same applies to this idea.

Lets be clear, its all about SKY and what they want. For Harrison not to mention this today,shows the dishonesty of the man.

October 7th, 2016, 3:30 pm #2

I am convinced more people are deterred by late finishes than are attracted by them.

October 7th, 2016, 3:46 pm #3

Surprised the day / night test has yet to be discussed (West Indies at Birmingham Aug '17).

Personal visit: Not sure I see the point to it other than to satisfy Sky who'll probably get better viewing figures for the evening sessions as compared to the morning slot. Think other than initial novelty value, won't increase ticket sales over time.

Cant see it being a winner with supporters. Weather could be problematic but the finish time more so. Late nights, hardly child, elderly or next-day worker friendly. A group from my club in Doncaster have been to the last two Birmingham tests, for a day/night they could be getting home after midnight. With work the next day, not attractive.

I had one spell working shifts many years ago. Hated '2 - 10' - morning was wasted waiting to go to work and you finished to late to do anything at the end of the day. Same applies to this idea.

Lets be clear, its all about SKY and what they want. For Harrison not to mention this today,shows the dishonesty of the man.
Can you point to this evidence that it's Sky who are pushing for day/night tests please?

October 7th, 2016, 3:55 pm #4

Advertising revenue for the broadcaster - far higher in evening than morning.

Harrison makes no decision without first consulting his preferred broadcast partner (to use modern jargon).

October 7th, 2016, 4:03 pm #5

Can you point to this evidence that it's Sky who are pushing for day/night tests please?
I cannot see the benefit of this. If you are going to pay for a day at a test match then, particularly at the prices charged, you're going to want to het full value for your outlay, so I cannot see grounds starting to fill up in the late afternoon/ early evening as those working come alomg for the latter sessions.

Those invited for the hospitality packages will clear their day for it regardless of the hours of play.

If you have been at work then coming home to watch on Sky will be of benefit and, for me, they are the main beneficaries as I cannot see who else stands to benefit. Transport home will be harder to find at 22.00 and, for those that travel from further afield, there might not be any running at that time of night.

October 7th, 2016, 4:03 pm #6

Advertising revenue for the broadcaster - far higher in evening than morning.

Harrison makes no decision without first consulting his preferred broadcast partner (to use modern jargon).
Oddly some people are all for it. They keep going on about attracting people after work.

My response is that's fine for people who work locally, but no good for anyone who travels to a match. And try getting home from a match by public transport when it finishes at 10pm at night. There would also have to be medical staff on hand as it can still get very cold in the evening in June, never mind April or May

October 7th, 2016, 5:00 pm #7

I cannot see the benefit of this. If you are going to pay for a day at a test match then, particularly at the prices charged, you're going to want to het full value for your outlay, so I cannot see grounds starting to fill up in the late afternoon/ early evening as those working come alomg for the latter sessions.

Those invited for the hospitality packages will clear their day for it regardless of the hours of play.

If you have been at work then coming home to watch on Sky will be of benefit and, for me, they are the main beneficaries as I cannot see who else stands to benefit. Transport home will be harder to find at 22.00 and, for those that travel from further afield, there might not be any running at that time of night.
On the first two days of the recent England v Pakistan test at Edgbaston there were 17,000 empty seats on each day. 34,000 unsold seats in total and people are struggling to see why it might be worth trying to play cricket when more people are free?
If anyone has any evidence Sky have pushed this then please show me it?

Can anyone tell me if Yorkshire's attendances have increased with the introduction of late finishes on a Friday?

October 7th, 2016, 5:21 pm #8

The day-night test match between Australia and New Zealand was very well attended but was over in less than three days.
I suspect the pink ball, diminishing light and changing conditions at dusk will have had an effect.

I'm sceptical but not averse to the experiment, so long as the ECB uses the cricketing evidence rather more than the financial evidence, to assess whether or not the experiment goes forward.
It's surprising to me, that the day-night experiment is being taken on in England given existing attendance patterns, the extended summer twilight and the cool evenings.

October 7th, 2016, 5:24 pm #9

On the first two days of the recent England v Pakistan test at Edgbaston there were 17,000 empty seats on each day. 34,000 unsold seats in total and people are struggling to see why it might be worth trying to play cricket when more people are free?
If anyone has any evidence Sky have pushed this then please show me it?

Can anyone tell me if Yorkshire's attendances have increased with the introduction of late finishes on a Friday?
EYT, most of those people who are free to come to the evening session are only free for half (or less) of the performance so there will have to be some allowance made in the pricing to attract them. Discounted tickets for part of the day are similar to empty seats, they reduce the overall income from the potential income so there might not be any gain.

In fact, with the availability on Sky, they might well reduce the overall attendance and resulting income rather than increasing it.However, I am sure the increased payments from Sky will cover that so the ECB will not care and will have even less regard for those who actually attend games.

Comparing the purest form of the game with the contrivance that is T20 is not really comparing apples with apples.

October 7th, 2016, 5:43 pm #10

Leg Glace, what are these increased payments from Sky for switching this test to day/night, I must've missed it when it was announced?