Club Cricket

Club Cricket

15 May 2017, 05:42 #1

Just to let you know. Alex Lees played for Lightcliffe this past weekend and made 227 not out. The highest score in Bradford league history. Great to see Alex playing for his local club. I know Gale used to play for Cleckheaton. Do any of our other current players still play the odd game for their local club?

15 May 2017, 08:56 #2

As I intimated on another thread, many of Yorkshire's younger cricketers have dual registration. This may not be a comprehensive list, and other contributors may be able to add to it.
Jack Leaning and Matthew Waite - York; Ben Coad - Harrogate; Karl Carver - Sheriff Hutton Bridge; Will Rhodes - Stamford Bridge; Josh Shaw - Wakefield St. Michael's; Ryan Gibson - Pudsey Congs; Eliot Callis - Sheffield Collegiate; Jordan Thompson - Pudsey St. Lawrence; James Logan - Farsley; Ben Birkhead - Scholes (Huddersfield).

15 May 2017, 10:32 #3

Just to let you know. Alex Lees played for Lightcliffe this past weekend and made 227 not out. The highest score in Bradford league history. Great to see Alex playing for his local club. I know Gale used to play for Cleckheaton. Do any of our other current players still play the odd game for their local club?
Andrew Hodd played for New Farnley yesterday and turns out for them periodically when YCCC do not require him.

15 May 2017, 11:14 #4

Interesting and thanks for the news on Lees.

This presence of first-class cricketers in the leagues is one of the things which makes the northern leagues different. In a southern league, if say Nick Gubbins turned up to play for the opposition one Saturday and took your attack for a double century, I think there would be a fair amount of grumbling. In the north, not only is it fairly common, but the prevailing attitude is as much 'Right, let's show him' as it is 'Blimey, we'll never get him out.'

15 May 2017, 11:45 #5

Josh Poysden turned out for Barnt Green on Saturday, while Ateeq Javid played for Knowle & Dorridge against him. All the Warwickshire and Worcester "fringe" players play Birmingham League cricket when not otherwise engaged.
Ryan Sidebottom actually bowled for Berkswell on Saturday, also in the Birmingham Premier, alongside Derbyshire's Tom Milnes and Worcestershire's Alex Hepburn, but this one is an Australian (the Solihull Observer originally made the mistake of thinking it was "our" Ryan). Grant Thornton is another player who's at Berkswell, which used to be a modest village club, but now has substantial financial backing.
In recent years they've had several ex-pros play for them, including Darren Maddy, and the captain is Dominic Ostler (once of Moseley and Warwicks.) Back in the mists of time, the club was founded by a woollen magnate from the West Riding called Joshua Hirst Wheatley.

15 May 2017, 12:05 #6

A woollen magnate?
Would that be a magnate made of wool?

I once played in a club game against Earl Percy.
Does that count?

15 May 2017, 12:33 #7

James Weighell of durham plays for Stockdale in the music premier league.

15 May 2017, 12:40 #8

In my neck of the woods John Emburey often plays for Totteridge in the Hertfordshire League, sometimes forming a spin partnership with Monty Panesar. But in both cases it's cash not club loyalty which gets their involvement.

15 May 2017, 12:58 #9

In the blog I was planning before last year's political events disrupted my professional activities, I was hoping to publish a bit of research on two important "cricket people" from the Heavy Woollen District (just to be clear, that's not people who are also crickets or a district which is made of wool). One was Wheatley from Mirfield, the other was Karl André Auty from Dewsbury. Perhaps another time.

15 May 2017, 13:05 #10

More importantly - whats the Music Premier League......???
U2 against Goldfrapp?