Club Cricket

15 May 2017, 13:17 #11

Just to let you know. Alex Lees played for Lightcliffe this past weekend and made 227 not out. The highest score in Bradford league history. Great to see Alex playing for his local club. I know Gale used to play for Cleckheaton. Do any of our other current players still play the odd game for their local club?
Beware of smartphone spellings. Should have read stokesley.in the nysd league.

15 May 2017, 13:25 #12

Just to let you know. Alex Lees played for Lightcliffe this past weekend and made 227 not out. The highest score in Bradford league history. Great to see Alex playing for his local club. I know Gale used to play for Cleckheaton. Do any of our other current players still play the odd game for their local club?
Interesting to hear about pro's in other leagues. Are these relatively recent developments? I was used to the Thames Valley, and although they talk about having 'professionals' these days, they are very much hired guns, not pro's in the old fashioned northern sense of someone who plays, coaches, is an all round good bloke in the club house and so on. But perhaps things have changed at both ends of the country.

On a vaguely similar line, how far has the post-50/5 wickets collection survived? I remember an opening bat coming down to the Thames Valley from South Yorkshire and being stunned that the top performer was buying a jug of ale, rather than having a collection. Always struck me as a clear sense of different cultures! Indeed I had a fantasy of doing a bit of research and trying to draw a line on a map (somewhere in Notts/Derby?)where the divide fell, with an article in one of the cricket mags as a result, involving a visit to the nearest two clubs I could find with different traditions. I had this notion that maybe somewhere you'd have a collection at one end of the town, and have to buy a jug at the other.

15 May 2017, 14:19 #13

Reminds me of Duncan MacMillan's marvelous biography of Harold Larwood - his gentleman skipper at Notts (who's name i cant remember - but i'm sure Dews will tell me..) used to send out to the Trent Bridge Tavern for a bucket of beer to be delivered to the dressing room in time for the lunch interval...

15 May 2017, 15:26 #14

I think it must have been when I was playing as a junior at Mirfield CC in the late 60s that I heard a conversation between a number of older men who had played at Brighouse with the former Yorkshire and England opening bat Frank Lowson. The story was that Lowson would invariably get to his 50 and then, once the collection was in the bag, throw his wicket away. I've since heard or read the same story told of quite a few others.
I've never seen a collection taken at a Birmingham League match, but it may be that the custom once existed and has died out.
At school I remember quite a few boys being paid expenses to play for some of the local teams (there always seemed to be "mill owners" in the background). I also remember one of them telling me that his first dressing room conversation at his new (Hertfordshire) club was: "Would a couple of quid be alright?" To which he replied, "Actually, I wasn't expecting anything." As he eventually realized, the couple of quid was the "subs." he was being asked to pay.

For Steve: Arthur Carr, Duncan Hamilton.

15 May 2017, 16:47 #15

May I apologize to James Wainman for inadvertently omitting him from my original list. He also plays for Farsley.
Indeed, I believe he is captain.
As regards collections, I believe they are still traditional in the Bradford League. I was at a recent match in that league where the opening batsman scored a double century for the home team but no collection was taken. By contrast when an away team player reached 50, the hat was straight round.
Some years ago an outstanding fifteen year old took five wickets but was required to spend his collection on drinks all round in which he could not share ! The following week the same boy scored fifty but his father put his foot down and insisted he kept the collection. I cannot name him as he is currently in the Yorkshire set-up.

15 May 2017, 17:33 #16

I presume Matthew Fisher is also still at Sheriff Hutton.

15 May 2017, 18:04 #17

Yes (SHB) and his brother and other family members also play for them. York, if they so wished, could field a very strong side in the Premier League North if they picked all their local players. Rhodes, Carver, Fisher, Leaning, Waite, all play for clubs within 10 miles of York, plus, of course JB, who went to school in York and lives in a village just outside.

15 May 2017, 18:42 #18

Yes, Stu, but none of the players you name was produced by the York club. Indeed, it is difficult to remember the last player to come from the York club and go on to play county cricket.
I believe that Matthew Fisher is not allotted to his former club, Sheriff Hutton Bridge. When recovering from injury, he turned out for the Academy.
He has two older brothers playing at SHB, one of whom, Mark, is often confused with Matthew by the Yorkshire Post.

15 May 2017, 19:20 #19

Back in the early 1970s when slogging through training in tax law one of the more interesting tax cases I had the pleasure of consigning to memory was that of Moorhouse v Dooland.

This concerned whether or not collections taken by spectators for meritorious performances (5 wickets rings a bell) by professional cricketers like Dooland in Northern Leagues should be taxable as part of their remuneration or were tax exempt as personal gifts.

It was decided that tax was due on such collections.

Chris

15 May 2017, 19:50 #20

I wonder if some of the 'hired guns' in the south claim the cost of a jug as a legitimate expense for tax purposes.