Day/Night Championship match

22 Oct 2016, 15:46 #21

Of course, the upside to this is that the purpose of this particular pantomime is to prepare the test players for the day/night test in August so all Test players need to be made available for their counties. This presents a difficulty when each international game requires a minimum of 2 weeks assembling and mind training, group hugging and golf outings before each game.

It seems the ideal date for the day night Championship round will be April 1st.

22 Oct 2016, 18:44 #22

Why don't we start a game at 7am? Then we could attract a whole new audience. Night workers on the way home, children could see the first session before school and the members could turn up for the last 2 sessions. Also the game could be shown live on breakfast TV. If the game finished at 2 we could even squeeze a t20 game in as well.

22 Oct 2016, 21:57 #23

well this is it the ECB are not bothered about people who watch county cricket they are only bothered about sky tv , and what is more concerning is that the ringleader for all the change is our own ex-chairman colin graves and everyone nose if we don't do as we are told the plug will be pulled on finances .
So how will it benefit Sky TV, who is all likelihood won't show any of the day/night county games?

23 Oct 2016, 11:34 #24

I'm a little surprised by the negativity here (actually, come to think of it, perhaps I'm not). On the one hand, people complain (rightly) that CC games aren't played at the weekend, so people who work/study/go to school can't get to games. But then an idea that allows such people to watch cricket comes up - and we get more complaints.

As things stand, its hard for me to see CC cricket - if I leave work bang on time, and I was minded to go see Slurrey or M*******x, I could get about 20 minutes in at the end of the third session - not really worth it. However, I might well be tempted by 3 or 4 hours.

I understand that it's not ideal for people who don't live near the grounds, and there will be issues with temperatures, but there are no easy answers to please everyone. This idea (once or twice a season) gives more people the opportunity to see live county cricket.

23 Oct 2016, 15:55 #25

how can the ECB say that if bad light halts play you can put the floodlights on for a while until it gets really dark then you have to come off and now we will have a day-night game when you can use the floodlights as and when , and I do know that they will use a pink ball .

23 Oct 2016, 16:29 #26

You answered your own question Peter. Well done.

23 Oct 2016, 17:38 #27

Yes CS I'm against this. I'm one of those wholans his life round cricket rather than the other way round. Your argument is that they should make my life even more complicated so the those who aren't as Leeds, but live near the ground, can have the chance to see more cricket.

The same argument was used when they started moving Sunday League games to day/nighters. And yes in the first season there was a large crowd. By year 4/5 not only were the day/night crowds own, but they had succeeded in cutting the One Day League crowds.

Championship crowds aren't massive, but it's usually accepted that Yorkshire are among the best supported, probably the best. This proposal is going to happen in the season where we already have one less home match. To me it looks like they are saying that existing followers don't matter.

23 Oct 2016, 20:12 #28

I don't think it's that, plenty of teams have minimal followings at CC games, most teams come no where near YCCC following. This sort of thing is done with those counties in mind.

23 Oct 2016, 20:27 #29

Yes CS I'm against this. I'm one of those wholans his life round cricket rather than the other way round. Your argument is that they should make my life even more complicated so the those who aren't as Leeds, but live near the ground, can have the chance to see more cricket.

The same argument was used when they started moving Sunday League games to day/nighters. And yes in the first season there was a large crowd. By year 4/5 not only were the day/night crowds own, but they had succeeded in cutting the One Day League crowds.

Championship crowds aren't massive, but it's usually accepted that Yorkshire are among the best supported, probably the best. This proposal is going to happen in the season where we already have one less home match. To me it looks like they are saying that existing followers don't matter.
My main day for watching live sport (football & cricket) is Saturday but lately Yorkshire have very few home fixtures which include Saturday play - I sometimes wonder what County Cricketers do on Saturdays!

One less Championship match plus a day/nighter which I can`t get to - I`m getting the feeling that County members are now seen as a nuisance by the ECB - we`re a nettle which must be grasped!

23 Oct 2016, 20:37 #30

I don't think it's that, plenty of teams have minimal followings at CC games, most teams come no where near YCCC following. This sort of thing is done with those counties in mind.
Thought Tom Harrison on his lunchtime interview with Aggers today seemed to be saying it might be too difficult to ensure the CC day nighters were played when the England players would be available.

The Edgbaston test seems to be designed to give the England players some practice to prepare for a day nighter in the Ashes series.

The round of CC games seem to be designed purely to see how it goes and hopefully pick up some new spectators.