Crane for England. Why?

Moderator: Assistant Moderator

Crane for England. Why?

January 3rd, 2018, 7:29 pm #1

Chris Waters has written an article abourt Crane being picked for England whilst Adil is left at home. Why?

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/m ... -1-8937032

I'll put my 2ps worth in.

Adil can be brilliant, yet he's also bowled some of the worst filth I've ever seen. BUT Dilly is a wicket taker, even when its not going right. As an example (not first class) in a 50 over match last summer Rashid bowled beautifully, apart from one truely awful delivery, which got a wicket!!

To me his England problem is twofold.

Firstly Yorkshire have used Rashid as an attacking bowler so provided he takes wickets they are happy(ish). England usually think of their spin bowler as someone to bring on to give the pace bowlers a rest. The spinner may take wickets but his main job is to keep the runs down. This isn't Adil.

Secondly Rashid just doesn't fit in with Team England. It was Shahzad who pointed out that due to his upbringing Adil isn't (& I'm paraphrasing here) 'one of the boys'. This isn't a criticism, everyone if affected by their upbringing. But in recent years England have made a big thing about being together. Again, this isn't Adil.

I still think England are wrong. With the right treatment Rashid could/should have been a wicket taking England regular. Long may he keep taking wickets for Yorkshire ... whilst 'the faithful' moan at bad balls. The last 2 seasons should have shown everyone that 'Dilly' is the only player for who we don't have a replacement in First Class cricket ... as Rafiq is a one day bowler & Carver isn't ready (will he ever be?)

PS Yes I was there in 2006. And a question. Why was Rashid in the team for that match?

January 3rd, 2018, 7:46 pm #2

Wasn't he picked as a batsman in 2006 because Lehmann was missing?

Anyway, one thing in Crane's favour: he played for New South Wales last winter and by all accounts bowled well. This isn't exactly unknown territory for him and It'll be fascinating to see how he goes on what could be a helpful pitch.

January 3rd, 2018, 8:34 pm #3

Chris Waters has written an article abourt Crane being picked for England whilst Adil is left at home. Why?

Adil can be brilliant, yet he's also bowled some of the worst filth I've ever seen. BUT Dilly is a wicket taker, even when its not going right. As an example (not first class) in a 50 over match last summer Rashid bowled beautifully, apart from one truely awful delivery, which got a wicket!!

Firstly Yorkshire have used Rashid as an attacking bowler so provided he takes wickets they are happy(ish). England usually think of their spin bowler as someone to bring on to give the pace bowlers a rest. The spinner may take wickets but his main job is to keep the runs down. This isn't Adil.

Secondly Rashid just doesn't fit in with Team England. It was Shahzad who pointed out that due to his upbringing Adil isn't (& I'm paraphrasing here) 'one of the boys'. This isn't a criticism, everyone if affected by their upbringing. But in recent years England have made a big thing about being together. Again, this isn't Adil.

I still think England are wrong. With the right treatment Rashid could/should have been a wicket taking England regular. Long may he keep taking wickets for Yorkshire ... whilst 'the faithful' moan at bad balls. The last 2 seasons should have shown everyone that 'Dilly' is the only player for who we don't have a replacement in First Class cricket ... as Rafiq is a one day bowler & Carver isn't ready (will he ever be?)

PS Yes I was there in 2006. And a question. Why was Rashid in the team for that match?
From what I gather, they feel Leach doesn't fit with the mould either. Speaking from personal experience, having come through a long and painful job search just over a year ago, this follows a similar pattern to the wider world outside cricket, where "fit" seems to be the no.1 criteria for all recruiters, over ability and credentials. No doubt someone will step in and tell me why this has to be the case for them and their business or department, but us "quiet ones" have a lot to offer too!

January 3rd, 2018, 8:55 pm #4

I agree with Dpressed's analysis - much more than 2p worth! Oddly, I also remember Shahzad making that remark; it stuck with me as obviously it has with Dpressed.

Yorkshire always had Patto to keep it tight. The fact that Bresnan (and also Rashid) could bat allowed us to play four seamers + the attacking, match-winning Adil, and the formula yielded us two Championships and a couple of near misses.

And yes, I still want us to sign a spinner overseas for 2018. And if he's an 18-year-old Afghan, so much the better. Perhaps available August/September? But we don't know if Adil is going to be absent on ODI duty, and with a situation like that how is a county club supposed to plan ahead?
Bowlers win matches

January 3rd, 2018, 8:58 pm #5

According to the written word of Dave Morton, and who would doubt that, on arrival at Scarborough Adil was asked by Craig White, “Do you bowl at all?” I desperately hope that’s true.

Though I love Adil’s cricket almost as much as I did before the Lord’s episode I don’t think he’s a test bowler. If I was even considering Crane however I’d have Adil on the next available plane. And the ECB need to look at what they have created. They’ve picked a bowler who can’t get in his county side for half the season because of their ridiculous scheduling. He’s played 29 first class matches. I hope I’m wrong but the most likely outcome is something along the lines of the Kerrigan fiasco.

January 3rd, 2018, 9:27 pm #6

A bowling average of nearly 44 doesn't inspire much confidence. A classic way of destroying a potentially good player before he gets going.

///

A great choice by an inspired set of selectors. Some cheer from this series at last.

(One of these to be deleted later in light of events later tonight).

January 3rd, 2018, 11:17 pm #7

"And yes, I still want us to sign a spinner overseas for 2018. And if he's an 18-year-old Afghan, so much the better. Perhaps available August/September? But we don't know if Adil is going to be absent on ODI duty, and with a situation like that how is a county club supposed to plan ahead?"

Since England are playing tests against India during August/September, Yorkshire will likely to have all thrèe spinners available at their disposal.

I expect an overseas signing towards the business end to be a batsman, in the event of Ballance playing test cricket as well as replacing Williamson. Glenn Maxwell, currntly omitted from Australia's ODI squad may well be a suitable candidate for Yorkshire in terms of availability. His ability to bowl off spin is an added bonus and a dimension to a Yorkshire line up in any format.
No Pyrah, no party

January 4th, 2018, 8:11 am #8

I don’t buy the not fitting in part as Moeen Ali is also a devout Muslim who doesn’t drink but has successfully integrated into the team.

I think with Adil it’s more his lack of control like Swann had that makes him unbowlable in some match situations. He seems very introverted and perhaps doesn’t respond well to some of the coaching given by England and like with opening bats some have been tried and discarded quickly.

I’m not sure Crane is the next best option though but he’s the only one there. Bess as an offie May be the better longer term option.

January 4th, 2018, 9:42 am #9

Re Crane, I understand they like the cut of his jib.

January 4th, 2018, 9:50 am #10

Islam is only one of the factors that make up Adil's complex personality, but it is one. I think cultural and family background are important components. Look at his batting. He plays shots which we tend to say come from growing up on the subcontinent's baked pitches, but in this case it's obviously that he grew up in Bradford in an environment where that style was admired. Unless we think that there's a specific gene for casually whipping a straight ball through mid wicket with your wrists? Shahzad, Ali and Rashid have some things in common, but are three different individuals. Just like three followers of any other creed really.

Whatever it is, Adil has a character which separates him from the typical English team sport player. At times it can make him look isolated, indifferent, depressed to us as observers. Maybe folk from his own cultural background would see it differently. He certainly hit it off quickly with Moeen, even though to some extent they are in competition.

Fascinating, frustrating, wonderful cricketer. Not the answer to England's need for a Swann replacement who can both bowl tight and at other times attack - and get top order test batsmen out, however.